1969 442 Sports Coupe Cowl Tag

Old October 29th, 2014, 08:11 PM

1969 442 Sports Coupe Cowl Tag

I'd like to restore this car back to factory specs as closely as possible. My interior is all black but under the black on the head rest and dash I can see a gold color.

This is what I know so far:
1969 442 Sports Coupe (Built in Freemont)
Palomino Gold with Parchment Vinyl Top
Chrome Drip Rail Moldings and Chrome Moldings on the center post and around the side windows (Sports Coupe)
I don't believe it had factory ram air

Any help would be great.....

PicsArt_1414637499363_zpsb4a8d3dc.jpg

442vin_zps9633f382.jpg

PicsArt_1414635282856_zps97766aa5.jpg

442_zps82f8258f.jpg
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:58 PM

neat car and rare being a post car.
yes 934 is gold bucket interior so sounds like someone painted the interior and or changed parts of it to black.

Built second week in May
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:04 PM

also B-80 is the drip rail moldings
B-90 is the side window frame moldings

Also E is Parchment vinyl top as you mentioned
344 olds/442
77 sports coupe

63 - Palomino Gold

and correct E is for Parchment vinyl top
good luck w car Dean
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:31 PM

Thanks..I just got my new BLACK door panels in from OPG , Would they look right if I paint them or can I find gold interior parts somewhere? I'm guessing the dash pad can be painted...was the carpet gold like the buckets? The interior is in awesome shape. Gold headliner too?

At some point the engine was painted blue, am I right that everything but the brackets , accessories and intake were a bronze type color? Looks like I'll be taking the whole car apart... sweet. Hope I find that build sheet
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:33 PM

I think they only made 25 442 sport coupes in 69...ac, power brakes,AUTOMATIC on the floor....does that sound right? I just bought the car a few days ago at an estate sale
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Carsick
Thanks..I just got my new BLACK door panels in from OPG , Would they look right if I paint them or can I find gold interior parts somewhere? I'm guessing the dash pad can be painted...was the carpet gold like the buckets? The interior is in awesome shape. Gold headliner too?

At some point the engine was painted blue, am I right that everything but the brackets , accessories and intake were a bronze type color? Looks like I'll be taking the whole car apart... sweet. Hope I find that build sheet

you can paint them Parts Place sells 69 Mustard Gold return black panels (if you can) and buy gold ones from Legendary.
Yes dash pad can be painted same thing
yes gold carpet as well as gold headliner , package tray and wind lace.

If you already bought black panels and you like the black you could leave it but obviously up to you.

My 31 has gold interior if you want pics let me know
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:53 PM

I think they only made 25 442 sport coupes in 69...ac, power brakes,AUTOMATIC on the floor....does that sound right? I just bought the car a few days ago at an estate sale

I know they are rare unfortunately don't have exact number on post cars w a/c
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:58 PM

yes engine(intake ,oil fill tube, covers, water pump and balancer) should be bronze, brackets are black including alternator and a/c brackets.
There are plenty of pics here to reference or online.

if you find anything it will be under back seat, Freemont cars that I have parted out always found them there and quite detailed as well unlike Lansing
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:02 PM

The BF 00408 would indicate that it is the 408th '69 442 Sport Coupe (34477) body built at the Fremont plant.

Total '69 442 Sport Coupe production was 2,984
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:03 PM

I can probably return them. I like the black but my intention is getting the most re sale. If it's as rare as I think I should probably try to stay factory I'm thinking....the black looks good. If I left it black I'd probably do the dash in palomino gold ....idk. I'll try to find legendary online...thanks again

Also the gauge on the far right where the clock would go is blank....is that normal? The Og owner just didn't opt for a clock and since it's auto there's no need for a tach?
Old October 30th, 2014, 05:24 AM

Fremont cars are highly likely to have build sheet on top of gas tank, and not uncommon for there to be several others found in a Fremont car.
*In back seat springs, top or bottom
*under package tray
*in drivers seat back
*in door
*in "A" pillar
*in front fender
Steve
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:19 AM

I can probably return them. I like the black but my intention is getting the most re sale. If it's as rare as I think I should probably try to stay factory I'm thinking....the black looks good. If I left it black I'd probably do the dash in palomino gold ....idk. I'll try to find legendary online...thanks again

Also the gauge on the far right where the clock would go is blank....is that normal? The Og owner just didn't opt for a clock and since it's auto there's no need for a tach?

my opine don't have two different interior colors it could turn off potential buyers

yes original buyer did not opt for clock in purchase so when that occurred you got a blank pod

Legendary makes the gold interior as mentioned, just to let you know try to buy from before holidays they will offer a sale then if you choose that route.

