1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Glove box removal?

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2015, 04:01 PM

1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Glove box removal?

Trying to remove the clock, and on top of not being able to get at the 1/4 bolts holding it in, I dropped my wrench and it went in the dash. Now I need to take the glove box out.

How does it come out? I have removed all the screws and bolts that I can see with the door open, but I know there has to be something else hidden it isn't even budging.

thank you
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Do you have a factory service manual? I don't know for sure, but I don't think you've even begun to fight.

I had a '73 Custom Cruiser, and to get at the glove box, I had to remove the entire right side lower trim panel. The instrument panel was redesigned for '74 through '76, but I'm guessing that you still have to do that or something like it. The factory service manual, in section 12 (at least in the '73 and '75 manuals it's section 12), has detailed diagrams showing the locations of the various screws and the order in which they should be removed. Well worth getting if you don't have one.
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Do you have a factory service manual? I don't know for sure, but I don't think you've even begun to fight.

I had a '73 Custom Cruiser, and to get at the glove box, I had to remove the entire right side lower trim panel. The instrument panel was redesigned for '74 through '76, but I'm guessing that you still have to do that or something like it. The factory service manual, in section 12 (at least in the '73 and '75 manuals it's section 12), has detailed diagrams showing the locations of the various screws and the order in which they should be removed. Well worth getting if you don't have one.
I do not have one, guess I'll start looking at ebay.

That was not what I wanted to hear... I was hoping it was fairly simple.
Old July 6th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Oldsdruid

My old 76 Custom Cruiser and my 76 Regency both, all you had to do to remove the clock was push it backwards out of the dash and lower it out thru access hole below the clock in glove box. It was a friction fit on the mounting studs.
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 76Olds88
Trying to remove the clock, and on top of not being able to get at the 1/4 bolts holding it in, I dropped my wrench and it went in the dash. Now I need to take the glove box out.

How does it come out? I have removed all the screws and bolts that I can see with the door open, but I know there has to be something else hidden it isn't even budging.

thank you

Hey there. The service manual is a huuuge help and will get you through any job on your 88. Below is a step-by-step for you as I've done this countless times.

In short, the glove box will not come out without first removing the dash pad and the right trim panel that runs horizontally between the upper and lower dashes.

- Remove the Phillips head screw on the far right end of the trim panel (you'll need the RH door open for this). With this screw out, you can carefully pull the trim panel forward.
- CAREFULLY pry out the front speakers with a putty knife.
- Remove the (2) 5/16" bolts behind the speakers
- Remove the Phillips heads screws on both far ends of the upper dash pad (you'll need both doors open for this).
- Remove the (3) Phillips head screws from the top of the speedometer faceplate (these go straight UP into the dash pad).
- Remove the (2) Phillips head screws from the top of the glove box (these also go UP into the dash pad).
- Remove the (1) Phillips head screw that goes diagonally through the glove box into the dash pad.
- Remove both flood lamps from the dash pad and disconnect the leads.
- Set your tilt wheel all the way down and CAREFULLY lift the dash pad up evenly and out.
- Disconnect the leads for the glove box light, power trunk (if equipped), clock, etc and disconnect the duct for the vent.
- Remove the (2) 1/4" screws holding the bottom of the glove box in place.
- Remove the (2) 1/4" screws holding the top of the glove box in place.
- Remove the glove box.

That should be it. Reverse the process to re-install.

Good luck!
John
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
My old 76 Custom Cruiser and my 76 Regency both, all you had to do to remove the clock was push it backwards out of the dash and lower it out thru access hole below the clock in glove box. It was a friction fit on the mounting studs.
That is what everyone has said, but mine has 1/4" hex head screws. No studs. They are obviously factory though looking at them, and this is a very very original car and documented car.

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey there. The service manual is a huuuge help and will get you through any job on your 88. Below is a step-by-step for you as I've done this countless times.

In short, the glove box will not come out without first removing the dash pad and the right trim panel that runs horizontally between the upper and lower dashes.

- Remove the Phillips head screw on the far right end of the trim panel (you'll need the RH door open for this). With this screw out, you can carefully pull the trim panel forward.
- CAREFULLY pry out the front speakers with a putty knife.
- Remove the (2) 5/16" bolts behind the speakers
- Remove the Phillips heads screws on both far ends of the upper dash pad (you'll need both doors open for this).
- Remove the (3) Phillips head screws from the top of the speedometer faceplate (these go straight UP into the dash pad).
- Remove the (2) Phillips head screws from the top of the glove box (these also go UP into the dash pad).
- Remove the (1) Phillips head screw that goes diagonally through the glove box into the dash pad.
- Remove both flood lamps from the dash pad and disconnect the leads.
- Set your tilt wheel all the way down and CAREFULLY lift the dash pad up evenly and out.
- Disconnect the leads for the glove box light, power trunk (if equipped), clock, etc and disconnect the duct for the vent.
- Remove the (2) 1/4" screws holding the bottom of the glove box in place.
- Remove the (2) 1/4" screws holding the top of the glove box in place.
- Remove the glove box.

That should be it. Reverse the process to re-install.

Good luck!
John
I think I may just leave the wrench in the dash... I'm scared to break the dash.
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:33 AM

That is what everyone has said, but mine has 1/4" hex head screws. No studs. They are obviously factory though looking at them, and this is a very very original car and documented car.

I think I may just leave the wrench in the dash... I'm scared to break the dash.

The dashes can be pretty fragile, especially at this age. It's not a bad job to take one out as long as you're very, very careful.

Where exactly did your wrench fall? Maybe you can get to it from underneath the dash?
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
The dashes can be pretty fragile, especially at this age. It's not a bad job to take one out as long as you're very, very careful.

Where exactly did your wrench fall? Maybe you can get to it from underneath the dash?
I was taking the screws going into the clock plate out and it slipped out of my fingers into the opening by the radio inside the glove box
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Oldsdruid

Next question- did car originally have a clock, or a blank-off plate and you're putting a clock in? The blank-off plates had hex-head screws; factory clock jobs had knurled studs retaining the clock body.

When I converted my Regency from non-working digital dash clock to AM-FM-cassette ETR radio, I pulled a blank-off plate out of a 74 Delta 88. I was lucky enough the dash top had already been removed and I could get to the screws from the top.
Old July 6th, 2015, 12:12 PM

I was taking the screws going into the clock plate out and it slipped out of my fingers into the opening by the radio inside the glove box

Hmmm. OK, if I'm understanding you correctly, I may have a much simpler approach for you.

- Pull down the ashtray and release it from the metal support and then the lower tabs (disconnect the cigar lighter in the process).
- Remove the 2 1/4" screws holding in the support bracket (you may want to remove the ashtray light when the bracket comes out).

This will give you good access to the bottom of the radio and from what you described, I believe you should be able to find your wrench this way.

Let me know.