driver's seat is coming unstitched

Old August 17th, 2011, 04:34 AM

driver's seat is coming unstitched

what is needed to restitch driver's seat that the stitches are coming out and cover is pulling apart? I want to do this before it gets any worse.

Thanks,
Keith

PS...can this be done with seat still inside car?
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:00 AM

First, yes, I would think a repair like this could be done with the seat in the car. I've had similar kinds and even more serious upholstery work done over the years to more modern cars, and the seats did not have to be removed.

Second, unless you know what you're doing, I would take it to an auto upholstery shop and let them do it. Auto upholstering is as much an art as a science, and they'll have the proper tools and experience as well.

They'll probably tell you that, unless the fabric is still firm and not dried out, they can't restitch it, anyway. Rather, they would have to remove as much old fabric as necessary and replace it with new. Depending on how important to you an original look is, you might end up having to have the entire seat recovered. If you're lucky, and the seat fabric is still strong and pliable, new stitching might be all that is needed.
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Depends if it's ripping along a seam, i would say post some pictures of what's going on. If it's ripping at a seam, to make it look good you might have to take the cover off your car and sew from underneath...

Buckets or bench seat? I've totally recovered seats myself, only problem is, you need a set of hog-ring pliers and hog rings to get the cover back on.
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:20 AM

IMO, and that is all it is, an opinion. The seat will need to come out and the cover off to be repaired correctly. They are sewn by a big heavy duty sewing machine. The machine is not portable and is not hand operated. It is large and normally mounted to a large table. The large table is so the large seat covers, and even larger items produced and repaired by upholestry shops can be handled and ran through the sewing machine.
Good luck.
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:21 AM

If you decide to stitch it yourself, use 100% polyester thread and double it up. Should outlast the covers then...
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM

I strongly agree with mike, take the cover off, a set of hog ring pliers with rings should run you 20 bucks at most.

I thought about stitching my original covers, but they fell apart in my hands, so i ended up buying the repop, they fit pretty nicely.

Here is a picture of my seats, except some people might say i didnt stay original.

Rob, i saw your interior job, so i decided to go from Covert Gold to Dark Saddle, i find it looks really nice in my interior.

I installed these seats last night.

Cheers,

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bench seat.jpg (51.0 KB, 10 views)