Foam for bench w/center arm rest

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Foam for bench w/center arm rest

I'm getting ready to intall new seat covers and want to replace the foam on my front bench. I can't find the foam for a bench with the center arm rest but was wondering if the bottoms are the same as a split bench? Anyone have any experiance in DIY foam replacement on the bench seat with center armrest? Thanks
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:28 PM

You can use individual sheets of foam, custom cut for your application.
The shop that did mine did just that, and he let me sit on some samples to test the firmness. This was cool because i was able to choose my density (firmness) and he also bolstered it and put in some extra lumbar support.
A side benefit is that the foam was very cheap compared to any that might be premade.
Check out my "interior makeover" thread below for more info!
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:57 PM
major noob

Lady72nrob71 you have helped me out here I was told I couldn't do that but now I know I can that helps. Who did your work and can I ask a price as to what you paid
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:07 PM

I've read your thread, a lot of good info. I called a few suppliers and they all suggest I use the split bench bottom and cut the the back foam to fit. My back is fine and was hoping the bottoms are the same which apparently they are. I guess I'll find out for sure when it all arrives. I also tried the local shops but around here they all want close to a grand just in labor to install the covers. I've done a few rear seats so I figure the $1000 can be spent on my a/c plus I'm kind of DIY type of guy.
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Ben

These did not have foam in them when new.
I repeat...no foam.

They used a thick cotton pad that sat on top of the burlap&jute layer which was there to protect it from the springs.

As rob mentioned you can get nice modern automotive grade sheet foam (2 1" sheets work nice, a single 2" layer works but is hard to muscle around the edges.

Due to the design of these seats where the springs take the load... there is really minimal benefit to using fancy foams on top.. because when you sit.. the springs compress by design!

I typically just rebuild the cotton layer with new. Takes 5-6 layers of uncompressed cotton batting to properly fill out the covers.

If you want to spend the $200.. the aci split bench molded foam set is really nice and will work for the bottom... but the upper cushions won't even come close as expected.

Anyway.. just some thoughts..I've done a few of them.
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Are you saying the front has the batton also or just the rear? I knew the rear had burlap and cotton (ordered 10yds) but I thought the front bench had foam. I hope so, I ordered the ACI bench foam.
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Ben

The aci bench foam is a reproduction product... and is top notch. The bottom cushion will work great for you... however when you strip your old you'll find no foam in there.

Occasionally I find a single sheet of generic sheet foam in them over the cotton... hard to say if that was factory or something people have added through the years... others have none.

Some select rear seats got molded foam... convertibles sometimes did. Most hard tops did not. Why? Couldn't tell ya. Just know what I see when I strip them down :-)

If you are planning to try it yourself shoot me an email... I can send you some photos & tips doing it if its your first time.

:-)
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the offer, I can use all the pics and tips I can get. I think I confussed you though, I am doing the rear seat also but I ordered the ACI foam for the front bench. I've done a few rear seats with the burlap and cotton but never the front. if you have any tips for the front I will more than happy to listen. Jwhitsell@nesrentals.com thanks again
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by billmerbach
Lady72nrob71 you have helped me out here I was told I couldn't do that but now I know I can that helps. Who did your work and can I ask a price as to what you paid
I had a local independent shop do mine, "YoBoy Enterprises".
The guy who runs it is the son of an old couple who had an upholstery shop for years and passed the business to him upon retirement. His dad would always call him by "Yo, boy!"
Very nice country fellow and he did excellent work.
To strip the seats, sandblast and paint the frames, install the front and rear covers and supply the foam, it cost me $510. I also had him install seat heaters and redo the rear armrests for an extra cost.

On my stock 72 vert, the front seat had foam on top of burlap for both seat bottoms, front and rear. The front seat back and armrest had foam too. Only the rear seat back had cotton batting and burlap.
The front seat back and armrest foam was in good shape so he steamed it and added another 1/2 of foam for good measures. I forgot how he redid the rear seat back, whether with new cotton or foam.
Both feel firm and new, even 5 years later!