Got my seats back.

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2015, 06:47 PM

Got my seats back.

Just got my seats back from the upholstry shop, guys not to happy with me. I supplied seat covers and front seat foam. Told me to never bring him any more kit seat covers, told me they were junk. To small, said they have been getting smaller over the years, took more steam than usual. Said it would have cost just as much for him to build the covers and look a lot better. Showed me some 68 Camaro seats he had just finished, looked real good. So in closing this public service announcement never buy seat covers, just drop them off then pick them up done.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Randy C.

I believe you get both pros and cons on the issue of upholstery. My dad got the same thing you did from an upholsterer regarding a convertible top for his Model A, but then my dad had kept that top kit for some 25 years before he had it installed and it appeared as if the material had shrunk.

I had the bucket seats on my '69 4-4-2 reupholstered with a kit package in the early '90s and the upholsterer said they went on great. I also had a convertible top kit installed by an upholsterer in 2007 and he said he liked the kit and it went on nicely. As well, I had the bucket seats in my '71 Corvette reupholstered with a kit package about 5 years ago and that upholsterer also told me it fit like a glove.

It might depend on the kit supplier as well. I don't know for sure but I do know that, for me, kits have worked well with upholsterers.

Randy C.
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I bought my seat covers and rebuild kits last year and did the work myself. Maybe it was beginner's luck but my seat covers fit perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
More Upholstery 001.jpg (766.8 KB, 37 views)
More Upholstery 007.jpg (769.6 KB, 34 views)
More Upholstery 005.jpg (783.7 KB, 28 views)
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by biggus
I supplied seat covers and front seat foam. Told me to never bring him any more kit seat covers, told me they were junk.
What seat cover manufacturer was it?
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:08 AM

I bought a kit from Legendary and also the "Original Reproduction" foam. The trim shop warned me that the lower priced ($50 less) "Reproduction" foam was more generic and often causes fit problems. Mine came out perfect. Some kits are better than others. I don't know the ones to avoid, but I do know that Legendary is considered very good.
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by biggus
Just got my seats back from the upholstry shop, guys not to happy with me. I supplied seat covers and front seat foam. Told me to never bring him any more kit seat covers, told me they were junk. To small, said they have been getting smaller over the years, took more steam than usual. Said it would have cost just as much for him to build the covers and look a lot better. Showed me some 68 Camaro seats he had just finished, looked real good. So in closing this public service announcement never buy seat covers, just drop them off then pick them up done.
Thanks for the advise. I'll be sending my car into the shop for upholstry work.
It's better to learn from others than to make the same mistakes.

Again
Thank you.
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:25 PM

Got my kit from OPGI. The upolstry guy told me they have been getting worse he said mine was the worse he's seen. The rear seat is fine as are the bottom of the front seats, it's the backs that are bad. Anyway he said he advises people from buying kits and as of last night he said he won't do anymore kits.