Where to get an interior kit?

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2015, 05:44 PM

Where to get an interior kit?

I've been looking for a interior kit for a 1955 Holiday Rocket 88 4 door Sedan. I was wondering if there is a good online site to buy interior kits from. I am mainly looking for a carpet kit at this time. Thanks
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think Fusick may have carpet but this is about all you are going to find for your Olds. There is just not enough demand for anybody to reproduce them and the fact that you car is a 4 door make it even more unlikely.
Old January 5th, 2015, 06:26 AM

I doubt that there is a kit available,but SMS fabrics and also Original Interiors both have a good selection of cloth and vinyls for this model. Larry
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I did my entire 56 Super 88 interior last winter. and I spent months researching this project. Here are my notes on carpet. Your mileage may vary:

1. Carpet- I looked at Stock Interiors, Automotive Interiors, A1 Auto, Pro-Fit, Auto-Trim, Auto-Truck Trim Supply, Auto Interiors Direct, Auto-Interior.com, Summit, Aardvark Motors and probably a few more. I found that most were made by ACC (Auto Custom Carpets).

I have more details on my experiences with headliners, windlace, package trays, kick panels, seat covers and rebuild kits for mid 50's if anyone is interested.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
More Upholstery 003.jpg (71.6 KB, 45 views)
Upholstery 003.jpg (75.2 KB, 40 views)
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:41 PM

A number of us 50's owners are interested. Please post as much information as you can it will be much appreciated by all of us

Thanks in advance
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Frank Ignachuck

OK. Here are my headliner notes.

Headliners in the mid 50's came in all flavors. My 56 Super 88 is cloth with bows and loops. I got prices from Automotive Interiors, Newstalgia, SMS, Kanter, Goliners, Stock Interiors , Originalauto.com and Restoration Specialties. I was looking for a napped cotton grey headliner and found that most of companies used the same part number (45-1). Turned out they are all made by Acme Auto Headlining.

You can find instructions on how to install a headliner everywhere including some excellent details right here in CO. I read and made copies of them all and learned something from every one of them.

My headliner involved a combination of staples and razor sharp retainer tack strips. Make sure you straighten out the teeth on the strips. You'll use them all. I was very thankful that I remembered to put the screws back in when I took off the coat hooks, mirror, trim pieces, sun visors, etc. I never would have found the holes. It was also much easier with the seats out. I bought some tools at Harbor Freight but didn't use them much. I made a push stick out of a plastic putty knife by rounding off the sharp edges. The windlace was much harder to install than the headliner. About fours per door using contact cement, staples and spray adhesive. And you have to do the windlace first.

Hope this helps. Frank
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:59 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Here are a couple of pictures of my headliner just after I got done. The wrinkles tightened up with the summer heat and humidity.

Frank
Attached Images
Upholstery 002.jpg (49.7 KB, 39 views)
Upholstery 005.jpg (40.1 KB, 21 views)
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Windlace is available from a number of sources. It's wicked expensive (insert New England accent here ). About $8.00 to 12.00 per yard. I was told to get 14 yards for a 4 door post sedan, and I had 2 one foot pieces when I was done which is too close for comfort. I recommend 16 yards. Remember, it's one continuous piece for each door.

I mentioned that the windlace was the hardest part of the project, and that may have been because of the windlace itself. The windlace I ordered was 1/2" sponge core, with a three layer "flange" (see attachment). The two cloth layers had a cardboard layer in the middle. At times I had to cut one or two layers of the flange out to fit it in into channels. On the saw tooth strips above the doors, I used contact cement and just the cardboard layer. On the tack strips, I used the cloth layer and staples. Every foot was an adventure, and I had to dry fit each part to determine what method to use.

I'm attaching pictures of two tools that were invaluable to me. One is a modified 3" v-notch plastic spreader (Allway brand- Ace Hardware $1.79) I sanded it down and rounded the corners so were no sharp edges, and I used it to tuck in windlace and headliner. The other is a pair of athletic trainer scissors that I used to trim the headliner and windlace. Better than any scissors or blades.

Frank
Attached Images
Interior Tools 002.jpg (57.8 KB, 20 views)
Interior Tools 001.jpg (55.0 KB, 20 views)
Interior Tools 003.jpg (61.8 KB, 23 views)
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:58 PM

Thank you guys so much! I'm just starting out. I am turning 15 on the 23rd. My dad and I are going to restore it together as soon as his project is rolled out of the shop (probably in the next few weeks). I'm going to make it my daily driver, so it wont be a full restoration, but defiantly a full interior upgrade. I will be looking for a lot of advice of where to buy parts in the next month. Thanks again!
-Zack
Attached Images
IMG_1977.jpg (90.6 KB, 35 views)
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:38 PM

Hey Zack,looks like a pretty solid car to start on.welcoome to CO.Glad to have some young people showing interest in the mid '50s Olds.Theres a site here called "Owners Unite" of '54-'56 owners you need to look through and add yourself to the list.Most of the'50s guys visit the "Vintage Olds" section very often, and would be glad to help with your questions. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; January 9th, 2015 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Correction
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:41 PM

I did not see anybody mention Legendary Interiors.

www.legendaryautointeriors.com

They did a great job for me full interior, less carpet
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Administrator

You might also check into doing a custom interior that resembles stock at a reputable interior shop nearby. Do a thread on your project to inspire other father and son endeavors.
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 69455
I did not see anybody mention Legendary Interiors.
That is because, amazingly, this poster does NOT have a Cutlass/442