If you want to make the most back yes then I would go back to original on everything
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:59 AM

25 W-32s. Your car is not a W-32.
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by Diego
25 W-32s. Your car is not a W-32.

he never said it was , just someone trying to find out a little more info regarding what he has
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Perhaps I could have been more clear, but the W-32 Sports Coupe is a 1-of-25 car, which is likely where he or someone may have gotten that 25 number.
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I think they only made 25 442 sport coupes in 69...ac, power brakes,AUTOMATIC on the floor....does that sound right?
Originally Posted by hurst68olds
........Total '69 442 Sport Coupe production was 2,984

Originally Posted by Diego
Perhaps I could have been more clear, but the W-32 Sports Coupe is a 1-of-25 car, which is likely where he or someone may have gotten that 25 number.
Just trying to bring you guys closer together on this.

Carsick - the Sports Coupe means it's got framing around all the door and rear quarter glass, unlike a hardtop coupe with has no framing there at all. Here's the difference between it and a HT (also referred to as Holiday coupe in a model 3687) The front clip, rear quarter panels, doors and most trim is interchangeable with 68/69 A body Cutlass/442 of similar style. 69 was the first year that Olds went from dash ignition to column lock too. BTW, the way your VIN is stamped is unique. I've only seen it spaced out like that in a handful of examples. It doesn't conform to the factory stamping guide in the Assembly Manual, but that means little. Your car was built close to the end of production in 69. IIRC Freemont shut down around the middle of July for retooling.

EDIT: ALL 69 -72 Post coupes and sedans have wing windows. Only the Hardtop coupes lost those starting in 69.

Sports Coupe

Holiday Coupe

Last edited by Allan R; October 30th, 2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: correction on model years
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:29 AM

The front clip, rear quarter panels, doors and most trim is interchangeable with 68/69 A body Cutlass/442 of similar style

that is not true far as interchangeable the core supports are completely different from each year. The front fender bolt patterns are different from each year to accommodate each year's respective hood hinges. The rear quarters are different hence the different tail lights for each year. The only doors that will work would be from a 68 post not even 68 convertible doors would work.
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:53 AM

68/69 interchangeability

Carsick there is very little from a 68 THAT INTERCHANGES w a 69 post car.
Hoods, trunks ,bumpers, signal and rear lights, hold moldings, trunk moldings, front fender moldings , dash (unless 68 a/c) kick panels, seats (unless optioned head rests), lower dash, rear marker lights and other misc are completely different.

The same front marker lights, manual antenna , glass, fenders can be used if you don't care about the bolt pattern and some items from engine compartment

Dean
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Point taken. On quarters I should have specified 'skins' as I'm fully aware of the difference in tail light and bumpers. And yes, I know there's a different panel for verts and HTs. Forgot about the rad support, I should be more careful to specify fenders instead of clip as they mean completely different things.

The fenders are the same. The GM Parts manual says fenders for 68/69 (Group 8.130) shows (Part numbers 230796 RH and 230797 LH) for both years. Just the hinge is listed as different part number, as it likely has a different plate that bolts to the hood. Since the fenders are the same, it's very unlikely that there would be different mount locations for the bottom of the hood - just the top plate of the hinge where it attaches to the hood liner.

Why won't 68/69 post doors interchange? My interchange manual says they will. Same body style for both years. Similarly 70-72 Post coupe doors will interchange.
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:06 PM

the different mount locations are on the inside of the fenders within the respective years w the obvious hood difference

the 68 doors via winged windows are different far as 68 convert and hardtop doors
the 68 hardtop door would def fit a 69 post just not the convert doors
so yes you are right re non convertible doors.

