Rear Seat belts

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM

Rear Seat belts

In my 69 Cutlass convt. I have 3 rear seat belts.

When I connect male to female on all 3, I cannot tighten any of them.. is there an easy way to free up the movement so they can be adjusted? My guess is they haven't been used in 20+ years.. even a pretty good tug will not let them adjust.. wonder if there is anything I can do to get them moving?
Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by LI Olds
In my 69 Cutlass convt. I have 3 rear seat belts.

When I connect male to female on all 3, I cannot tighten any of them.. is there an easy way to free up the movement so they can be adjusted? My guess is they haven't been used in 20+ years.. even a pretty good tug will not let them adjust.. wonder if there is anything I can do to get them moving?
Can you adjust the buckle end before you hook them together? I suspect you are correct, they are rusted. While you can try to spray penetrating oil in the adjuster, you will likely oil stain the webbing and possibly prevent the adjuster from holding the belt. Maybe try silicone instead?
Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:43 AM

On some buckles, (I have done it on a set of Deluxe buckles), you can use a big screwdriver to pry the rod out of the pocket. Clean it up on a wire wheel, or media blaster, reinstall and they work much better.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM

I stuck a long flat screwdriver in and was able to manually release some of the tension and pull the belt to full extension, I drop some WD-40 gel in there, but still wont move freely.. perhaps I should remove the buckle cover? I would just hate to ruin an original piece
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by LI Olds
.... perhaps I should remove the buckle cover? I would just hate to ruin an original piece
They are very difficult to remove without damaging them. Ask me how I know

I soaked the belts in warm soap and water and was able to get them moving once the webbing was pliable again. I worked them back and forth while they were still wet. After they dried they were fairly pliable and they still work now.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM

mine were like that as well. I even took mine a part and hand washed them, after years of being so stiff they were still tough for kids and many adults to use. I broke down and had them re-webbed, it is really nice to have working safe belts. I have heard stories of the old belts snapping in an accident because of age so that is another reason to re-web them.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
mine were like that as well. I even took mine a part and hand washed them, after years of being so stiff they were still tough for kids and many adults to use. I broke down and had them re-webbed, it is really nice to have working safe belts. I have heard stories of the old belts snapping in an accident because of age so that is another reason to re-web them.

see now you have me a little freaked out.. my plan was to install my daughters car seat behind the passenger side using this belt.

I think I should just get one of these http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1969/int...ories/CH28660/
and leave the other 2 belts alone, since no one will ever use them.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM

yep very good idea, that's exactly why I did mine - 4 children all worth more than an original set of seatbelt webbing - Just keep your old set.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:28 PM

I just read about belt life researching replacements. 20 year old belts are dangerous as materials including the stitching breaks down. I was eyeing some original, deluxe style belts on Ebay when I found the article. I ordered new reproductions that I feel better about.

The article also discussed NHRA rules that race car belts are changed every two years. A new, five point padded harness every two years? Yikes!