Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2015, 07:53 PM

Convertible top

My convertible top on 71 cutlass is acting crazy. I got it back this weekend from a great upholstery shop in north Louisiana I sure some of you in the area have heard of Winn and Trim 70 years in business. Anyway got the car home top works fine goes up and down next day I hit the switch the top goes up but not down . I put it on the battery charger thinking battery was down. Still I hit the switch top goes up but will not go down brand new motor cylinders line and motor and new switch. I talked to owner he is surely going to stand behind his work but I'm just puzzled
Old April 28th, 2015, 03:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Winn Trim is in West Monroe. They put a top on my 60 Chevy in 1965. I went to high school with Alex Winn.
Old April 28th, 2015, 07:41 AM

when you press the down side of the switch does the motor run and the top not move or does the motor not run at all. That will help determine if it is electrical or hydraulic. Sounds like a lose wire on the motor or the switch. I've never had my motor run one direction and not the other. Either has been low fluid or bad connections.
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:52 AM

convertible top

When I hit the switch on the top side it goes up fine motor sounds good and strong.But when I hit the it on the down side I don't get any noise from the motor or anything I was thinking the car battery was low but after putting it on the charger still no motor on when I hit the switch on the down side.
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by antweave
When I hit the switch on the top side it goes up fine motor sounds good and strong.But when I hit the it on the down side I don't get any noise from the motor or anything I was thinking the car battery was low but after putting it on the charger still no motor on when I hit the switch on the down side.
I have a 70 convertible and it happened to me a few years ago. Sounds like your relay. Mine is located on the firewall around the power booster. I dont have the rubber boot that covers the relay. Its a small silver box with 2 wires.