Dash Pad

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2015, 11:25 PM

Dash Pad

So my original dash pad on my 67 Cutlass is cracked from age. Has anyone had theirs restored? Anyone have any suggestions on where to send it or maybe how to DIY? Thanks...
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:27 PM

67 Cutlass Steering Wheel

So my steering wheel is cracked and sun baked basically and im looking to restore it. Anybody ever undertaken a similar job with success? I bought some epoxy putty to fill the cracks with but havent done anything yet.
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:31 AM

There's a dash pad E-bay now for $150 + Shipping.I have had them repaired by (so called "Professionals") but they never turn out undetectable, and they will crack again! The one for sale is Blue but you can dye it with Marhyde. Different story on the steering wheel,I would probably remove it ,bevel the crack on the edges ,Bondo the cracks ( may have to fill more than once),sand it all down and repaint it with any paint that works on plastics. Be sure to put a couple of coats of clear on steering wheel after it's painted. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; June 20th, 2015 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Add info
Old June 20th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

There are vendors who will completely remold and recover your dash pad. They strip it down to the metal core and remold the foam then vacuum mold the vinyl. This process is basically the same as what was done when the pad was manufactured and it looks and behaves like brand new. It is a very labor-intensive process. Don't expect much change back from your thousand dollar bill. Anything less will look half-@$$ed, which is why these vendors are so expensive. Your money, your choice.