72 Cutlass 2 Dr Hardtop Headliner Molding

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
72 Cutlass 2 Dr Hardtop Headliner Molding

I am restoring the entire interior of my 72 Cutlass with Legendary Products... The carpet is black, bucket seats White, Headliner is White, Door Panels White, Can someone please let me know what color the Headliner Trim, the Trim Molding that goes around the Front & Rear interior Windows.. I was thinking Black, but not sure if White would be the best way to go.. Also I have a crack on top of the dash.I have seen the molded caps that are glued on, but living in Florida it can get pretty hot and I was worried about it separating, and not sure if it looks kind of cheesy.. I live in the Tampa area if someone knows anybody who does dash makeovers..

Thanks, in advance... Patrick
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:41 PM

The headliner trim (windlace) would be a matching white with the color combo you have. May be a slightly off white (like the rest of the white in the interior).

Just find a nice used dashpad....don't mess with someone trying to re-cover the existing one. You can usually find decent dashpads on sites like this. Don't pass up a nice one that's not black...you can paint/dye the pad with a product like SEM Landau Black Plastic/Vinyl paint.

The challenge will be finding nice windlace pieces in that color. The stuff gets sort of sticky with age so you may have to clean any used stuff you find and also dye/paint it.

Last edited by 70Post; January 29th, 2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old January 30th, 2014, 04:42 AM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Thank you so much Sir, I think you just asked my follow up question too.. I have the old ones still, but like you said they are discolored and sticky in certain places.. Do you know of any products that is safe on the windlace? Thanks again for responding. I'm kinda new to the website, I'm not sure if I should have posted this question here or somewhere else.

Thanks, Patrick
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:23 PM

That "goo" you find on the parts is pretty tenacious. Fortunately, you can go at the windlaces with some pretty harsh cleaners and not really damage the plastic/vinyl/rubber/or-whatever-those-are-made-of material.

You can use some type of solvent or possibly some of that tar/goop remover stuff called "Goo Gone". Also...some VERY GOOD hand cleaners may work but you really have to scrub the heck out of them to make sure you are getting the "goo" stuff out from down in the textured/grained areas of the windlaces. A good stiff nylon bristle brush or maybe even a brass bristled brush (fine type wire) may work.

I had to clean up a set here that was a blue color and it had some serious goo and dirt embedded down in the texture/grain pattern. Be prepared to scrub A LONG TIME...that goo stuff can be stubborn.

If you use some sort of solvent then a very thorough scrubbing with hot water and a good soap (Dawn dishwashing soap for example) would be a good idea as a follow up cleaning.
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:28 PM

Thanks Again !!! I appreciate the detailed response. I was getting ready to buy all new windlace, so I will give this a shot first.. You probably just saved me $200 or more. Thanks again, I will take some before & after pics Sophia some other schmuck doesn't waste money, lol..