74 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2015, 04:32 AM

74 Cutlass Supreme

Hello, so as far as interior goes in my car, there are a lot of issues that need to be adressed.

First off, my drivers side manual window has broken, making the window lean into the car. Upon inspection, there was some large(2" maybe) washer looking things in the bottom of tbe door. It looked like they were on a stud that held the bottom of the window in place. I never found any nuts that would go on the stud so I grabbed a new ones and tried every combination of the two washers and the window I could think of to no avail. The window either ends up leaned in too far, or out too far. Does anybody have any clue what Im talking about?

Also, as far as the rest of the interior goes, my clock doesnt work, do they run off the car battery or do they have an aux source?

Lastly, does anybody know of interior kits or am I taking it down to the upholstery shop?

Thanks, Riley
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:46 AM

Legendary sells seat covers, etc. I've never checked your particular year but I'm getting fronts for my 71.

I can't speak to your window issue, sorry, but the chassis service manual or assembly manual should show you what you need to know.

As for the clock, if it's like my '71, it has an actual clock movement with an escapement; just like a watch that winds. It's actually pretty cool; as the clock winds down it closes an electrical contact that, when closed, winds the clock. Once wound, the contact opens and it runs on spring power until it runs down and repeats the process. This article may help you:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/restora..._old_car_clock

I've just finished repairing/restoring mine but think I'm going to replace it with a tach, lol. I'll probably put it on eBay but I don't think it will fit your '74.
Welcome to the site
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Administrator

I believe Legendary only goes to 72. Your year model is limited to companies that I'm not sure of, OPGI stocks some seat covers. I would find a local upholstery shop to duplicate your seat covers, bet it would run about the same price.
Old March 28th, 2015, 06:30 AM

Yup, you're right, Eric. Legendary is for 64-72.
Old March 28th, 2015, 07:29 AM

I believe the window roller you're describing is the one at the bottom that is supposed to have a pivoting plastic roller/knucle kind of thing at the end that rides in a track. They often are broken off after this many years. No repros that I know of that are correct for these years. I had one laying around...but, will have to do a little searching if interested.

As for interior, you have undoubtedly discovered that there isn't much available. If you're not dead-set on having "correct" seat and door panel patterns, keep in mind these parts are shared with other '73-'77 GM "A" bodies; i.e. Montes, Chevelles/Malibus, Regals, etc. Depending on your opinion of e-Bay, it may be your best friend in tracking down parts. The other challenge is finding interior plastic pcs if yours are dry-rotted. I have access to dozens of these cars being parted, so let me know if you need some help.

As for the clock, definitely try doing a self-repair. I've found you have a 50/50 chance of getting them running again just by opening them up and lubricating the works.
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:02 PM

I've repaired several clock movements and I like to use electronics cleaner, basically a spray alcohol, and leaves no residue. Then use a good clock oil or, in a pinch, 3-in-one.

My problem right now is that I can't find the spring adjuster and mine's running a bit fast. Maybe it's one of the automatic adjusters and I have to keep turning the hands back to the correct time until it's accurate. It gains about 15 minutes a day.
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Then you'll never be late when you get there.
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Thank you all for the help, and crimson I may have to get you to look into that part. The snow hasnt yet melted here, so once I take the car out Ill get some pictures and be sure. Thanks, Riley
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:23 PM

Welcome to this site it is a great place with a great bunch of people with some pretty Oldsmobiles..On to your questions. You have the middle child cutlass that gets over looked as far as the aftermarket industry for interior and exterior components and panels. So used parts are readily available on the Webb, don't be afraid to over bid or you may lose it. I know first hand. I fabricated my seats only cause I did not want to pay for the professionally stitched prices. I have not seen any of the catalogs introduce seat covers as of yet. Your door glass does sound like as spoken in the thread of a broken roller, usually these doors are stressed and the metal will crack on top of the door just under the door panel itself resulting in improper adjustments. It is easy to remove both the top and bottom door panels then slowly roll the door glass down where you can snap some photos inside the door and post them here. Be Careful with the glass they don't make new ones anymore either.. Nice to read other folks are enjoying these body styles!
Sean