Rallye Seat covers from Legendary Auto Int

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Rallye Seat covers from Legendary Auto Int

So I have Strato bucket seats in both my 71 442 Conv & my 70 Supreme. Both cars will eventually need new seat covers. I came across the website for Legendary Auto Interiors and was blown away by their Rallye seat covers. Supposedly these have been out for a few years but I've never seen them on any cars yet. I will never change from the Strato bucket seats in any of my cars because I love the old school classic look but let's face it for hard driving/cornering they don't do such a great job holding you in place.

This new design they have adds additional foam on the sides for both your butt and back and then they keep the stock pattern on the material but it's longer to fit around the bigger foam. Not cheap but I really like this idea. Will eventually upgrade to this for both cars when I'm ready to do the interior.

Has anyone ever seen these or put them on their car? Here's a pic I took of the catalog - this would be for my 71 442. Note the stock setup/pattern above and the newer version below:

IMG_1188_zps4qczym1l.jpg

and here's link for the catalog - looks like they offer them from 66 -72

https://www.legendaryautointeriors.c...ileCatalog.pdf

Last edited by 71 OLDS; August 30th, 2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 71 OLDS
for hard driving/cornering they don't do such a great job holding you in place.
I grew up driving with these seats and never had any issues staying in them, even with all the crazy driving I did in high school. I can't really remember ever thinking I needed different/better seats.
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've seen these at Carlisle and to be honest, they look strange in person.
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I grew up driving with these seats and never had any issues staying in them, even with all the crazy driving I did in high school. I can't really remember ever thinking I needed different/better seats.
Really? Surprised to hear that. I had a 72 Cutlass in high school (where the obsession began!) with a bench seat and not sure if I drive harder/crazier now at 47 or back then!! I slid around then on the bench seat and it's just slightly better now with the buckets in my 442.

The 442 has the b-body spindles, 18" wheels, big sway bars, stiffer springs, and the quick ratio steering box so all that has been improved and the seats are still the same. I get sideways a lot and really take corners hard and often so I could use more support. My wife has a Nissan 350 Z and taking corners hard with the seats in it keeps me locked down. I can take the corners just as fast in the 442 now and they are both convertibles with bucket seats. The cornering ability feels the same even with the extra weight of the 442 but the seats in the 350Z are night and day difference.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've seen these at Carlisle and to be honest, they look strange in person.
Thanks for that feedback. That might be enough to kill it for me. I hate the look of aftermarket seats especially in a convertible. If these don't still look like Strato bucket seats in person then I don't care how much better they support me. I guess I'll have to see them in a real car (not just a pic) before I drop the additional $$$ for them. What was it that looked strange about them?

Last edited by 71 OLDS; August 30th, 2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:42 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

I seen these in the catalog a few months ago. I love the concept, OEM pattern with updated style. I've seen these kits for cheaper online as well. Do a google search, I can't remember the name of the company that was selling them. Keep in mind this is a complete upostery kit. Not just the covers. I would like to see them in person though if what Joe says is true. But like I said, I like the concept.
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:33 AM
NOVICE car nut

The 442 / Rallye ones look a bit big and bulky compared to the top photo . I want to get some buckets down the road and get rid of the bench seat .
Old September 1st, 2016, 07:39 AM

I will do some searching for pics in real cars and post if I find any. If anyone comes across a car w/these seats in it and can or has taken pics, please post them up. Thanks!
Old September 1st, 2016, 07:57 AM

Here's a 69 Chevelle video:

and a pic I found online - not in a car but several seats in one pic:

I like the way these look. Can't see why they would look strange but will keep looking for "in car" pics.
Old September 10th, 2016, 03:56 PM

They are a bxxxh to put on, use dry clean bags

Old September 10th, 2016, 11:28 PM

Wow very nice. Thanks for the pics. I think they look great!
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Ben

I have done several of these. They look real nice in person, and at a glance (once in the car) hard to tell apart from stock seats. (The TMI ones the bolsters are much more pronounced)...

The problem with these (and the similar TMI Sport seats) is the foam is simply too stiff. The OEM seat buns were very soft. These are like a brick, so once installed your head will be in the headliner and your legs will be up against the bottom of the steering wheel.

Because of that problem, and the resulting identical complaint from each customer, I cannot recommend them.

Instead I vote for the standard style, and use the American Cushion industry buns.

I really do like the looks of rallye seats, just they would require the installer to cut out the center panels of the buns and replace them with softer foam. Not impossible- but its hard to convince a customer who just spent $500 on covers and buns to let you hack them up...
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I have done several of these. They look real nice in person, and at a glance (once in the car) hard to tell apart from stock seats. (The TMI ones the bolsters are much more pronounced)...

The problem with these (and the similar TMI Sport seats) is the foam is simply too stiff. The OEM seat buns were very soft. These are like a brick, so once installed your head will be in the headliner and your legs will be up against the bottom of the steering wheel.

Because of that problem, and the resulting identical complaint from each customer, I cannot recommend them.

Instead I vote for the standard style, and use the American Cushion industry buns.

I really do like the looks of rallye seats, just they would require the installer to cut out the center panels of the buns and replace them with softer foam. Not impossible- but its hard to convince a customer who just spent $500 on covers and buns to let you hack them up...
Interesting feedback - are you saying the Legendary Rallye seat kits are hard and make you sit too high or was that the TMI? Legendary states in all their ads that the foam has been adjusted to make sure you end up the same height in the seat as stock.

Dave26 - could you confirm if your amazing looking white ones you provided pics for caused you to sit too high up because the foam is too hard?

Thanks!
-Joe
Old September 12th, 2016, 02:05 PM

I don't notice any height change, they do feel a Little narrow......every one in the passenger seat really likes the feel. Mine are legendary.....they don't seem hard or stiff.....initially the bolsters were real tight.....not now......I put them in about two years ago.....f.y.i. As for height, my original foam was won to practically nothing.
Old September 12th, 2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dave26
I don't notice any height change, they do feel a Little narrow......every one in the passenger seat really likes the feel. Mine are legendary.....they don't seem hard or stiff.....initially the bolsters were real tight.....not now......I put them in about two years ago.....f.y.i. As for height, my original foam was won to practically nothing.
Thanks again I"m sold on these thanks to your pics and review. Greatly appreciate it and can't wait to get them installed. Will probably be a 2017 project when I do some other interior upgrades in the 71 442 conv.

-Joe
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by 71 OLDS
Interesting feedback - are you saying the Legendary Rallye seat kits are hard and make you sit too high or was that the TMI?
Both the TMI "Sport" and the Legendary "rallye" which are both large bolster styles have stiff foam (when compared to OEM or the good ACI buns).

The stiff foam results in you sitting high, and being forced forward into the steering wheel.

If you are not super tall, then it may not be an issue. if you are 6' or taller, you will find yourself looking at track extenders or into sectioning and cutting your tracks to make them lower.

this is my experience, and what has been relayed to me by my customers who i restored the seats for... of course as with anything, mileage and opinions may vary.