seat belt removal

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2014, 11:18 AM

seat belt removal

hey I have the back seat out of my 72 and I would like to take the seatbelts out in order to clean them real good, they are currently very stiff and basically unusable. Do the bolts just unscrew from the top or is there is a nut under car that has to be held while loosening? Are there any tips to removal and replacing of the bolts?
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by denf221
hey I have the back seat out of my 72 and I would like to take the seatbelts out in order to clean them real good, they are currently very stiff and basically unusable. Do the bolts just unscrew from the top or is there is a nut under car that has to be held while loosening? Are there any tips to removal and replacing of the bolts?
The nuts are welded to the underside of the floor pan from the factory. The bolts are very stiff to unscrew by intent, so the belts stay anchored to the floor and not come loose. Put a socket on the bolt head and crank away.
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RandyS
The nuts are welded to the underside of the floor pan from the factory. The bolts are very stiff to unscrew by intent, so the belts stay anchored to the floor and not come loose. Put a socket on the bolt head and crank away.
I'll also add that the bolts have thread locking compound on them, which is why they are so difficult to get out. Also the heads are pretty short, so use a six-point socket and press down on it to avoid having it cam off the bolt.
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:27 PM

My belts were pretty gross after having 20 years of mice and rats living on them. I used spray 9, let it soak in (not that long on the stickers/lables) and a pressure washer to clean my belts after removed.

They look like new now.
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Seat Belt Removal

I use an impact wrench and rock the bolt back and forth to get them loosened.

BTW...if you think it's hard to remove seat belt bolts with hex heads on them, try removing stubborn Torx head bolts on '73 & up models! Couple of slips with the Torx bit and it's game over as you've just stripped out the head.