One fell in, one comes out

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

One fell in, one comes out

So I go to adjust the driver's side exterior mirror and I must have scared the switch or something as it left me holding the "joystick" as it scampered off down inside the door panel. That leaves me with the joystick itself (seems fine), the chrome outer "beauty ring" and a hole where the switch should be.

I can see the Phillips-head-looking "X" opening in the switch socket and it seems fine, as is the joystick itself. This leaves me without a "point of failure" and uncertain as to what will need replacing.

Any idea as to what "usually" has broken when this happens? Taking the driver's door apart is a daunting task and I don't want to have it all apart only to find that I need a part that'll take a while to find so I have to leave it taken apart.

Make sense?

This one's easier (I hope). My glovebox was locked and in order to see what was in it one of my daughters grabbed my keyring to unlock it. Thing is, we were driving at the time and when she tugged on it the ignition key came out.

Futher research shows that you have to have the key in to turn the cylinder from its starting position, but after that you can just use the ignition switches "butterfly" alone.

There's no difference between using the original keys vs. later copies, so I'm thinking it's the cylinder itself. Other than being able to leave the car running on its own with the doors locked (Keyless Go!) there hasn't been any indication that something's happened to the keyway.

Is it going to get worse? Is this a "typical" issue? Does something need fixing? These are the things I must know!

Drew
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Over the years I've had a few GM cars you coud pull the keys out, while started!
Could lock it w/o the keys, but when locked, ya can't turn it!
Kinda convienient, to me!