68 Olds 442 convertible arm rest base chrome

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2016, 11:10 AM

68 Olds 442 convertible arm rest base chrome

Can someone tell me how the chrome strip on the arm rest basses is attached to the base? I want to replace my faded chrome strips with new repro ones and was wondering how they are attached to the arm rest bases? Screws from the back? Clips? Also, any recommendtions on good fitting replacement crome strips?

Thanks,
phil
Old December 26th, 2016, 07:09 AM
dualquadpete

Is this the long chrome trim in recess on front of base?? If so remove arm rest from door & bend the metal tabs [3] straight up & remove strip. Hoping 68 is the same as 69?? Just checked Fusick's catalogue 68/72 are the same $49.50US a pr.
Old December 26th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by pdsap
Can someone tell me how the chrome strip on the arm rest basses is attached to the base? I want to replace my faded chrome strips with new repro ones and was wondering how they are attached to the arm rest bases? Screws from the back? Clips? Also, any recommendtions on good fitting replacement crome strips?

Thanks,
phil
if you're talking about the chrome backer plates behind the base, they have tabs that attach them to the door panels. They cannot be removed without removing the inside door panel. The metal clips that retain them are next to impossible to get off without snipping them with side cut pliers.
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Wow... thank you so much. I was thinking screws from the front held them on. Boy... was I wrong. My door panels are almost perfect so I don't want to mess with them. I think I will live with the chrome backing plates the way they are.

Thanks again,
phil
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:11 AM
dualquadpete

3 screws hold the arm rest on to door,once removed the arm rest comes off, then you can get to the tabs on back of arm rest, if it's the chrome strip you need to replace, no damage to trim panel,if it's the big plate then you may have to remove panel to get at clips??? Pete
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:45 AM

Thanks Pete. My chrome strip is good. The larger chrome back plate is what I would like to improve. But like I said earlier, my door panels are excellent and original. Don't want to risk making problems by removing them.

Phil
Old January 1st, 2017, 07:45 AM
dualquadpete

I just replaced those on my 69, mine were loose & some tabs were broken off, no big deal, once removed & replaced, the arm rest screws hold it to trim panel so you don't need the clips on back, tabs just go into holes on panel, easy replace, you can just "snap the oblong pins off old one once panel removed,Pete
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:47 AM
Randy C.

Another way I've used to replace those irritable metal clips is to put a small notch on each side of each tab and then put a paper clip over the tab horizontally and then turn the paper clip to vertical. It holds the shiny backing plate to the door panel and they are easy to remove if necessary.

The backing plates are now re-popped. See www.fusick.com for the '68 chrome plastic armrest base, the old part number was AB680, and the old cost was $85/pair plus shipping.

Randy C.