Rear seat bottom ?

Old February 7th, 2017, 04:40 AM

Rear seat bottom ?

Somewhere in my cars" past a gorilla fubared the seat frame where it fits into the floor hooks. Am I correct that with no upholstery or the upper section in place, the lower should just drop in and slide forward to grab the hooks? In other words, is the lower just held in the hooks by the tension against it from the upper back?
Old February 7th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Typically, to get the lower rear cushion in or out, you've got to push hard on the bottom of each side, toward the back of the car, and then it snaps back forward when it's in or out of the clips.

I don't know how it behaves without upholstery or the upper cushion in place.

It needs enough pressure, at a low enough point (on the frame, at the very bottom), that it's hard to do it with the front seat in place without hurting your back.

- Eric
Old February 7th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by m371961
Somewhere in my cars" past a gorilla fubared the seat frame where it fits into the floor hooks. Am I correct that with no upholstery or the upper section in place, the lower should just drop in and slide forward to grab the hooks? In other words, is the lower just held in the hooks by the tension against it from the upper back?
Yes. The rear edge of the lower cushion is held by the bottom of the seat back. You need to push rearward and down when installing the seat bottom so the seat frame wire hooks into the bracket. The spring force in the frame then pushes against the rear trunk panel and the seatback to force the frame wire forward against the hook.
Old February 7th, 2017, 08:38 AM

Thanks. Time to fire up the torch and reshape the seat frame parts that align with the floor hooks. One was bent forward so bad it would not reach the hooks, and both are bent too high to reach low enough, as the frame bottoms out on the floor with the frame hooks above the floor hooks. The previous owner even flattened two of the four floor hooks down on floor. Would have been interesting to watch and hear the guy when he removed and then was re-installing it. I may have heard some new curse words. (but I doubt it, I know most of the good ones)