Inertior door handles. Got to give them a good yank

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Inertior door handles. Got to give them a good yank

to open the door. Before I take apart door and try to fix, Is this an adjustment or am I am going to need to replace something in there. I searched thru thru service and assembly manual and didn't find anything.

72' CS.
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:12 PM

You probably won't know until you get in there and check things out. At any rate , you shouldn't have to yank on the handle.

Chumley
Old September 21st, 2014, 01:04 PM

I had a mechanism go bad and I had to replace it. Just make sure you get one for an Olds, not a Chevelle. I don't think Chevy used the arm rest base, so their splined stud is shorter and won't work with the base plate and arm rest. I bought one from one of the parts companies and had to send it back. Not sure, but might have been Year One.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass Door Mechanism 005.jpg (29.2 KB, 34 views)
Old September 21st, 2014, 03:36 PM

Does it work hard if you move the latch to the closed position with the door open and then work the handle ? Sagging hinges, miss-alined striker can make it hard to release.
Old September 21st, 2014, 05:48 PM

A good dose of real lube like chain oil or white grease spray can do wonders for mechanisms like that also. The main latch over at the aft edge of the door, mainly, but might as well do all other things like window tracks while in there.
Old September 21st, 2014, 07:00 PM

Exterior handle works real easy. Door closes nice and easy.

Inside handle I have to pull up hard and right at the top if I give the door some shoulder it opens. It's seems to be getting progressively worse.
Old September 21st, 2014, 09:32 PM

I would guess it's the splined stud that the door handle goes on. If so I have some.
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by davoaz
Exterior handle works real easy. Door closes nice and easy.

Inside handle I have to pull up hard and right at the top if I give the door some shoulder it opens. It's seems to be getting progressively worse.
My drivers door has the exact same symptoms. Over the years the handle bent from the yanking, then recently it snapped in half when I was trying to open the door. I got a replacement handle but I still need to correct the issue. before the new handle starts to fail.

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I would guess it's the splined stud that the door handle goes on. If so I have some.
How would the splined stud cause this? I was under the impression the issue was the linkage between the handle and the door latch mechanism was stretched or bent due to 40+ years of use, but I haven't been in there yet to check it out - been waiting for the temperature to drop below 100 so I can work on the car without getting heat stroke.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:02 PM

temperature to drop below 100 so I can work on the car without getting heat stroke
I'll trade ya. I'm waiting for temp to drop to -30 so I can park it for the winter and tear into it. BTW, I used to live in phx for 25 years. Maybe you've seen me around, used to have a 71 chevelle vert before the economy took a dump.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:49 PM

Can't say that I ever saw your car, but I worked with a Dave in Texas who had a drop top Chevelle. He worked in AZ before moving to TX then moved back to AZ. You didn't happen to work in the implantable medical electronics industry, did you?
Old September 24th, 2014, 04:51 PM

Close but no Cigar. I moved to CO then back to AZ. Then away when housing market crashed. My chevelle was a drop top too.
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:53 PM

maybe try a different splined mechanism, it may be wearing out and the slop makes it catch on the end of the travel.
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:40 PM

Finally got off my *ss and took apart the door. I've figured out the problem is the clip that holds the rod to the panel is loose, Real loose. If I hold it in place the door easily opens.

I suppose you cannot get a new clip from OPG or similar places. Anybody have a remedy to fix this?

Also, the window was misaligned and I was going to fix it. However now when I roll it up with panel off it aligns perfect. Should I assume the panel is causing the problem and try and tweak it anyways?

Last edited by davoaz; March 31st, 2015 at 07:47 PM.