4 Spoke Sport Wheel Installation

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:31 PM

4 Spoke Sport Wheel Installation

Alright, I just got this in the mail yesterday! It's been a paint to clean up, that's for sure. I heard these things were notorious for being sticky, and this one certainly held up to that standard, lol! I've noticed that baking soda-water paste has helped big time with that, though. (Thanks Mom!)

I was wondering if I had all the pieces I need to install the wheel! We did this on my Uncles near the end of the summer, and unfortunately I didn't pay attention enough. Haha. I just got a horn button off of Ebay, by the way. (A Buick one, because all the Olds ones are way too pricey.) I'll get an Olds emblem in there! Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140222_134713.jpg (96.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140222_135118.jpg (82.3 KB, 94 views)
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM

Looks like you got all the parts. You know that's a stafire not a cutlass/442 wheel right? You can tell by the stitching on the top. It's also an inch smaller diameter.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Looks like you got all the parts. You know that's a stafire not a cutlass/442 wheel right? You can tell by the stitching on the top. It's also an inch smaller diameter.
You know what, I was wondering why it felt smaller. Do you mean the diameter of the wheel, or the thickness of the outer part? Is that the only difference? I noticed the center is a little offset, as well. Thanks for letting me know!

Last edited by Keegan; February 23rd, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The Starfire wheel is 14 1/2" diameter. The Cutlass 4 spoke wheel is 15 1/2" diameter. You will notice the difference trying to see the gages. Starfire wheel is a completely different part number, but will fit the car you have.

Not sure what that big bolt is for though. It's not part of that steering wheel or install.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
The Starfire wheel is 14 1/2" diameter. The Cutlass 4 spoke wheel is 15 1/2" diameter. You will notice the difference trying to see the gages. Starfire wheel is a completely different part number, but will fit the car you have.

Not sure what that big bolt is for though. It's not part of that steering wheel or install.
Awesome! I kind of prefer the feel of this one. I always wished the wheel would be a little smaller. Do you know if there's a difference in "rarity" for the Starfire versions? Were there a small amount of Starfires that received the sport wheel?
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Neither the Starfire or Cutlass wheel is rare, UNLESS it's an OEM NOS part. The Starfire wheel was introduced I believe on the 75 Starfire and Omega The key selling feature of that wheel was the color matching of the wheel and horn button to the interior color of the car. Here's a page from the 75 Starfire brochure that shows the color match. This wheel was standard on the SX models in later years. IMO the downsized wheel was designed to match the smaller car interior. Still, it looks very cool.
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:06 AM
major noob

yea they are pretty sticky I find alcohol cleaned it up better along with a scrubbing pad
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Why is the horn contact ring disassembled? The three parts are held together with plastic insulating rivets, which I do not see. There are special screws that hold it to the hub.
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Why is the horn contact ring disassembled? The three parts are held together with plastic insulating rivets, which I do not see. There are special screws that hold it to the hub.
I do have these rivets, but they seem to be worn out and unusable. They aren't holding the 3 pieces together at all.
So right now I'm looking for an alternative. I know it probably has to be plastic, but it will probably be difficult to find something. When I go the wheel, the internals were disassembled. I've been following a thread for an installation guide!
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Keegan
I do have these rivets, but they seem to be worn out and unusable. They aren't holding the 3 pieces together at all.
So right now I'm looking for an alternative. I know it probably has to be plastic, but it will probably be difficult to find something. When I go the wheel, the internals were disassembled. I've been following a thread for an installation guide!
I've seen people uses small plastic zip ties to hold the pieces together. You might give that a try.

John
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've seen people uses small plastic zip ties to hold the pieces together. You might give that a try.

John
Will do! Thanks
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:11 PM
72 Olds CS

I used the smallest zip ties on one I did it worked fine but was a little fiddly assembling, I used small plastic screws from the HW store on another that worked out too and was easier
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:55 AM

I thought I had seen a repair kit that has those plastic parts...I beleive he is a CO member. Google is your friend!

http://www.thegoodoldsdays.com/realoldsmobile.asp
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tom442
I thought I had seen a repair kit that has those plastic parts...I beleive he is a CO member. Google is your friend!

http://www.thegoodoldsdays.com/realoldsmobile.asp
Wow, 9$! I guess I can't complain. It's exactly what I need. Thanks!