door panels

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2014, 08:18 PM

door panels

Got some door panels from OPG and was kinda surprised they weren't a Bolt on deal. I assume I take the curved top of the panel off my old ones. How is this piece held on and how do I attach it to the new one. Come on guys, anybody have any advice? Chime in. Thanks...
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Randy C.

The year of your car, and pics, would help. I seem to recall that, when I got mine ('68 model), that they could either be ordered with or without the finish details at the top of the door panel. Might be different for other years, though.

Randy C.
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:25 PM

It sounds like the year of you car is 68 or 69 w the metal uppers
yes some companies require you send your old ones in
In any event they are glued on
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM

66 and 67 also have the metal uppers and are not available as complete bolt on door panels. You use the old upper metal piece and clean it or best to have it blasted and then por15 then glue it with spray weatherstrip adhesive it takes time and patients to get it right. You also have to reuse the old metal trim and emblem. there is also in your old panels some metal around the bottom edge that should be reused and inserted.
Old November 24th, 2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
66 and 67 also have the metal uppers and are not available as complete bolt on door panels. You use the old upper metal piece and clean it or best to have it blasted and then por15 then glue it with spray weatherstrip adhesive it takes time and patients to get it right. You also have to reuse the old metal trim and emblem. there is also in your old panels some metal around the bottom edge that should be reused and inserted.
I redid mine. It'd be so nice if you could buy the panels with all the edge trim attached, "it takes time and patience". A lot of time and a whole lot of patience. I think I spent 6-8 hours on mine as I wanted it done right.
Be careful removing the old panel, care exercised here will bear fruit when putting the new on.
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:27 AM

I got my '72 rear panels unassembled, which means you reuse the upper metal part of the panel, which sounds like what you are dealing with. The new panels had that really thick cardboard material like the originals, which were "pressed" onto the metal part by star like prongs on the metal piece. I could not get the new panels attached this way, so I used pop-rivets instead. Then I had to glue the floppy upholstery to the curved part of the metal rail. That was the hardest part. I might have posted some pix of this a while back. I'll see if I can find them and repost here. Chumley
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:43 AM

I found the pictures. I don't know how to transfer them directly to this thread, so try this. Go to page 15 at the bottom of the main interior/upholstery page. Look for my post of Mar.31, 2012 entitled, "The saga continues..." A couple of pix of my riveting job. Chumley

Last edited by Chumley; December 26th, 2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: missing word
Old January 1st, 2015, 09:27 AM

Just for future reference Legendary will sell you assembled or unassembled panels. For 68 the door metal top edge is reproduced and Legendary uses new ones for the assembled panels. The rear convertible metal panel top is not reproduced but Legendary will re-use yours if you send them to them. I assume they will do this for other years as well