Headliner - do I HAVE to take the glass out?

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Headliner - do I HAVE to take the glass out?

My headliner has pulled away from its bows in a couple of spots...a couple of real good spots. It actually looks salvageable in that there are no tears, just came unsewn but there's no way to pull the seams together, not even close, for resewing. Do the windshield and rear glass really have to come out for this repair?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:18 PM

No glass needs to come out.
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:27 PM

No Mac, it's just easier on an install without the windows in. If you took your car to the upholstery shop to have a HL installed, they wouldn't remove the windows.
IIRC, you mentioned a few days ago that you were wanting to change the color of your interior....MAW go ahead and put that black one in you been lusting over.......
but seriously, if the stitching has deteriorated enough to break open at the seams, my guess would be that all of the seams are probably getting weak. Time for a new one so you don't have to mess with it again in a couple of years.

Leg-en-dary, Leg-en-dary, Leg-en-dary..............
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:51 PM

Well then, it's a good thing I have a student that works at an upholstery shop. Trouble is, she's already getting an A in my class.
I'll definitely go with black; I'm really feeling the black interior.
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I agree with RandyS, and the fabric will have deteriorated too.

Roger.
Old March 30th, 2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger

Roger.
Understood. Legendary then?
Old March 30th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Understood. Legendary then?
Now where did you come up with that name.........?
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:18 AM
Ben

some tips if you are going to do it yourself:

1. go to a local office supply store and buy a couple boxes of these 1" binder clips

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...11488596-VQ21-

You can use them to stretch out the headliner before you glue it, and allow you to glue it in small sections as you go. Buy enough to go all the way around.

2. Heat.... When you have the old headliner out, and area ready to start- toss the new headliner in your clothes dryer on high for 5-6 mins (no longer) this will most of the factory folds/wrinkles out of it, and get it to be soft & stretchy.

While doing the work, consider leaving your side windows UP, and either put a small electric space heater in the car with you (be careful of course!), or a couple of those halogen work lights that get super hot (also be careful!).
This will keep the headliner stretchy & tight while you are working on it.

3. Don't buy spray glue in a rattle can like the 3m super 77 or similar, it won't work for headliners. Instead get the 3m super weatherstrip adhesive in the tube- works much better.

There is a great write up on team chevelle on how to install a headliner yourself- these steps will be the same for your olds. take a look:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161372

Last edited by RAMBOW; March 31st, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Now where did you come up with that name.........?
Hey man, I learn from the best

Originally Posted by RAMBOW

1. go to a local office supply store and buy a couple boxes of these 1" binder clips

You can use them to stretch out the headliner before you glue it, and allow you to glue it in small sections as you go. Buy enough to go all the way around.

2. Heat.... When you have the old headliner out, and area ready to start- toss the new headliner in your clothes dryer on high for 5-6 mins (no longer) this will most of the factory folds/wrinkles out of it, and get it to be soft & stretchy.

While doing the work, consider leaving your side windows UP, and either put a small electric space heater in the car with you (be careful of course!), or a couple of those halogen work lights that get super hot (also be careful!).

3. Don't buy spray glue in a rattle can like the 3m super 77 or similar, it won't work for headliners. Instead get the 3m super weatherstrip adhesive in the tube- works much better.

There is a great write up on team chevelle on how to install a headliner yourself- these steps will be the same for your olds. take a look:

Thanks Rambow, I appreciate the write-up. I haven't decided if I want to deal with this myself, especially taking out the glass. My student that works for an upholstery shop (that deals with a lot of classic cars) said they wouldn't have to take the glass out. $300 for the install, $150 for the liner. Seems reasonable.

I did run across the Chevelle write up during my research. Good little article.
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:01 PM

I did the same thing 2 years ago but i didnt use heat. I just pull really hard. My problem was the rear corners (wishing the rear windows should be taken out). It gave me a good fight but i got it. The 3M weatherstrip glue works great.
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:53 PM
Ben

Hey man, I learn from the best

Thanks Rambow, I appreciate the write-up. I haven't decided if I want to deal with this myself, especially taking out the glass. My student that works for an upholstery shop (that deals with a lot of classic cars) said they wouldn't have to take the glass out. $300 for the install, $150 for the liner. Seems reasonable.

I did run across the Chevelle write up during my research. Good little article.
Don't be afraid to try it yourself. Its really not rocket science. Follow the write up, use heat & you'll be fine & save yourself $300.

The headliner itself should cost you about $75 from any of the vendors btw.
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger

Roger.
My thread had done the same thing. Pulled headliner down, went to shop and had him resew it.

Its been holding up fine for 5 years with no signs of fabric deterioration.

Dont be so hasty to buy new.
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:22 PM

Don't be afraid to try it yourself. Its really not rocket science. Follow the write up, use heat & you'll be fine & save yourself $300.

The headliner itself should cost you about $75 from any of the vendors btw.
Hmm, not finding anything for $75 ish. Year One, OPGI, Legendary, are considerably more. Are we talking eBay? I did find this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headliner-Bl...f4c4a3&vxp=mtr
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM

Headliner from Legendary runs $91 and the sail panels are $52, so $150 for quality parts looks good with shipping.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:22 PM

Hmm, not finding anything for $75 ish. Year One, OPGI, Legendary, are considerably more. Are we talking eBay? I did find this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headliner-Bl...f4c4a3&vxp=mtr
I bought the same thing and fits like a glove. If you have your old headliner off, here a good time to check the bow clips and the insulation. Dont forget to know which hole the bows goes in. Mark it with a sharpie.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Headliner from Legendary runs $91 and the sail panels are $52, so $150 for quality parts looks good with shipping.
The sail panels, the area with the courtesy lights?

Originally Posted by ELY442
I bought the same thing and fits like a glove. If you have your old headliner off, here a good time to check the bow clips and the insulation. Dont forget to know which hole the bows goes in. Mark it with a sharpie.
The current headliner is still in, I haven't had a chance to start yet. Is it glued in place like the way the replacement will be?
It may be a while before I can start. The next few weeks at work are going to be h*ll.
Thanks for the tips, fellas.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:16 PM

The sail panels, the area with the courtesy lights?
Yes, you buy those separately

The current headliner is still in, I haven't had a chance to start yet. Is it glued in place like the way the replacement will be?
It may be a while before I can start. The next few weeks at work are going to be h*ll.
Thanks for the tips, fellas.
Yes, it will be glued in. May come right off, or not............
Old April 4th, 2015, 03:30 PM

Thanks Randy. I guess I'll find out.
Old April 4th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Sounds cozy. Even if it's a hot day?