Convertible rear seat

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2016, 04:28 PM

Convertible rear seat

I took apart my rear seat which was in very poor shape and did not take pictures. I'm sure it would not have helped anyhow because it was all very mangled and rotting. I've rebuilt the springs and painted them and now have my PUI seat foam and vinyl seat covers ready to go on. But now I am stuck

The videos online only show the BOTTOM. I got that

covered but can't find how to do the upper rear seat back. Which direction does the foam go?

After that, where does the foam attach? There are hook loops facing forward...

And eyelets on the back

On the bottom I'm
It sure where to affix the vinyl cover. To the thinner sprigs? Or the larger thicker frame?

Lastly, I have the slider rail on order for the convertible boot, I'm guessing that attaches somewhere? Do I need to leave room somewhere for tgt?
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM

The boot attachment piece screws to the metal behind the seat back, not to the seat back itself.
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The boot attachment piece screws to the metal behind the seat back, not to the seat back itself.

oh great. thanks. Thats one question taken care of... now to find out which direction the curve of the foam goes and where the cover attaches.
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:20 AM

anyone able to take a picture of the backside of the rear seat looking forward? at the top? I want to see how the top backside of the vinyl cover attaches to the back seat upper.
Old November 8th, 2016, 04:54 PM

Did I miss year and model? My 71 supreme seat is out and accessible .
Old November 8th, 2016, 05:30 PM

70 Cutlass 442 Convertible
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:19 PM

Pm me an email address and I can send tomorrow if you like.
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:41 PM
Ben

Sorry in advance, but this is gonna be long.

A couple things to note... (ok a lot of notes)

#1 At the top of the upper cushion, there was originally a burlap strip about 3.5" wide that pulled the top of the spring assembly down to the frame. This sets the compression height of the seat... You need to use something to pull that down evenly.

When i do it, i use zip ties- set evenly to keep the height between 3.5" and 4"

After you put the zip ties on, you should drape burlap over it- it acts as kind of a shelf to keep the padding up against the cover at the top, and from just pushing down behind the spring assembly with no support.

The foam sheet that you have (this was originally a thick cotton pad, not foam) the top is the part that folds inward. It should lay over the "shelf" at the top and NOT wrap over the top edge of the frame.

The sides and the bottom edges should all wrap over the edges of the spring assembly.

The foam is usually installed by glueing strips of cloth onto them, then the cloth is hogringed around the edges of the frame to hold it in place. You have to do something

Then the cover itself is installed over the foam(or cotton) and it compresses it.

The upper covers are tricky to install because there is not much vinyl on the sides to stretch.

The way i do it is to stick the bottom corners of the frame into their spring pockets first... put a couple hog rings in the bottom sleeve holding it to the frame. This should center the cover (at least the bottom)

Then fold the top corners inside out, and start stretching the vinyl panel up to the corners. You will need to stretch the heck out of it to get it over those top corners, it will almost seem like its too small, but thats the say it is.

Stand the cushion upright (a 2nd person to hold it helps here) Use your hand to "push" the vinyl up from the bottom front, it should create a wave/wrinkle, push it all the way to the top, pull it tight and repeat... this stretches the vinyl without putting stress right on the corner vinyl itself.

Pull the first corner over the edge and secure it with a hogring (or a zip tie helps too)

Now do the same for the other corner.

All that said (sorry this is out of order) BEFORE you put the cover on... Drape a sheet of thin plastic (like a cheap/thin painters drop cloth)sheet over the foam/cotton. This will allow the cover to SLIDE as you stretch it. Without this you will have a heck of a time getting the cover into place.

This plastic is left in place, and you will never know its there once the cover is one.

Another tip... When doing the top- USE ZIP TIES TO GRADUALLY PULL THE COVER UP INTO PLACE....

Use zip ties in combination with working the vinyl up on the front side to slowly pull it up into place... then once the top sleeve is close enough to hogring, hogring it and cut the zip ties out.

I use really long zip ties for this work and its a million times easier to gradually pull the all the anchor positions along the top sleeve into place than trying to pull each one 100% of the way to the frame.

ANyway... once the top is anchored, return to the bottom and hogring that sleeve to its anchor position around the bottom... again, if you have to stretch it, use zip ties to gradually pull it into place while stretching the vinyl itself... Don't just pull the sleeve. Work the vinyl on the front of the cover the direction you need it to go to stretch it.

Once the bottom is done, now do the sides, and bada boom you are done.

If you have any wrinkles in the front when you are done, you can work them out the same way you streatched the cover... push the vinyl away, essentially push the wrinkle away- and toward an edge. continue until you have worked them out.

sorry its so long winded. Hope it helps though!
Old November 11th, 2016, 04:53 PM

This is great!

I think I can follow now. Just one question, the Muslim I just bought, that I glue to the foam, does that attach to the hooks at top of the seAt frame facing forward? The ones my finger is pointed to? And the vinyl goes over the whole top of frame and attaches around the back to the slotted holes on bottom edge?

Then on the bottom does the vinyl curl around all the way to the thick main frame or the very thin springs that are furthest down and front facing side of seat fame?
Old November 14th, 2016, 05:32 PM

Thanks to your help I think i got it!
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:55 AM

very nice
Old November 15th, 2016, 08:04 AM

The layer of plastic really made a difference
Old November 15th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Ben

Looks great! Nice work!

I really dig the pearl white on those covers.
I had a 70 cutlass S a long time back that had the same color.
Old November 15th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Just a thought

Rambow,
Your "long winded" post is the reason I just love CO. Alway's someone who has done it and has the patience to share...just awesome!
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:27 AM

was browsing Craigslist today and found this guy selling a rear seat for an A body! Mine turned out just like this.

I thought I would upload it here so anyone else that needs to SEE what it is supposed to look like has a reference.