Fatmat in Trunk?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2014, 08:48 PM

Fatmat in Trunk?

Anyone add this or similar product in Trunk? If so it obviously is going to cover/hide the splatter paint scheme. Cover with the trunk mat and call it good?
What about rear quarter inner wells? Trunk Lid?
Mike
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM

Is someone going to be riding back there? LOL, J/K. When I did my car, I put it on the trunk divider along with the floor pans and called it good. I don't think it is necessary in a trunk.
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Granted that, in the final analysis, old cars are really just a way to waste money, putting acoustic mat in your trunk is a really impressive way of completely wasting money.

- Eric
Old July 4th, 2014, 12:48 AM

I did the entire floor pan from trunk to firewall and liked it. In my. 66 98 convertible and in my 66 Starfire. They deadened road noise substantially, I don't think its a waste. But Otis probably a lot lower on the priority scale than good brakes,suspension or good motor.

Also once you get rid of the big noises, you start to hear the little ones that _were_ masked by the big one. The you have t decide how nuts you want to go chasing them too.
Old July 4th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by cfair
I did the entire floor pan from trunk to firewall and liked it. In my. 66 98 convertible and in my 66 Starfire.
They deadened road noise substantially...
Yes, but did you do the interior first, test it out, and then do the trunk?

If not, you don't know whether doing the trunk had any effect at all.

- Eric
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:28 PM

I just put 2 layers of fatmat extreme in the divider and package tray a few years ago and it solved most of the exhaust noise inside. That was after installing it on the floors, doors, etc. Trunk still has spatter paint and the fatmat you have to look for. I installed it from the inside. Not the trunk. After pulling the seat.
Old July 7th, 2014, 11:39 PM

I bought mine from a company in Arizona it was excellent quality and a fair price. I did all 4 floor pans, center section inside doors and inside where back windows are. I did the package tray area to deaden trunk noise and on top of the rear wheels inside the trunk only on the outside part of the hinge area if that makes sense. I put it over top of the splatter paint and I'm very happy with how it came out. I researched before doing the sound deadener and the entire surface does NOT need to be covered for it to be effective. You want to cover the center of large flat areas of metal to deaden the sound. Areas that are very curved do not need to be covered for sound deadening.

Best Todd

Last edited by tcarroll; July 7th, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Granted that, in the final analysis, old cars are really just a way to waste money, putting acoustic mat in your trunk is a really impressive way of completely wasting money.

- Eric
That is complete crap, I did my trunk first and it helped so much I did the rest of my car. If you haven't used the product, you don't know! It is amazing how much shake, rattle and roll this stuff gets rid of.
I'm sorry but sometimes it's statements from people that have never seen or used a product that really gets me on this sight.
I again am sorry but if you haven't used a product you shouldn't post nasty comments about it.
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So you're saying that you out sound deadening material in the trunk (only), and it made the rest of the car quieter?

Did you have the original fiber and sound deadening panels in place behind the rear seat?

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:37 PM

No you need to read the post again. I did sound deadening on all four floor pans in the passenger compartment of the car, inside the doors, the package tray and the rear wheel wells. I did use the stock sound material and cardboard behind the back seat.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by tcarroll
No you need to read the post again. I did sound deadening on all four floor pans in the passenger compartment of the car, inside the doors, the package tray and the rear wheel wells. I did use the stock sound material and cardboard behind the back seat.
That's pretty much what I would have done.

I actually went to the trouble of buying industrial sound deadening materials, including a lead-filled rubber curtain for behind the back seat, for one car a few years ago, but I got tired of the car and sold it before I could put it all in (it was a F__d ).

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:01 AM

The company I used was called Second Skin out of Arizona, great product.

Good Luck with your build....Todd
Old July 9th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
So you're saying that you out sound deadening material in the trunk (only), and it made the rest of the car quieter?

Did you have the original fiber and sound deadening panels in place behind the rear seat?

- Eric
My car did have all the factory insulation in the cabin, I installed Fatmat in the trunk first because I had a terrible drone problem from the mufflers that made everything in the trunk resonate, doing the trunk helped a lot but sure didn't get rid of the drone, I later changed the mufflers and added Fatmat through the cabin and added it to the inside side panels, it got rid of almost every hum and rattle, it's heavy and expensive but I think it was worth the time and money.
Old July 9th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Interesting. I am surprised, and glad that you shared your first hand experience.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
Also once you get rid of the big noises, you start to hear the little ones that _were_ masked by the big one. The you have t decide how nuts you want to go chasing them too.
Or just turn up the volume on the radio.

Actually, since I drive a convertible I don't worry too much about the noises my car makes since there is so much other noise going on.