Rear Seat Lap Belt Install Questions-71 Conv

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Rear Seat Lap Belt Install Questions-71 Conv

I have a couple questions on installing rear lap belts on my 71 cutlass conv. The previous owner CUT all three sets of rear lap seat belts out of the car. I finally got all of the bolts out (holy smokes, GM did not intend to have those to be removed as it took me leaning on a long breaker bar standing in the back with my top down to get them out).

When I removed the stubs I noticed a sticky backing on the floor panel. I scraped it off with a putty knife (you can see a couple pieces next to the stub) and it was square with blue paint overspray.

A friend gave me three original GM lap belts for replacement. My first question is, do I need to replace this backing and if so what do I use? I think the answer to my second question is yes but when I put the seat belt bolts back in should I use thread sealant (looking at Permatex)?

As a lifelong Springfield resident, I hope all of those that came to the 2013 Olds Nationals last weekend enjoyed the time and city even with the rain on Fri night. Great cars, loved them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0218.jpg (41.1 KB, 34 views)
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 71Viking Blue
The previous owner CUT all three sets of rear lap seat belts out of the car.
Since the P.O. was clearly an idiot, better check the car thoroughly for his other boneheaded "improvements".

The sticky-backed material is a combination water sealer and sound deadener. The tabs of the belts are supposed to be slightly loose under the heads of the bolts (these are shoulder bolts, not fully threaded) to allow the belts to align when installed so as to load the webbing equally. The sound deadener prevents the tabs on the belts from banging on the metal floor pan.