Removing rear seat from 54 - what's the trick?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:30 AM

Removing rear seat from 54 - what's the trick?

Starting the interior redo on my 54 Super 88. What is the trick to pulling the rear seat? I've looked, but only briefly, and it doesn't *appear* that it will shift back at all... I figured the bottom would shift back a little then lift up - but maybe not..
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:52 AM
Bfg

Rear seat

I think there are some bolts that need to be removed from the trunk area?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:36 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

The lower portion needs to be lifted up from the front - there are two squarish cups in the floorboard that the seat frame sits in - if there is a lot of rust these could be frozen up. There are no bolts.

Once the lower portion is removed you'll see brackets in the lower corners of the upper half that set into the rear wheel arch on the inside - there are two tabs that are part of the floors that are bent over the brackets to secure them in place - again, if there is a lot of rust these might be gone. Once you bend those tabs loose the upper portion should slide upwards and out - it sort of just 'hangs' on the lip of the rear package shelf.

Hope this helps.
Old October 24th, 2015, 04:25 PM

BEND the tabs? Really?

All righty, then! Here goes!
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:00 PM

On my '55 you push the lower cushion back(by applying pressure to the bottom area nearest to the carpet) . As it moves back pull upward.It should come out. Larry
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Larry, that is how the one in my 54 convertible comes out. Seems I had to do both sides separately.
Old October 25th, 2015, 07:22 AM

(Rear) seat back came out without event, once I figured out that it DROPS after the tabs are bent down.

The metal strip that trims between the package tray and the top of the seat back looked awful. I didn't even know what was on it until the lower parts were exposed. It was apparently wrapped in red upholstery cloth at one time. It had turned black and decomposed.

New package tray in place. Cleaning up the metal trim strip: sand, acid etch the rust (glue?) off, rinse, repeat, prime, paint (leave it un-upholstered), vacuum, and put everything back. It'll look better than it did even when I was a boy going places in the back seat behind my Dad.

Thanks for the "bend" clue, Gordon.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20151024_183129.jpg (1.49 MB, 8 views)

Last edited by ElmoIsBold; October 25th, 2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add photo
Old April 9th, 2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ElmoIsBold
(Rear) seat back came out without event, once I figured out that it DROPS after the tabs are bent down.

The metal strip that trims between the package tray and the top of the seat back looked awful. I didn't even know what was on it until the lower parts were exposed. It was apparently wrapped in red upholstery cloth at one time. It had turned black and decomposed.

New package tray in place. Cleaning up the metal trim strip: sand, acid etch the rust (glue?) off, rinse, repeat, prime, paint (leave it un-upholstered), vacuum, and put everything back. It'll look better than it did even when I was a boy going places in the back seat behind my Dad.

Thanks for the "bend" clue, Gordon.

Keith
Where did you find your package tray?
Old April 10th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Fusick sells it.