Installing Center Console and Buckets in 70 Cutlass

Old June 9th, 2016, 05:47 AM

Installing Center Console and Buckets in 70 Cutlass

I am making the swap from on column shifter to center console shifter. Couple of questions:

1. How do I locate the two brackets that get tack welded to the floor. Concerned with making sure the location is spot on. At a later date will be changing out automatic for 4 speed and it seems to me the console location needs to be correct.

2. How do I locate the bucket seat brackets that need to be added to change out the front bench for buckets?

3. There seem to be two types of brackets available for the bucket seat swap. Seems one is more original than the other. I am not concerned with originality in this build but good functionality. Will the non OEM bucket seat brackets work just as well?

Thank you.
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:29 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I think there are dimples in the trans tunnel to locate the 2 brackets. Cant comment on the difference between the two styles. Where are you purchasing them? Call and ask...To properly locate the seats I set the new bucket seats on the floor and locate them to the out board mounting holes. Loosely bolt in the outboard rails. Then slide the aftermarket brackets into location on the inboard side. Level and square the seat. Mark the inboard brackets position on the floor pan then weld them in. Be sure both adjuster rails on each seat are adjusted full forward or back so you get full travel when adjusting the seats after installation. The inboard seat rail doesn't lock like the outboard does. In other words square up the inboard to the outboard location. The outboard location is the same for buckets or bench. You will likely need the bucket seat lap belt set up too. Or min remove the middle belt (if equipped) and reinstall the outers using the shorter OEM style shallow head bolt for bucket seat belts. Remove any undercoating on the threads of those bolts before trying to remove them. Those bolts and the backer plates are specific and are considered a safety item so dont alter them On a 68-69 you also need to change speedo heads and shift collar on the column. Not sure what applies here for a 70+

edit...additional info. Its also nice to have the console affixed as it allows you to see the gap between the seats and console which is another way to insure the seats are square and the job looks professional.

Last edited by droldsmorland; June 9th, 2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:36 AM

On a 70 auto console car, the NSS is mounted on the shifter.

The back up light switch is mounted on top of the steering column.
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by My442
On a 70 auto console car, the NSS is mounted on the shifter.

The back up light switch is mounted on top of the steering column.
This is incorrect. it is a combination switch:

https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/C240673/

BUT.....since he's swapping he can use the one that is in the car already as that is what they did in 71 and 72 with the same shifter setup. The switch is mounted at the base of the column and will be operated by the linkage.

Last edited by svnt442; June 9th, 2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old June 9th, 2016, 12:28 PM

check out post https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...st-addict.html look at #17 post, there is a pic of floor
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:19 PM

My mistake on the back up light switch....I was thinking 4 speed......
Old June 9th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by My442
My mistake on the back up light switch....I was thinking 4 speed......
That I'm unsure about, but I seem to remember something about the back drive being hooked up to the column to activate it on a 4sp?

But I digress....unrelated.
Old June 9th, 2016, 04:36 PM

The back drive does move the column collar, and actuates the back up light switch.
Old June 9th, 2016, 04:56 PM

David, I hope you take lots of photos and comment back here with what you learn through the conversion. I have the same thing in mind for my '71 within the next couple years.
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:07 AM

I owe this "Classic Olds" Board lots of pics. My problems is when I tear into it, I just want to get it done. At my age I am even considering paying a local mechanic to do a lot of these mods. The prospect of crawling under the dash like I did at 17 is not as appealing as it once was. I still remember installing that new cassette deck in the dash of my 68 442 back in the day--bring it to Best Buy now. LOL. I will try to get pics. Parts collection is just about done. Thanks for your help all.
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:49 AM

MY 70 s down to body shell, it is bucket seat , center console car, I can get pics or Measurements of brackets if needed.