62 Starfire

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:54 AM

62 Starfire

Hi,
Hereīs a thread of my 62 Starfire Coupé, some may have seen it in the newbie forum too.. for those who hasnīt hereīs some info:

Found this car 2008 at my dadīs friend place in norcal, sitting behind his house since 1990 or 1991 due to problems with the engine, They said it might be a spun main bearing or a rod.. no holes in the pan but it was taken out of the car back then and since then nothing is done with it.

Itīs a Cirrus blue car with white top and blue interior, the front seats have been reupholstered once, other than that itīs all original. No power windows or seats.
Does need a new headliner though, anyone who makes them ?

The body is pretty good, no major issues other than some lower quarter rust and some tiny spots on the roof. The side panels pretty good too, got a set of extra doors, front fenders and trunklid in the deal too, all complete with trim.

The Starfire is now at the shipping docks in LA waiting to get to Sweden...

The first thing I will do is a really good clean up of the whole car, check everything that might be missing, put the engine i my enginestand and take off the oilpan and investigate Think I will repaint the enginebay and firewall before I but the engine back too...

Enough talkinī hereīs some photos of it !

BTW anyone know if the wirewheel hubcabs are original ? I want original spinner hubcaps on it anyway...

Last edited by starfire_62; April 14th, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:09 AM
Old School Olds

Sweet find! Good luck with it.
I will be watching your build.
Those 62 Starfires are one of my favorites.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM

Does anyone know if they make new headliners ?
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:47 AM

If you are talking the foam headliner, the answer sadly is no, to my knowledge.
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
If you are talking the foam headliner, the answer sadly is no, to my knowledge.

Yes I was thinking of the foam hedliner, Guess it will work with hardware from a chevy or does the super 88 have a regular headliner or do they also have foam ?

Talked with my dad yesterday, the car will be ready to leave the states next week or so, estimated to be in Sweden in early April.

We discussed the engine fault and he said itīs a trown rod, It does have a hole in the oilpan but no visible damage to the engineblock from the outside,
So now Iīm in need of a oilpan and a rod. Anyone who has one ?

/ Mike
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:49 AM

As my car is a convertible, not a lot of experience with headliners. Do know they are routinely replaced with material, so the bows have to be available. Also know that in fact there is a lot of part interchange between the Olds and the Chevy Impala.
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by starfire_62
So now Iīm in need of a oilpan and a rod. Anyone who has one ?
Man, you have good timing- there are 3 NOS Federal Mogul 394 rods on eBay that popped up a couple days ago. Check it out- they don't come up too often
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:42 AM

Well no need of rods anymore, got the engine home this weekend and pulled it apart, 2 holes in the oilpan, two broken rods, two pistons smashed into pieces, cam had several marks in it, one of the rods had made a couple of scratches to the crank, 3 cracks in the fifth cylinder, so I think itīs a gonner! :P

We found a 61 394 for sale a few hours away, what need to be switched over to make a correct Starfire engine. ? I guess heads and camshaft are different... // Michael
Old March 20th, 2014, 05:58 AM

Anyone who has a 394 block and crank ? The 61 engine we found was sold,
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:42 AM

Got the Starifre to my house yesterday, washed most of the dirt of it, inspected it,
It does need new front floorboards and some repair in the lower quarters, battery tray is gone and missing backup lights. Other than that I donīt think anything major is missning.... Really good chrome on it ! Appears to have been all blue at once, havenīt checked the tag yet.
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:28 AM

I have a 394 engine. 62 which is tore down, needs to be punched 30 over and 63 She hasn't ran in years. I would have to pull it apart to see if she is okay. I cant get to her yet, too much snow around yet. A few weeks yet before I could get to them

Last edited by Kyle's 77 Cutlass; April 7th, 2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:30 PM

62 Starfire in Sweden. More Pics!!!!

Thought it would be time for me to show You guys some pics of the ī62.... Been buffing som chrome and took the rear seat out to make way into the trunk to take apart the trunk lock, key fits and turns over but doesnīt open.....

Well here are some pics...

/ Mike

Old April 15th, 2014, 01:24 PM

I didn't think the key would open the trunk of the 62 parts car I had bought. Then I gave it one more try turning a little past where I thought it should have popped, about 4-5 o'clock. Just when I thought the key would probably break, poink! Opened.
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:03 PM

If you have power trunk you can undo the hose beside the glove box and just suck on the hose and it should open.I have done this in a wrecker to pop open a trunk without the key.
Steve
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Starfire 62- nice, very nice Olds and this is a big task at hand especially from overseas! I have some old Colleagues from Angelhom- HemoCue that I worked for 15 years and miss.
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:47 PM

Hmm looks like I have to try again ! It does have power trunk as well..

therobski - I live 4 hours north of Angelholm, So what do You do for a livin ?
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:06 AM

Hereīs a pic of my driveway ...

ī68 Electra Custom 4d HT, 38500 miles, repainted in 2007, new vinylroof 2008, rebuilt TH400 in 2014.

Last edited by starfire_62; April 16th, 2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old July 7th, 2014, 04:52 AM

Sorry for not been updating here so often... been busy with work and other cars....

Started to work a little with the ī62 yesterday, cleaned out everything in the trunk, there is some rust in the trunk floor walls, or what you call it where the liner has been glued to it and some spots on the panels that meets the quarter panels. Will need a new air cleaner as the base is a gonner.... and a carb has also some rust issues..

Next thing on the list is to power wash the trunk and take the interior out to inspect the floor boards.
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:59 PM

Starfire 62 I'm the medical diagnostics business
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Here are some recent photos of it

Before:

still some water in the trunk when I took this photo..

Lucky me there was an extra trunk lid with car....

Took the hubcaps of, wrong rims too

Last edited by starfire_62; July 8th, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:27 AM

Have done some work on the car lately, took the drivers side door of and hood and trunk lid. Hopefully I can get the front clip of the car this week. Starting to get the car ready for some welding...
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:30 PM

I've got a good used trunk floor tub from a Conv. but it would be really expensive to ship something like that from where I am. I guess if yours needs repair you'll do the repairs the best you can?
Old August 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by chequenman
I've got a good used trunk floor tub from a Conv. but it would be really expensive to ship something like that from where I am. I guess if yours needs repair you'll do the repairs the best you can?
Where are you? , I have an address in North Cal .... what are you asking? / Michael
Old August 13th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by starfire_62
Where are you? , I have an address in North Cal .... what are you asking? / Michael
I'm in mid east Canada just north of Lake Ontario. Just crating alone would be expensive due to it's awkward size and shape. I have drilled all the spot welds when replacing it in my car as the edges of the rear of the floor was rusty. I think a lot of the floor is still attached including one trunk floor extension. I might still have the trunk floor extension for the other side but it might have some pin hole rusting in it... Let me know I you have any real interest as I just scrapped a rusty but complete '62 98 4 door htp.
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by chequenman
I'm in mid east Canada just north of Lake Ontario. Just crating alone would be expensive due to it's awkward size and shape. I have drilled all the spot welds when replacing it in my car as the edges of the rear of the floor was rusty. I think a lot of the floor is still attached including one trunk floor extension. I might still have the trunk floor extension for the other side but it might have some pin hole rusting in it... Let me know I you have any real interest as I just scrapped a rusty but complete '62 98 4 door htp.

Hmm do You have any pics of it ? If so send me an e-mail at m.thunberg@yahoo.com .. / Michael