door panels raising up when door closes

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2014, 09:28 AM

door panels raising up when door closes

Hi, i've installed new door panels from Legendary Auto Interior and they seem to fit okay but when i close the doors they tend to move up a bit so that you can see the inside of the door. they're jamming up against the rear panels and the windlace. I have the doors in the right place, the screws are in teh holes, the clips line up etc. has anyone experienced this problem? car is a '71 two door Cutlass S.
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:49 AM

I'm assuming a Cutlass can't be too much different than a Chevelle or Monte when it comes to A/M door panels, so my input is based on experience with those. If you look at the back of the panel where the clips that push into the door on the front and back, you can see that there is a little adjustment to slide them around. Before I put any screws in, I test to be sure there is no interference, and try to center the panel. Sometimes I have had to elongate the holes where the arm rest bolts on, being careful to ensure it's still covered. The holes at the bottom of your door for trim screws may not necessarily be able to be used again, and have to be slightly drilled to one side or the other. Finally, if fitment continues to be a problem, you may have to contact Legendary.
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:59 AM

My panels from Legendary fit pretty well on my 72 Supreme, but as was mentioned, I had a hard time with the trim screws on the bottom. In fact, I think one of them has popped out. As far as the fitment when the door is closed, like was said, check everything before tightening it all down. And there is a little bit of a break in period so everything seats in well.
Chumley