spay on undercoat

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2014, 11:32 AM

spay on undercoat

just wondering how you folks feel about spray on undercoat applied to the floor under carpet and padding. mostly interested in using it for the ease of application and cost efficiency but im not sure of the pros/cons. any advice??
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Are you thinking of using it instead of paint?
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:35 AM

I would be concerned with the vapors, with this being used on the inside of a vehicle. If down the road you decide to sell the car, someone might consider that a detriment, as it would be a pain to remove. I have to ask, cost compared to what?
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:38 AM

no, i want to spray the floor and trunk floor before i put carpet back in, just to help deaden a little sound but to aid in rust prevention as well, there arent any rusted through spots as the underside of the car seems to have an undercoat applied already, actually dont see any rust at all besides a little surface spots here and there that ive cleaned up already.
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:41 AM

As long as there are no moisture concerns, I would not use any type of rustproofing/undercoating on the interior. factory type jute backing should help, or perhaps Dynamat for more sound deadening.
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:52 AM

sounds good, thanks all, it seems like there has already been a thin layer applied but has peeled and cracked and chunked off in some spots, didnt think about vapors as it would be covered by carpet and padding but that is something to think about, it does get pretty hot here in sc during the summer....as far as cost, i figured three cans or so for 6 bucks each vs 30-40 per dynamat roll would be a little more cost effective, not too much concerned about deadening sound but assumed a little liner would break some of it up but ill be blaring the radio anyways so its not a huge concern. i dont plan on ever selling the car as it was passed down to me from my father when he passed away and hope to keep it in the family for many more years of enjoyment and memories like i had growing up...
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lucille53
spay on undercoat
Hmmm. And I thought this thread was going to be about new ways to neuter your pet.
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I would not use undercoat for that.

Dynamat is not the only game in town for sound deadening & hasn't been for quite some time.

But like anything - cheaper competitors do sometimes equal poor quality.

I'd ask around here & do some web searches & see what other stuff people are using with good results.

I have a box of eDead around here somewhere, but can't really say much about it as I never got around to doing any really big automotive jobs with it - other than a rear package tray (car was sold a few years back).

Seems to be holding up on the inner panels on an old & s-l-o-w PC I had to resurrect & put back in service last year.

The case of that thing always seemed to carry a lot of noise.

The eDead did help quiet it down - cut down on the resonance some making it feel a bit less "tin-canny".

While not unexpected - it did add some weight.

At the time I ordered the eDead (over 10 years ago at this point) it was supposed to be decent stuff.

Whether or not that still holds true - I don't know.
Old April 8th, 2018, 03:30 PM

i used ruberized undercoating on my floor boards and then installed the carpet and bucket seats the following weekend and it rubberized the interior of the floor boards and did add to deadening the sound quite alot.my car doesn't have the sound deadening pad anymore as my motor is a built to the gills olds 455 +030 so weight was cut everywhere i could to help.just a thought
Old April 8th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You probably didn't realize you are posting on a thread that is almost 4 years old. I see you have two posts. Don't feel bad, we have all done it when we first joined. Welcome to Classicolds.