1970 442 Broken Glove Box Lid Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:43 AM

1970 442 Broken Glove Box Lid Bump Stops

Slowly but surely I am working through all the incorrect items on my 1970 442 Holiday Coupe and am up to tackling the glove box. The light is missing, but a replacement is on its way. The liner is shot and I am yet to buy a repro. Are they all the same or is there a superior one/supplier?
My main problem is that both the bump stop tabs for the lid grommets are broken off. I have not worked on one of these vehicles before and since my car is a driver, was hoping to avoid dismantling the dash just to investigate the problem. Instead I would prefer to draw on someone else's knowledge in advising whether this area is a seperate part/replaceable/obtainable/repairable? That way I can plan/obtain the necessaries before dismantling and minimize the cars' downtime.
Many thanks for any assistance.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:16 AM

That is a very common problem for these cars. I believe it is a engineering design flaw, although to be fair, they really did not expect the cars to be around 45 years after they were made. I have many dash pieces & could send you some repair parts for yours. I would look into using some kind of epoxy to fix it. You could cut out the missing part from the donor parts & "glue" them in from the part of the dash facing the front . Should not be to hard of a job.