Headliner tips

Old February 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Headliner tips

1972 Cutlass Supreme
Will be attempting to install a headliner. Any tips?
I removed the old one and all the bows and clips were reusable. I purchased the headliner from OPGI. What do I need to do to get a nice tight headliner install?
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Past Administrator

welcome to CO. Re-post your question here. You may get some good answers. I have never re-done a headliner but do understand how the headliner needs to be nice and tight to look good. Good luck.
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM

next, call a professional, lol
i tried one several years ago and had to toss it in the trash and start over with a new one. the second one has wrenkles in it. i think that will be on the list to have done this year on my Rallye 350. this time i will pay to have it done. i am sure if you take your time you can do it but i suck at it. anyway, welcome. and i am sure someone will help you better than i am. post pictures of your car for us to see.
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
next, call a professional, lol

X2 on this quote if you have never done one leave it to them ......that are a VERY BIG P I T A
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Lay it on large area to work. Get some small binder paper clips at Target the small chrome ones $3 round box, x2.
Put your screws in the holes, seat belt, sun-visors, review mirror, doom light. Not the big ones for the seat belts, I think you can find those easy, I took mine out after the photo.

1. Find the center of your headliner. Mark center on all 5 loops with sharpie.
2. Lay bows in order on top of loops. Cut loop about 1 - 1.5 inch from the end of bow. (the small one cut close, but does not matter if you leave some to cover bow completely.)
3. Cut white part of loop, without cutting any stitching to the 1 inch cut.
4. Put bows in-- in the proper loop/loom.
5. Put clips in roof first. Start in the back bow first. Pop bows in clips using your center mark for center.
6. When all 5 bows are clipped in place.
7. Start on the sides in the middle and pull snug. Not to much it will pull off center. Work from side to side using the clips to hold it in place.
8. Take you time.
9. When the area by the side windows is tight. Start in the back window in the center and pull tight...Pull the front...
10. Some say spray the headliner edges, and the rails with contact adhesive. I used black weather striping adhesive.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM

11. I cut the headliner to help it fit better. Note photo with slices in liner.
12. I put adhesive on both the fabric and the rail.
---- I cut extra fabric before moving clips, after it dried with single edge razer blade. Put trim back on. I could have done a better job, but it is done.
Email me if something is not clear, or you have any other question about this post.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Past Administrator

Since hamm36 gave us such a nice tutorial I am going to go ahead and move this thread to the interiors forum for correct classification and future searchers. Nice work!
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:13 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I'm glad somebody knows how to do it, casue I sure can't
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Registered

Welcome new guy.

Nice write-up Hamm. I did mine about the same way, but Vista Cruisers have two headliners.
And four sun visors.

Take your time, anybody can do it, I did.
Fisher Body probably did them in about 3-4 minutes at the most.
The shipping folds creases are the biggest PITA.
Mine had a few wrinkles but they came out when I parked the car outside in the summer sun.

I just happen to have a pic handy online.
I can do it.

Old February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Cutlass Lover

You do good work! Looks very beautiful!
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by hamm36
11. I cut the headliner to help it fit better. Note photo with slices in liner.
12. I put adhesive on both the fabric and the rail.
---- I cut extra fabric before moving clips, after it dried with single edge razer blade. Put trim back on. I could have done a better job, but it is done.
Email me if something is not clear, or you have any other question about this post.
Hello,
I see you cut yours to make it fit better. Does this mean you cut it like that then pulled each individual piece in turn and glued, etc? I think I understand the rest of it well enough. I may attempt it today. Ill most likely throw the top in the dryer and see if that softens it up a bit since its raining today.
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:52 AM

I would never try to do one but I remember when I was small my mom used to make lamp shades and would spray them with water and they would shrink real nice and tight? Might work if it were some kind of cotton that would shrink. Andy
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Posting for Carl - he cannot log in right now:

11. Ans: I cut the fabric in slices so it would fit around the curved parts of the rail better. You will see it better when you get into it. Also, they can be pulled on. The new materal is stronger then I thought it was going to be.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM

Thanks Rob, I was out of town and it would not let me log on.
JPaul, did you put your headliner in?? How did it go?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks Rob, I was out of town and it would not let me log on.
JPaul, did you put your headliner in?? How did it go?
No not yet. Soon, probably this week.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM

Headliner Clips

Lay it on large area to work. Get some small binder paper clips at Target the small chrome ones $3 round box, x2.
Put your screws in the holes, seat belt, sun-visors, review mirror, doom light. Not the big ones for the seat belts, I think you can find those easy, I took mine out after the photo.

