Door panels cutlass1966

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:05 AM

Door panels cutlass1966

Are about to order door panels for my 1966 cutlass coupe. I only have the rear panels in my car and they are curved up over the metal frame completely covering that. Are the front panels in this way to? Was looking at some pictures on the internet and somtimes it looks like they also curves up over the metal and somtimes its just look like they ends before the curve? Glad if someone could post a picture of how it is suposed to look. The plan is to order from OPG if they are correct. Tried to email OPG but no answer...
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds77
Are about to order door panels for my 1966 cutlass coupe. I only have the rear panels in my car and they are curved up over the metal frame completely covering that. Are the front panels in this way to? Was looking at some pictures on the internet and somtimes it looks like they also curves up over the metal and somtimes its just look like they ends before the curve? Glad if someone could post a picture of how it is suposed to look. The plan is to order from OPG if they are correct. Tried to email OPG but no answer...
It depends on which model you have. Lower-end cars like the F-85s got the shorter panels. Higher end cars like the Cutlass got the full panel that wrapped over the curve.
Old May 31st, 2016, 06:05 AM

Also the higher end trimmed cars, like these;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Cutlass...7_EXag&vxp=mtr
Come 2 different ways. The ones in this ad are described as unassembled. That means the metal piece on the top of the panel is not there. You are expected to take the metal pieces from your old ones and install them on your new ones.
If you expect to get panels with the metal piece attached, and all the work done so the panel is ready to install on your car you need to locate "Assembled" door panels. I didn't see any on ebay. Maybe try Legendary.
http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/

And, if you do find assembled door panels they may not come with the 3 pieces of trim and an emblem found on these door panels, look at the pictures in my album to see what I mean.

Last edited by 66luvr; May 31st, 2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:46 AM

You might give SMS fabrics a call, they carry a huge supply of factors type door panels.I believe they are in Canby,Oregon . Larry
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
You might give SMS fabrics a call, they carry a huge supply of factors type door panels.I believe they are in Canby,Oregon . Larry
"Huge supply" is a bit misleading. SMS can recreate just about any factory-style door panel, including heat-sealed seams. They don't really stock anything - they are all made-to-order. Don't expect them to be quick or inexpensive, but the quality will be fantastic.