1973 Oldsmobile Omega, stock steering wheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2014, 06:31 PM

1973 Oldsmobile Omega, stock steering wheel replacement

Hey guys, does anyone know what wheels will fit my car and where I can get one?

My previous car an 83 Monte Carlo had a really nice Grant GT wheel that came with the car, and all you had to do was flip up the center horn button piece out of there with a flathead or whatever and just loosten a nut.

My Omega has the stock steering wheel and not only is it worn out and old it looks and feels shitty. How do I get to that nut with the stock wheel? Do I have to pry up the horn button?

And if someone knows what wheel will fit my car, and where to get one, either used or new that would be great. Buying one from LORDCO or something here is super overpriced and I'm not 100% sure what ones will fit my vehicle. This is the style I had on my Monte Carlo and I loved it so if I could get one the same as this or similar that would be great, if you have one let me know!

Old April 6th, 2014, 06:50 PM

I couldn't find much googling for Omega wheels, but is it safe to assume that a wheel for a Nova will work just fine?

I'm thinking about getting either the all black, or black and white 13 inch wheel on this page, just a cheapy one for the mean time, anything will be better than the turd that is on there. I'm guessing I'll need some sort of mounting kit once I figure out how to remove the old one?

http://www.andysautosport.com/chevro.../grant/?ftr=gt

If anybody has a used one lying around with the hardware I would love to take it off your hands
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:12 PM
" Hoo yah "

First off nice Omega. Mi estilo! I like the paint color. Stock 68 350? As for your search for steering wheels check out this link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Steering-w...51c65a&vxp=mtr

As for installation check out this link

Different brand, but same idea.
Kino
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:47 PM

Thanks man, yeah the 350 is pretty much entirely stock, it was originally a straight six car but I've got at least a few bolt ons planned, at the very least and intake manifold and getting the quadrajet off there.
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:40 PM

Hey guys, I just got my new wheel but I'm wondering what is the best way to get the original one off and how do I do it? Am I going to need a steering wheel puller? And how do I take the wheel apart to get to the nuts/bolts I have to remove?
Old April 26th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by CyberCholo
Hey guys, I just got my new wheel but I'm wondering what is the best way to get the original one off and how do I do it? Am I going to need a steering wheel puller? And how do I take the wheel apart to get to the nuts/bolts I have to remove?
Yes, you will need a steering wheel puller. I know harbor freight has them pretty cheap. If you have the wheel I'm picturing there should be two screws from the backside into the horn button. Remove them, then pry off the horn button and you'll be able to see the large nut that holds it to the wheel. If that doesn't work let us know.

John
Old April 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What John said ^^. Also, the Grant series of wheels likely needs an adapter for the horn spring and contact. i bought one for my car a long time ago and got really ticked off by that, so I just put the OEM one back on and returned the GT to JB's.
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:14 PM

I've got the adapter already connected to the wheel.

Thanks guys, I'l have to buy a puller tuesday with the rest of my stuff, weird that you need a puller for a stock wheel when the aftermarket grant wheel on my Monte Carlo just had a nut you had to remove and I imagine this one is the same, why cant they make the stock ones just as easy? haha
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I've got the adapter already connected to the wheel.

Thanks guys, I'l have to buy a puller tuesday with the rest of my stuff, weird that you need a puller for a stock wheel when the aftermarket grant wheel on my Monte Carlo just had a nut you had to remove and I imagine this one is the same, why cant they make the stock ones just as easy? haha
All stock wheels need a puller. You might be able to use the 'tool loaner' program at Part Source. (it's 'free loaners'. You put down a deposit which they give back to you when you return the tool)
Old April 26th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Not sure if we have tools rentals in Canada, I'll have to call around.
Old April 26th, 2014, 05:54 PM

I've pulled hundreds (yes literally 100's) of OEM steering wheels off by hand. Loosen the center nut to the last couple of threads, seat your self behind the steering wheel and take your hands and grip the steering wheel and start pulling. Use your body weight to rock back and forth as you pull outward. It will pop loose from the splined shaft. Remove the nut and the wheel is off.

Henry
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not sure if we have tools rentals in Canada, I'll have to call around.
Called the Part Source Loaner Program. We have it in Canada. I use it here in Alberta.