1. Find the center of your headliner. Mark center on all 5 loops with sharpie.
2. Lay bows in order on top of loops. Cut loop about 1 - 1.5 inch from the end of bow. (the small one cut close, but does not matter if you leave some to cover bow completely.)
3. Cut white part of loop, without cutting any stitching to the 1 inch cut.
4. Put bows in-- in the proper loop/loom.
5. Put clips in roof first. Start in the back bow first. Pop bows in clips using your center mark for center.

6. When all 5 bows are clipped in place.
7. Start on the sides in the middle and pull snug. Not to much it will pull off center. Work from side to side using the clips to hold it in place.
8. Take you time.
9. When the area by the side windows is tight. Start in the back window in the center and pull tight...Pull the front...
10. Some say spray the headliner edges, and the rails with contact adhesive. I used black weather striping adhesive.
Hamm36 I am installing a headline in a 72 Cutlass S and after removing the old headliner there are clips in place for the back three bows but there were no clips holding the front two bows in place.
Question
Should there be clips for all 5 bows?
Who can you order new clips from if you are missing some?
Should I just order all new clips, when ordering?
Richey
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM

Richey,
Yes there should be one clip each for all five bows. And the little bow by the dome light clips into the ones that run across the car (side to side).
I got used ones from parts cars. If you get new I would get all five. I have seen some really dry rotted. And putting the bows in old clips is/was RISKY-- it was tight with the cloth on the bows.
Put your headliner out in the sun for a few hours before starting, if you can.
After step 9. You should check to see if you need to go side to side again, and even front to back. Pull as tight as you need it. Then glue.
Keep us up to date.
You have done a great job on your car.

Last edited by hamm36; July 22nd, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Yes get all new clips!!!! I replaced my 72's headliner a few month back. I thought I would be slick and just buy the clips I was missing, and when I got into pulling down the bows, EVERY clip I was going to reuse shattered into pieces. Spend the extra couple of bucks and get new clips. Follow all the tips the other guys said. One other tip is when you are trimming the edges of the fabric loops the bows fit into, don't trim too far in from the sides, because if you do (like I kinda did) you won't have a nice graceful arch along the windlace, you will have a saggy mess!
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks Silverriff, I have ordered new clips and am headed to Wallmart to buy 4-5 boxes of metal clips to hold the edges... I like you point of not going in too far from edge with the cut... hard to get the sage out once it is there My goal was to have it finished by 1 Aug, but running way behind... but not rushing is the name of the game... cleared out the old package tray and speakers and found some rust on the back window brace... spent the weekend getting that all cleaned up and treated, primed and painted.... replacing a couple1972 9" speakers tha were falling apart for a nice set of Sony speakers. ( the old ones still sounded good but were brittle and going to pieces. As with everything else new, the center cone sticks out about 1/2", so I had to build a shim using the drill pattern and 1/2" plywood to go betwen the speaker and the rear deck. I plan to run a new set of speaker wires from the radio using the wiring harness pad that goes under the drivers seat, hopefully the electric current will not cause interference??
Now just waiting on parts now... clips and foam...
Cheers
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM

this may help......http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161372
the thread goes on for a long time. I used this process for the '64 cutlass, but left the windows in and the results were awesome. good luck!

Last edited by Keener; July 26th, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:18 AM

I just did a headliner and i have to say that contact cement i got from the local trim shop was really nice to work with. It set quick and was able to hold the headliner even under stretch.

Nice write up above. Take your time and be patient with it.