Interior Mods - Have you been there, done that?

Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:47 PM

74 Cutlass Interior Mods - Have you been there, done that?

Here are some things I want to do with my 74 Cutlass and hoping others have tried the same and can provide feedback and advice:

Cruise control:
I really like the OE look but I have a feeling that I might be opening a can of worms since from what I can tell I would be scavenging for used parts which may need to be rebuilt anyways. Choice number two would be an aftermarket system like the one offered by Dakota Digital. Thoughts?

Tilt column swap:
I want tilt steering in my car, is the swap from non-tilt to tilt a direct one? Will all 73-77 A-Body’s fit my car? If I picked one up from a 77, would the wire connection s be the same, or would I need to swap that over from my current column? How complicated is it to rebuild a tilt column? Anyone have a good how to article?

Console:
I want to install a factory Console/floor shifter. What is involved in this? Is it a simple installation? I’m thinking I would need to do this @ the same time I swap the column.

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited by BAFRAYD; April 3rd, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:13 PM

I wasn't sure which model your 74 cutlass was so I looked at your album. I like those seats they look great...
I don't know what the best route for you would be for the cruise control but I would look for a stock setup, I've pulled a couple out of the wrecking yard and there ain't much to it. It
just plugs in to you fuse box. I have had good luck finding parts by regularly checking the inventory of local pick a parts. Your going to want a 73-76 tilt, 77 is metric. Just make sure you don't get the dimmer switch on the column or the wiring will be different. If you wanted the dimmer on the column you would need the wiring harness from a 74 salon. To add a console your going to have to make a couple mounting brackets for the front and back of the console. You'll have to remove the bottom air vent in the middle there is a different one for the console that wraps around to the drivers side. If you want I'll take some pictures. Also I've never had to rebuild a tilt column, if its lose there are a couple screws you can tighten on the inside. Hope this anwsers your questions.
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the information. I do need to find a way to move the dimmer switch so I can reach it with my hand. So I would need the entire wire harness or just the part related to the dimmer switch and steering column? I recently picked up a console for a reasonable price. Now all I need is a shifter, cable and tilt column.... Pictures would be great! Thanks, Eric
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:22 AM

I just want to elaborate on the wiring harness real quick for others who might read this thread. One thing that is unique that they did it in 74 was there is a relay with a button on the firewall that says start. Of course this is on the engine side of the wiring harness, however I bought a dash out of a 74 salon with the wiring harness and I can't remember what exactly but there was something related to the relay with the.button on it. Also in 76 they went to a bigger fuse box, and in 77 they redesigned the dash which made the wiring harness different.

As long.I didn't take it apart I have the wiring harness. I also have a very nice tilt out.of a 73 grand am with the.dimmer on the.column, however there i desert valley auto parts about 6 miles from me with a 76 salon ( all salons have the dimmer on the column) that has a tilt and cruise control. I might also have a spare shifter. And you can get a brand new shifter cable on ebay maybe even the trans bracket that holds the cable. Let me.know what you think.
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:57 PM

In order to swap the column mount dimmer switch and OE Cruise Control into my car, how much of my current wiring harness would have to be replaced with the wiring harness from the Salon?

Do you think this would be a “doable” task for a beginner/amateur wrench turner? Honestly this sounds like it might be a bit much for me.

Do you know what kind of mechanical shape the column in the 76 Salon is in? If the swap is pretty straight forward and the Salon has all the parts for the CC I might be interested. I would also be interested in the shifter.

Thanks, Eric
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:07 AM

I think its very doable if you don't mind pulling the dash to change the wiring harness. I'll go to look at everything sometime next week and take some pictures for you to see what you think.
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:02 PM

I got back over there and someone messed up the column. Its all a little work. I would buy a shop manual I just recently bought one for my car and its awesome! It would have made everything a lot easier for me if I would bought one a long time ago. Is has shade light on somethings nobody could give me answer for. I'll send you a pm here. Here's a like for a manual on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-74-OLDS...d36eea&vxp=mtr