Extending window crank splines

Old March 24th, 2016, 09:49 PM

Extending window crank splines

You don't have to look very far to see people complaining about the window crank splines stripping out...and all of the comparisons of which is the best replacement.

71 Cutlass Conv...both rear windows...I installed a Legendary interior and it looks fantastic - Thanks Patton!!!
The material is just a little thicker padding then the stock material. Because the backing is the sheet-metal behind the rear panels, there isn't much give when you push on the window cranks. In fact, they are just a little short of being able to go on.

Has anyone found a solution to extending their spline shafts out an extra 1/4 inch or so?

I found these on ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOW-CRANK...-/131706690086

-Lewis
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by lewiswynn2
You don't have to look very far to see people complaining about the window crank splines stripping out...and all of the comparisons of which is the best replacement.

71 Cutlass Conv...both rear windows...I installed a Legendary interior and it looks fantastic - Thanks Patton!!!
The material is just a little thicker padding then the stock material. Because the backing is the sheet-metal behind the rear panels, there isn't much give when you push on the window cranks. In fact, they are just a little short of being able to go on.

Has anyone found a solution to extending their spline shafts out an extra 1/4 inch or so?

I found these on ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOW-CRANK...-/131706690086

-Lewis
a bit pricey, but an excellent solution for an extra 5/8"
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:44 AM

There's a Trump joke in there somewhere...

I'm starting to have the same problem on my driver's window. Instead of extending the spline, does anyone know of a replacement crank that would have a deeper "reach" on the backside that would catch more of original spline?
Old March 25th, 2016, 01:58 PM
72 Olds CS

all the times ive read of this its the repro window cranks at fault, if thats the case theres plenty of nice originals out there maybe get some of those from oldspackrat or one of the other sellers on here.
Old March 25th, 2016, 06:38 PM

Repo vs original

I still have my original window cranks.
I've also bought 4-5 repos from different mfgs.
Taking my calipers and noting all of the measurements you can measure, all of them are pretty close. I've not seen one yet that will give you an extra 1/4" of spline engagement...not even 1/16".
I bought a set of billit cranks just to see how they fit, and they were nice and expensive, but still not enough to extend the reach of the spline.

I'll post an update one I get these extensions in and see how they work1
-Lewis
Old March 31st, 2016, 09:37 AM

Hello- are these original window cranks?

I ask because mine fit like crap. Those black erhm.. round things? are loose as crap, and the crank itself fits to splines like crap and "swings" there like nut. I have white spacer behind the crank between crank and door-skin, i assume it belongs there?

I didnt saw any stamps behind the cranks about maker, that made me assume these might not be originals..?
Old March 31st, 2016, 11:06 AM

I have had the same problem, but the ones from Legendary seem a little better than others I have used.
Old April 1st, 2016, 07:33 AM

Inline,
The white spacer is there to make sure the crank doesn't cut the door panel.

The loose black **** means that crank is worn out. The **** is just held on with a rivet, and they wear and come loose.

The wobbling could be the engagement grooves on the crank wearing out, OR it could be the window mechanism wearing out. I would bet that it's the crank at this point.

There are several cheap sources of window cranks in the U.S. that may be worth trying as an experiment. You can even choose clear, black or yellow *****!