Plastic Chrome Trim

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Plastic Chrome Trim

My 75 Olds Delta 88 Royale has a lot of faux chrome trim on the instrument panel and dash. It's in pretty sad shape, but not broken. Is there anyway to re-color or re-faux chrome this
Karl
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Plastic chroming is really expensive so it depends on hoe much you want to spend. There are also Duplicolor chrome paint products you can try - I never had much luck with them though. For best results fixing your dash it's best to remove it from the car.

One other product you can try is the Sharpie chrome pen. It's ok, but not as bright as what the car came with.
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:14 AM

Hello, although I haven't had anything plastic rechromed yet, I am interested in doing this too someday. I just found this company that sounds promising but can't say first hand.

http://www.instrument-specialties.co...chrome-bezels/

I see you're fairly new to the site, welcome and please post some pics of your Eighty Eight! I have 2 '76 Ninety Eight Regency Coupes and a '75 88 Convertible is high on my list of must-have cars!
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:44 AM

OK, so I was very curious to see how much this cost and so I called myself. They did a dash for a '74 98 which is all the same parts are your 88 and my 98. Here are the prices:

Main dash cluster: $449
Glove Box: $399
OLDSMOBILE on Glove Box: $150

I didn't write down his price for the glove box door but I'd say it was somewhere in the middle of the glove box itself and the OLDSMOBILE lettering.

WOW that is expensive!!

I would suggest looking for better used ones since NOS are really hard to come by. It all depends on the level you're trying to bring your car up to. Even if you don't find any listed on ebay, contact some sellers that are selling parts from cars like ours and ask if they have these parts. I don't think I've ever seen someone selling them but it's worth asking if they have the parts.

Where are you located by the way?
John
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:45 AM

Chrome beading

Thanks guys. I am in Australia and tips like the ones above make such a difference. Just today I was talking about this at the American Car Club meeting. My trim has shrunk out of the corners and each side of the dash. To replace it is the best option. For the price of the make do stuff, I will give it a go. If I don't like it then the after market replica still isn't all that expensive so ...

Thanks again.
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:52 PM

I used Chrome Tech to do the dash on my 67, Their in Madison Wi. as i recall. They did a nice job, Im happy with it. They can do armrest and other plastic trim as well. They use aluminum vacumizing as used at the factory, its not really chrome but looks like it.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:48 AM

Not having seen the inside of the cars you guys have, I cannot make comment there, however I do have another older Australian car here that has chromed plastic finish in the interior. The chrome is flaking off, so I am going to get some of the wrap they wrap cars with, (you can get chrome or any colour for that matter), and i'll stick that on and see how that goes.

I don't know, maybe you can cut the shapes you need out and stick that on, in my case that's what I can do.