1969 442 Holiday coupe rear seat

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2014, 07:55 AM

1969 442 Holiday coupe rear seat

Guys, I have a 1969 442 holiday coupe. When i got it it had a 70 - 72 interior with the smaller rear seat with wider side panels, (arm rest go to the floor).

I picked up a correct rear seat ( what i think is correct ) for a 1969 and we are in the process of covering it with new legendary covers. The cover of the seat bottom seems really tight even with the cover sitting out in the sun and using a steamer -- it just doesn't look like its gonna fit.

Is it possible that i have a seat frame that is the wrong size??-- for example is a 4 door rear seat wider that the coupe rear seat?

Can anyone give me the correct dimensions for the 69 rear seat so i can double check the size?

Thanks for the help

Best

John
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:40 PM

some pics

see how the bottom would not be covered by the seat cover?? Need some insight

Looks like the seat is wrong to me..

Thanks, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 1-2.JPG (93.8 KB, 38 views)
photo 2-2.JPG (83.4 KB, 40 views)
photo 3.JPG (107.3 KB, 42 views)
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:17 PM

John, your calling this a Holiday coupe. Just to be sure, there's no metal frame around the door glass, correct? When you roll down the side windows for both the door and back seat there's no "post" between them?

The hardtop, post car, convertible and four door have different seats. I'm not sure if the 4 door interchanges with any of the others. But it does sound like you either have the wrong seat cover or the wrong seat frame. I have a 1969 hardtop but the back seat is buried pretty deep in the parts stash. I do have a 1972 Hardtop back seat that's easy to get to, and I think it interchanges. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if that will help. But I just checked with a tape measure and found the front bottom corners of the frame, from left to right was 52 1/2" wide. That is with a seat cover on it so the bare frame should be slightly narrower than that. How wide is yours? Tomorrow when there's better light I can take several measurements and photos to show what I'm measuring. Can you take some measurements of your frame and post for us? John
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:23 PM

OK... sorry I was on the wrong track. I know the 69-72 bucket seats interchange but just realized the back seat was 68-69 without the armrests to the floor, like you said

If nobody else can come up with the measurements I'll dig out 1968-69 seats this weekend to measure them.

John
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:48 AM

the seat frame looks to be correct. I can also get some measurements today for you as I have one easily accessible. I believe the foam thickness is also causing some of your issues, especially around the lower corners where is it wrapped.
thanks
Old June 28th, 2014, 06:00 AM

John,

Thanks for the reply and offer to help-- really appreciate it!

Here's what i can confirm:

- The car is a 1969 holiday coupe not a hardtop or convertible so there is no window post when you roll the front a back windows down.

- When i bought the car it had the wrong interior in it. The interior was a 70 - 72 that had full rear armrests to the floor and the shorter rear seat. The seat frame was also rusted up so i purchased this 1969 seat on the forum. The covers are Legendary. It seems that the back of the rear seat is fine. The bottom has that seat frame that just doesn't look right and the cover will not reach.

- Was doing some research and heres what i think is true.
- The 69 seat is full length with the small arm rests. The seat cover i have actually fits the part you sit on fine-- it just doesn't cover the skirt area.
- I think the convertible seat is more narrow
- its possible that deluxe option could have been ordered with full length arm rests and that seat would also be narrower but not as narrow as the convertible version.
- I dont know about 4 doors, or wagon seats

- It looks like i need another seat bottom to me-- i bet the back is the same for all models

I did measure the length of that bottom frame section the other day and i believe it was 58" but i left the paper at work.

Let me know your thoughts

Best,

John
Old June 28th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by 69442murph
the seat frame looks to be correct. I can also get some measurements today for you as I have one easily accessible. I believe the foam thickness is also causing some of your issues, especially around the lower corners where is it wrapped.
thanks
Anything you can get me would be great. A picture of another seat that's correct ( of that bottom frame section) would also help

Thanks!!
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Here are pics of mine 69 442 Holiday Coupe.
Lower Seat 58 Inches
Upper Seat 56 Inches
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
Here are pics of mine 69 442 Holiday Coupe.
Lower Seat 58 Inches
Upper Seat 56 Inches
Thanks-- thats what i have also. Do you think its possible that the Legendary cover is made wrong? Having to little skirt?

If you look at this video of a 69 skylark rear seat, the seat frame looks the same-- i have no where near that much material on my cover.

Thoughts??

Old June 28th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Call Legendary they are very helpful. Maybe post a picture of the cover.
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:29 PM

I also measured some frames, conv is 52 and hardtop 58.
I am of the opinion that there is to much foam or the thickness of the foam is causing your issues.
If you can reduced the thickness of the foam, and sit the seat with the cover on it outside for a little while, I bet you would be able to get it installed.
Let us see the results when finished.
thanks
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 69442murph
I also measured some frames, conv is 52 and hardtop 58.
I am of the opinion that there is to much foam or the thickness of the foam is causing your issues.
If you can reduced the thickness of the foam, and sit the seat with the cover on it outside for a little while, I bet you would be able to get it installed.
Let us see the results when finished.
thanks
Ok - im sure the seat frame is correct. ( also spoke with the guy that sold it to me and it came out of a '69 442) I think the consensus is that the foam may be too thick. Will speak with Legendary on Monday and also looking at the video the way they set up the front of the seat first and then tighten the cover at the back may also be part of the problem. - meaning i could pull the cover further forward first.

Thanks for all the help guys!! Where would we be without these forums??