Plastic Seat Backs

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:59 AM

Plastic Seat Backs

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I understand that PUI has the best fitting plastic seat backs... But I don't see where they make them for my '68 Olds 442 Convertible. Does anyone know if the '68 Chevelle seat backs (which they have) are the same as the 68 Olds 442 bucket seat backs? Or in other words, are they interchangeable without modifications?

Thanks,
pdsap
68 442 convertible
Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pdsap
Hi and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I understand that PUI has the best fitting plastic seat backs... But I don't see where they make them for my '68 Olds 442 Convertible. Does anyone know if the '68 Chevelle seat backs (which they have) are the same as the 68 Olds 442 bucket seat backs? Or in other words, are they interchangeable without modifications?

Thanks,
pdsap
68 442 convertible
Yes, Chevelle (and all A-body buckets) are the same. The only difference between the 1968 seats and the 69-72 seats is the location of the seatback release button. If the backs don't have the cutout, they can be used on either configuration.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:27 AM

Super! Thanks Joe. My '68 has the release button on the side. Have you ever used the PUI seat backs? If so, how was the fit?

Phil
Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, Chevelle (and all A-body buckets) are the same. The only difference between the 1968 seats and the 69-72 seats is the location of the seatback release button. If the backs don't have the cutout, they can be used on either configuration.
Joe --are the seat backs on a strato bench the same as on buckets? Im assuming that they are?
secondary question is : Is the strato bench used in a 70 Toro the same as strato bench used in cutlass, notwithstanding the mounting tracks? Reason im asking is that i need a pair of seatbcks for a 70 toro strato bench and was hoping that the 70 bucket ones would fit iit?
thanks
tweed
Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Joe --are the seat backs on a strato bench the same as on buckets? Im assuming that they are?
secondary question is : Is the strato bench used in a 70 Toro the same as strato bench used in cutlass, notwithstanding the mounting tracks? Reason im asking is that i need a pair of seatbcks for a 70 toro strato bench and was hoping that the 70 bucket ones would fit iit?
thanks
tweed
Tweed,

Yes, the seatbacks on the Strato bench are the same as those on the buckets. In fact, the A-body, B-body, and E-body all used the same bucket seat frames. I don't know if the Toro Strato bench bottom is the same, but the bucket seat backs will interchange. Any difference in width would have been taken up in the arm rest.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Tweed,

Yes, the seatbacks on the Strato bench are the same as those on the buckets. In fact, the A-body, B-body, and E-body all used the same bucket seat frames. I don't know if the Toro Strato bench bottom is the same, but the bucket seat backs will interchange. Any difference in width would have been taken up in the arm rest.
Thanks Joe. We dont need the hard bottom sides, but if we did, it would be nice to know if the bucket ones were same also.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Thanks Joe. We dont need the hard bottom sides, but if we did, it would be nice to know if the bucket ones were same also.
That I don't know, unfortunately. I suspect they are not, however.