hope that helps
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nope, still somewhat confused by your comments
Originally Posted by dnmfranco
the different mount locations are on the inside of the fenders within the respective years w the obvious hood difference
Then why would the parts manual have exactly the same fenders listed for both years? I don't buy that there are different mount locations on the fender. I do buy that the hinges have different upper plates for hood attachment though. Even the springs are listed as the same part from 68-72

the 68 doors via winged windows are different far as 68 convert and hardtop doors
That was never any part of my comment. Note I said
similar style
in my note to Carsick

the 68 hardtop door would def fit a 69 post just not the convert doors
huh? A 68 HT door will NOT fit a 69 Post. They're 2 different door styles and body styles. The post coupes have a B pillar whereas HT coupes doesn't, so trying to cross fit a HT door into a Post body would be a nightmare in labor to modify it. Methinks you're a bit mixed up on our discussion. POST doors will fit POST cars. HT doors will fit HT cars of similar body style. How did the verts climb into this conversation? Carsick doesn't have a vert and no vert I've ever seen has a post style door.

Is the issue of vent windows affecting the discussion of what will fit??
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:40 PM

Actually mike Karsten started a thread re the difference in 68 doors w pics.
The difference is in the channels/weatherstripping
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Nope, still somewhat confused by your comments Then why would the parts manual have exactly the same fenders listed for both years? I don't buy that there are different mount locations on the fender. I do buy that the hinges have different upper plates for hood attachment though. Even the springs are listed as the same part from 68-72

That was never any part of my comment. Note I said in my note to Carsick

huh? A 68 HT door will NOT fit a 69 Post. They're 2 different door styles and body styles. The post coupes have a B pillar whereas HT coupes doesn't, so trying to cross fit a HT door into a Post body would be a nightmare in labor to modify it. Methinks you're a bit mixed up on our discussion. POST doors will fit POST cars. HT doors will fit HT cars of similar body style. How did the verts climb into this conversation? Carsick doesn't have a vert and no vert I've ever seen has a post style door.

Is the issue of vent windows affecting the discussion of what will fit??
[IMG]http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/var/resizes/NA/Oldsmobile/1968_Oldsmobile/1968_Oldsmobile_Prestige_Brochure/1968%20Oldsmobile%20Prestige-46-

47.jpg?m=1371849555[/IMG]

Yes 68 post doors (non convert doors) would work for his car
I think I said hard top which I wrote which is wrong

Yes he does not have a convert my point was the 68 convert doors are not the same as 68 hard top doors
So I did cause some confusion there apologies
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Link to the thread?
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Then why would the parts manual have exactly the same fenders listed for both years? I don't buy that there are different mount locations on the fender. I do buy that the hinges have different upper plates for hood attachment though. Even the springs are listed as the same part from 68-72

first pic is a 68 fender
other pic is a 69
clearly different fenders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68.jpg (43.7 KB, 26 views)
69.jpg (34.0 KB, 28 views)
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Link to the thread?

Allan,

I didn't read this all the way through but:

The 68 vent frame windows are different between hardtops and convertibles. The doors themselves interchange.

68 Post doors are probably the same as 69 but I don't know for sure. Dean can probably tell you.

I don't know why the interchange book would show 68-69 fenders as the same. 68 fenders had a two hole pattern. Early 69 fenders had a three hole pattern. At some point in 69 I think they went to the dual pattern fenders (five holes) with only backer nuts in the 69 location. Then replacement fenders had the five hole pattern with backer nuts in all five places.

The hood bolt holes on the upper hinge are not the same from 68-69. 68 used three bolts and 69 two. No two of the holes line up between the two years. You can bolt a 69 hinge to a 69 fender but then a 68 hood will not bolt to the 69 hinge without reaming/elongating/moving holes

You'd have to be a moron to bolt a 69 hood to a 68 hinge so I won't even go there

Last edited by allyolds68; October 30th, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Allan,

I didn't read this all the way through but:

The 68 vent frame windows are different between hardtops and convertibles. The doors themselves interchange.

68 Post doors are probably the same as 69 but I don't know for sure. Dean can probably tell you.

I don't know why the interchange book would show 68-69 fenders as the same. 68 fenders had a two hole pattern. Early 69 fenders had a three hole pattern. At some point in 69 I think they went to the dual pattern fenders (five holes) with only backer nuts in the 69 location. Then replacement fenders had the five hole pattern with backer nuts in all five places.

