Carpet Choice

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2013, 08:09 PM

Carpet Choice

I'm in the process of purchasing new carpet for my 69 442. I see ACC for about $130 vs Legendary for $175. Any advice on which one is the better quality?

Also, if I want a nice deep pile, do I add install additional jute or backing above what comes standard with the ordered carpet?

Thanks.
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:37 PM

The "pile" usually refers to the depth of the carpet material (the loops on top, or in the case of the later carpets in cars sometime after the '70's...the depth of the fuzzy stuff). So, adding padding underneath isn't going to give it a deeper "pile". Besides, I'd refrain from doing that as I'll explain below.

Carpet makers/sellers: Legendary does not make carpet...they buy it from ACC (and Trim Parts I believe...another manufacturer) and it'll most likely be drop shipped to you from ACC if you buy from Legendary. Legendary may have one of their Christmas sales coming up so you may be able to buy it from them at a better price although they typically don't discount their non-Legendary-made-products as much during these sales as they do the stuff they actually make like seat covers and door panels.

Padding: The carpet comes with a synthetic jute already glued to the backside. Similar thickness to what the factory used. Sure, you can add more padding but why?? Are you rolling around on the floor of your car.....do that in your living room if you must and go get some real nice thick carpet for that room!

The carpet is pretty much molded for your floorpan. If you are trying to achieve a restored/stock look then go with what they sell you (although you may still have to add some padding on the trans tunnel areas as these seem to be habitually molded a bit oversized on the repro carpet sets).

ACC has some sort of "upgrade" option with a denser sound deadening type material (I believe). I think they refer to it as a "mass backing". Haven't seen this stuff yet so can't comment.

The other reason I mention not trying to make the carpet look perfectly flat on the floors (if that is the reason you suggest extra padding) is the pre-molded areas in the carpet. These are subtle but they are there throughout the carpet surface. If you try to flatten these areas out they'll likely just pucker upwards and look bad.
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Thanks 70Post. That's exactly the answer I'm looking for.
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Further to my original question

It looks like I will be changing out the factory bench seat with buckets and console but not for a while. Can I order new bench seat carpeting and still use that carpeting for buckets/console set-up or vice versa? Thanks much.
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM

or..

Randy

I would remove the carpet & clean it. Once it is totally dry dye it black & put it back in. Once you are ready to install the buckets & console swap in the new carpet intended for the bucket seat console application.

Dave

edit...oh yeah....when the carpet is all out admire just how clean that factory floor is!

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; February 25th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Just regular clothing dye or is there a particular type of dye you would use?
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
It looks like I will be changing out the factory bench seat with buckets and console but not for a while. Can I order new bench seat carpeting and still use that carpeting for buckets/console set-up or vice versa? Thanks much.
No. Look under the bench seat and you will see that the carpeting does not overlap. There is a small section (about 4") that has no carpet - just floor pan.

I considered replacing the carpet in my 72 because it was badly faded - not worn - just faded. I did what Dave also suggested and dyed it a crisp black using Duplicolor fabric/vinyl dye. It looks fantastic now.

Old February 25th, 2014, 05:44 PM

I just replaced the carpet in my car. I ordered it from the Parts Place and it came from Trim Parts. I was very happy with the quality and fit.
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I'll be doing. I also needed to know if the carpet was the same. I know the ACC site indicates the replacement is the same for both bench and bucket but I would imagine the holes from the bench seats will be visible after the bench is removed and the buckets are installed. So this is the best solution for now.
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't have any experience with after market replacement carpet yet. For all I know they might produce them so both the bench and bucket front/back sections overlap. What I do know from my 72 is the OEM carpet doesn't overlap. Maybe a bucket seat car/console would hide that too, but I don't know. So far I haven't been lucky enough to stumble on any of these cars in the bone yard with console/buckets. The search goes on.
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:32 PM

Thanks Allan, I was lucky enough to score a nice console/shifter out of Calgary that Oldsmobiledave is holding for me and a set of buckets from Victoria I will be picking up this week. I checked out your profile and really like the quality work you've done on your 72.
Appreciate all the help as well.

Randy
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:56 PM

I believe the welded-on floor mounts for the bench seat tracks are the same, and same location, as the outboard mounts for buckets. If this is the case, you wouldn't have any problem with "exposed holes" etc when swapping over to buckets later on since the carpet would get cut to clear the feet on the outboard seat tracks in the same location (bench and bucket).
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
I believe the welded-on floor mounts for the bench seat tracks are the same, and same location, as the outboard mounts for buckets. If this is the case, you wouldn't have any problem with "exposed holes" etc when swapping over to buckets later on since the carpet would get cut to clear the feet on the outboard seat tracks in the same location (bench and bucket).

This is correct. My car was originally bench seat and the outboard bucket seat brackets bolt into the original bench seat holes. They make repo inner bucket seat brackets that can be welded to the floors for the mount next to the hump. All holes for seats, console, seatbelt mounts etc. must be cut in the new carpet.
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:24 AM

Thanks again guys, I can now go ahead and order my new carpet without worry about whether the conversion happens or not.
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:42 PM

SMS also sells carpet sets, and they have access to more colors, etc. if you're having trouble finding original style materials.

I never thought of dying my carpet. That's a good idea. I will have to google and see if Duplicolor has something in teal.
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Has anyone noticed how the price has increased for carpet?

ACC wants $257 now.

I've also seen that some recommend non stick carpet for stick shift cars for better fitment.

Why?