rear panel removal

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

rear panel removal

I am in the final throes of stripping the interior out of my '64 coupe but I can't seem to get the rear 'door' panels off. I am reusing them so I don't want them damaged. Is there anything I'm not seeing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140619_182348.jpg (61.7 KB, 37 views)
Old June 20th, 2014, 06:00 AM

i dont remember, doest it lift off???
Old June 20th, 2014, 09:34 AM

On a 72 there is a screw at the front edge in the door jamb area. Not sure about a 64. Might look there.
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:26 AM

You need to check the 1964 Olds Factory Service Manual, which is available for free at wildaboutcars.com

You want pages 16-334 and the few that follow as they give step-by-step instructions on removing the rear quarter trim.

You've obviously already removed the seats and the lower trim, armrest, and window handle. The next steps say the following:

1. Disengage pinchweld finishing strip from pinchweld flange adjacent to trim assembly.

2. Beginning at rear, carefully pull upper edge of trim assembly downward to disengage it from upper finishing molding.

3. Swing rear edge of trim assembly forward and break cement bond at lock pillar pinchweld flange by carefully applying hand pressure to reverse side of trim assembly.

4. To install, reverse removal procedure. Prior to installation of pinchweld finishing strip, cement forward overlapping edge of trim assembly to pinchweld flange outboard surface.

There are several diagrams that go along with these instructions that I can't reproduce here and are another reason why heading over to wildaboutcars.com would be helpful to you.
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:31 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You need to check the 1964 Olds Factory Service Manual, which is available for free at wildaboutcars.com

You want pages 16-334 and the few that follow as they give step-by-step instructions on removing the rear quarter trim.

You've obviously already removed the seats and the lower trim, armrest, and window handle. The next steps say the following:

1. Disengage pinchweld finishing strip from pinchweld flange adjacent to trim assembly.

2. Beginning at rear, carefully pull upper edge of trim assembly downward to disengage it from upper finishing molding.

3. Swing rear edge of trim assembly forward and break cement bond at lock pillar pinchweld flange by carefully applying hand pressure to reverse side of trim assembly.

4. To install, reverse removal procedure. Prior to installation of pinchweld finishing strip, cement forward overlapping edge of trim assembly to pinchweld flange outboard surface.

There are several diagrams that go along with these instructions that I can't reproduce here and are another reason why heading over to wildaboutcars.com would be helpful to you.
Aaaalrighty then. I will have a looksee this evening. I want to finish the interior removal this weekend. Thanks for the info.
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:19 PM

If its anything like a 65 there are two clips at the front edge. Stick a window regulator tool in there and pop it out. Not that hard really.