Stupid question!

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2016, 05:44 PM

Stupid question!

I'm to the point of installing my new carpet in my 69 Cutlass. It is a bucket seat with an automatic center console. Stupid question is: does the shifter assembly bolt down to the transmission hump over the carpet or is the carpet cut to go around the shifter? Seems like it should be a no brainer but I don't have the old carpet and can't find the answer! Just to be clear I'm not talking about the console itself, I'm talking about the shifter assembly. Thanks!
John
Old September 18th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Randy C.

I just changed out the carpet in my '69, equipped just like yours. The original carpet was cut to fit around the shifter assembly. Be careful when you cut, though. It's real easy to cut away what you think you don't need, only to find out when you re-install the console that you needed extra carpet to hide the floor up to the console! I did mine by first just cutting a slit to go around the shifter assembly, and then slowly cutting away excess until I reached a point where I knew the carpet would tuck up under the console.

Randy C.
Old September 18th, 2016, 05:58 PM

Thank you Randy! I was 99% sure that's the way it was supposed to be. I've seen dozens of Chevelle, Monte Carlos and Camaros over the years but was just having a "senior moment" and couldn't recall. You've done your good deed for the day! Thanks again.
John
Old September 18th, 2016, 08:21 PM

Also be cautious of trimming the outboard edges (ends by the kick panels) too short. I thought I had left enough and ended up 1" too short on each side, so I had to cut a couple strips and lay them down beneath the carpet to hide the gap. I had read some info years ago saying to lay the carpet without trimming the outboard ends and let it "set" for a week or so before the final trimming to fit.
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:33 PM

Good advice Fun71! Thanks!