68 "B" Pillar trim... Home made

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2015, 02:35 PM

68 "B" Pillar trim... Home made

Dean Franco suggested I post this...

After looking for months for decent B pillar trim for my post coupe, I gave up and decided to try to make something that was at least passable. This is the result. These were made by using chip board to make a pattern. The pattern was made from 2 pieces... one of the leading edge and then one of the back edge. After both were sufficiently formed, i overlayed the 2 pieces to get a firm, tight fit shaped the same as the pillar itself. The Pattern was then transferred to a thin piece of aluminum stock which was the bent to form using a bench mounted metal brake. I bought some vinyl from JoAnne's fabric and upholstered them. Sorry for the dark pics but the black interior in a garage proved hard to deal with.

I'm happy with the outcome, and the best part is these ain't gonna crack.

Oh, and I also gave up on the lower air deflector... I'll post pics of it when all parts are complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
b pillar trim.jpg (17.4 KB, 78 views)
FullSizeRender (14).jpg (981.2 KB, 75 views)
pic c.jpg (33.5 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by 1968_Post; June 7th, 2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: ...
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:55 PM

Looks nice, I recently found a post car in a junkyard. One of the B pillar trim pieces was still there but cracked. Better than nothing but I think your solution would fool all but the diehards.
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Looks nice, I recently found a post car in a junkyard. One of the B pillar trim pieces was still there but cracked. Better than nothing but I think your solution would fool all but the diehards.
Thanks Scott... they actually look better in person, but can't get a good pic due to the lighting. They took about six hours to make and another hour or so to upholster.
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Very nice!
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:03 PM

Dang that is called "car crafting"

Those post covers look awesome. 68 and 69 are probably the same, corect? My 70 F85 could use new pillar covers. Made me think of the possibility of doing one on a 3D printer?
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:06 PM

Wow, those look pretty darned good. I feel the pain trying to find B pillars, I have been looking for my '71 they are simply not being made by anyone. What was the total cost? You might make another set and throw a Youtube video out there or better, make em and sell em! I might buy a set...
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
Dean Franco suggested I post this...

After looking for months for decent B pillar trim for my post coupe, I gave up and decided to try to make something that was at least passable. This is the result. These were made by using chip board to make a pattern. The pattern was made from 2 pieces... one of the leading edge and then one of the back edge. After both were sufficiently formed, i overlayed the 2 pieces to get a firm, tight fit shaped the same as the pillar itself. The Pattern was then transferred to a thin piece of aluminum stock which was the bent to form using a bench mounted metal brake. I bought some vinyl from JoAnne's fabric and upholstered them. Sorry for the dark pics but the black interior in a garage proved hard to deal with.

I'm happy with the outcome, and the best part is these ain't gonna crack.

Oh, and I also gave up on the lower air deflector... I'll post pics of it when all parts are complete.

Good stuff Jeff !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tom442
Those post covers look awesome. 68 and 69 are probably the same, corect? My 70 F85 could use new pillar covers. Made me think of the possibility of doing one on a 3D printer?
Someone needs to get access to a CNC and start making them....
Old June 8th, 2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Wow, those look pretty darned good. I feel the pain trying to find B pillars, I have been looking for my '71 they are simply not being made by anyone. What was the total cost? You might make another set and throw a Youtube video out there or better, make em and sell em! I might buy a set...
It's hard to say what the cost was... I made these from leftover pieces of aluminum sheet and vinyl that I'd purchased for a previous project, and I have a 40 lb box of chipboard I've used for years making patterns for various projects. If I would guess, I'd say $20-$25. Time involved is the largest expense.
Once I get this car completed, I may make another set. If so, I'll let you know.
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
It's hard to say what the cost was... I made these from leftover pieces of aluminum sheet and vinyl that I'd purchased for a previous project, and I have a 40 lb box of chipboard I've used for years making patterns for various projects. If I would guess, I'd say $20-$25. Time involved is the largest expense.
Once I get this car completed, I may make another set. If so, I'll let you know.
It might be a good business venture to get into. There is a demand in the market if you can get a good process down and some investors...just a thought...