Unassembled door panel dimension

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2016, 02:29 PM

Unassembled door panel dimension

I bought some unassembled door panels from PUI for my 69 Cutlass convertible. I took the metal tops off of my old panels and cleaned them up. Now I am ready to install them on the new panels. I measured about a 3/4 inch overlap where the metal tops attach to the door panel backing. But, it doesn't line up with the holes on the PUI panels. I contacted PUI to get a dimension but they told me they didn't have one for the original metal tops. I want to make sure I get them located at the correct dimension. Does anyone have the overlap dimension for installing the metal tops to the panels so I don't have to guess and rick a mistake? (see attached picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1667.JPG (116.3 KB, 27 views)
Old February 19th, 2016, 04:07 AM

In my experience with unassembled door panels, the holes in the repro's very seldom line up. Did you save the old original panels? Lay the old ones on top of the new ones and line everything up. Clamp them together so they can't move, since the old ones are usually bent, warped, or ripped. Then transfer EXACT overlay dimensions from the old to the new. While you're at it, check the holes around the sides of the new panel (the ones for attaching the assembled panel to the door itself). Also the holes for the arm rests. They usually will not match either, so you have to "adjust" those holes to match them to the old panel. Use 1/4" (length) pop rivets with washers on the back side to attach the metal rail to the new panel, from the front finished side in. I've been doing this for many years on customer interiors and have fabbed my own door panels from panelboard sheeting hundreds of times.

I HATE repro door panels, they never fit correctly....
Old February 19th, 2016, 09:18 AM

Unassembled door panel

Thanks augy. That's pretty much how I am approaching this. I do have the old panels although they are not the original panels, and I have compared them (and noticed a few differences). Since these panels have been replaced before I was trying to find a way to verify their correctness. I too hate the repro panels, as I wen thru this with my Camaro. Your advice is good, and I will take that approach.

Thanks
Old February 20th, 2016, 06:05 AM

As long as your old panels fit the door properly, you should be able to use them for transferring measurements to your new panels. That's tricky since they have already been replaced once, or more.