The hood bolt holes on the upper hinge are not the same from 68-69. 68 used three bolts and 69 two. No two of the holes line up between the two years. You cannot bolt a 69 hinge to a 69 fender and bolt a 68 hood to it without reaming/elongating holes

Mike look at pic far as 69 fender

oh couldn't find your thread far as what you just explained
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:15 PM

Mike look at pic far as 69 fender

oh couldn't find your thread far as what you just explained

This is the difference in the vent windows. Convertible vent frame is on the right

Not sure what you mean about looking at the pic of the 69 fender

Last edited by allyolds68; October 30th, 2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good to know information. The car we were talking about though is a 69 post coupe. Anything you can add about whether the vent windows would be different on them? The 68/69 post body style is virtually identical, so I can't see how the doors wouldn't be. Perhaps they also have some minuscule difference in the vent window trim? IDK either. BTW it's kind of hard to orient your picture of the HT and vert vent window trim, but I can clearly see what appears to be the difference in the rubber (insert??) molding.

68 fenders had a two hole pattern. Early 69 fenders had a three hole pattern. At some point in 69 I think they went to the dual pattern fenders (five holes) with only backer nuts in the 69 location. Then replacement fenders had the five hole pattern with backer nuts in all five places.

The hood bolt holes on the upper hinge are not the same from 68-69. 68 used three bolts and 69 two. No two of the holes line up between the two years.
This is more to the point about the fenders and hinges. I was questioning why the fenders weren't the same since they are exactly the same part numbers listed in the GM Parts Manual. I get the hinge differentiation, and I had thought only the upper part of the hinge was different. What would be really effective is to have a side by side picture of the 68/69 fenders to show the highlight of your comment. The picture Dean posted of the 69 does not allow for that comparison.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:59 PM

I will post 68 and 69 hinges tom as well as side by side pics of a 68 and 69 fender

granted my pics are not side by side w both fenders included but the first pic clearly only shows two holes thus 68. The pic next to it shows 5 holes - 69.

The 68 hinge is longer in width where it bolts to fender when they changed it in 69 they went w a smaller base in terms of width
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:02 PM

here are pics of 68 and 69 hinges that will give clarity to aforementioned regarding their differences.

The 68 hinge is the first pic and the second pic is 69-72 hinge
Attached Images
68 hinge.jpg (38.6 KB, 30 views)
69 hinge.jpg (31.9 KB, 39 views)
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:12 PM

Well there you have it. The '68 hinge spring has ends at right angles to one another, whereas the 69-72 springs' ends are in line with one another.
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Well there you have it. The '68 hinge spring has ends at right angles to one another, whereas the 69-72 springs' ends are in line with one another.

ty and ty
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the very valuable information. My car unfortuatly is not a w32 ( no ram air and I don't think any w32's had a/c). I ordered my new white vinyl top (Im hoping it will look close to the original parchment) Seeing as this car is one of 2,475 422 Sport Coupes made in 69 and not a w32 i dont think im gonna go back to the gold interior. im thinking im going to go with polomino gold (exterior color) on the dash and leave the rest black. It has black stripes on the hood which im not sure if were factory but im thinking of going with white stripes to match the top. I also ordered a new drivers side fender to save me the headache and time of getting it straight. Is it hard to mark out and drill the holes for my peak molding ? Im pretty sure the new fender doen't have the holes pre stamped.

Im also going to be pulling the motor out soon to repaint it and the engine bay. Ive read that Bronze was the color of all the 442 engines (except the 455). Should my intake be bronze as well? what color should my accessory brackets be? I picked up some Grey manifold paint for the exaust manifolds. Im assuming the pulleys are black.

U guys are awsome Thanks
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:04 PM

does your hood have pin stripes and the panels painted black or just the pin stripes outlining the raised panels? The pin stripes were part of the 442 packaging as well as a stripe around the trunk.

yes on the bronze and yes intake gets painted. Brackets and pulleys black
Old March 15th, 2023, 09:38 PM

Can anyone tell me how many '69 post had a.c?

Thanks
Old March 15th, 2023, 09:49 PM

Those numbers don't exist.
Old March 16th, 2023, 07:18 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Can anyone tell me how many '69 post had a.c?

Thanks
The options report could likely tell you how many '69 442s had AC. I don't think it'll break down post coupe versus non-post coupe - at least the 1970 data doesn't break down beyond the 4400 series.
Old March 17th, 2023, 08:53 PM

does this look factory?

Thanks