Rear Courtesy Lights

Old March 27th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Rear Courtesy Lights

I'm removing the headliner from the Starfire. I can't figure out how to remove the rear courtesy lamps in the back, to remove the panel you have to remove the lights as far as i can tell, however no luck, i have googled it and also checked service manuals on Wildaboutcars.com but unfortunately i can't find the answer. these lamps have round fixtures and i have tried turning the entire fixture in hopes it threaded on. I tried prying the lens but I want to avoid hurting the headliner or side panels. Any help is appreciated as always!
Thanks in advance!

Cody
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM

I figured it out! nvm guys, I realized that after popping the plastic lens out there are two screws that remove the fixture. I is smart! lol
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Oldsdruid

Well, that one was simple enough! You're finding out that Oldsmobile liked to hide fasteners, and you'll find more as you go deeper into this car.

While you have the sailpanels out, you can get to the nuts that hold the roof stars on. Hopefully yours are good- I searched for those things for 15 years.

If your lenses are brittle or get damaged fooling with the roof lamps, repros are available. Many 62-68 GM cars use the same plastic lens. Olds and Pontiac generally had flat ones while Chevy had concentric circles moulded into theirs.
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM

Yeah my roof stars are in really good shape. The lenses did end up breaking while trying to get them out, after reading online a little bit I found its pretty common apparently so it didnt make me feel as bad. But yes, I have in fact found out Oldsmobile enjoyed hiding fasteners.."rolls eyes". Oh well, it will all be worth in when its done, Thanks for the info!

Cody