window cranks

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:43 PM

window cranks

Hey all, almost done installing the interior back into the car.

I went with reproduced lower door panels. They fit a bit tight, enough to work and be ok. But quite evident that they are a one fit repro for many models. A little trimming and they will do.

One problem I am having is that the window crank post is recessed behind the panel a bit more due to the panel fitment. Stock replacement window cranks won't fit in event with aggressive encouragement.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a window crank that will work with these tight panels? Without having to cut a larger hole and then have the window crank grind against the oversized hole?
Old January 25th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Has anyone had to extend the window crank shaft in order for newer lower door panels to work? After work I am going to see how much work it would be to remove the window crank shaft from the mechanism and have a local shop extend the shalf a .25 to .50 inch...
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:20 PM

I don't know where you bought your stock window cranks. It's well known there are problems with the 1st generation cheap ones. The slot for the clip is not cut deep enough on them to attach. There are new improved ones available. If you paid less than $10.00 each, you probably got the bad ones. No way should you need an extender.
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:31 PM

Try calling Ames Performance Engineering...a Pontiac repro parts supplier. They show a "better" repro window crank version ("J133A - '69-77 Window Regulator Handle, clear **** - $15 ea.) in their catalog and I believe still sell a cheaper priced version.

I talked with them and they checked their customer feedback/return history for the better window cranks and claimed they haven't had "any negative history,etc" (of course, that is what most vendors say about their parts so take it with a grain of salt). I t

QUESTION: Do you have the grey plastic "washers" that are supposed to go between the door panel and the window crank?These serve as a sort of anti-rub or anti-scuff washer/bearing between the panel face and the crank.
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:44 PM

MROLDS69 looked at the window cranks I bought, you are right I got the cheapos, thing from parts place... Luckily had ordered a 3rd one from OPGI and it snapped on.
I have some springs that are supposed to go behind the handle, however the washer I bought only snap in behind the crank where it goes over the splines...

I had bought the clear plastic washer for behind the crank, didn't see the grey one 70Post. Will check with that Ames Performance Engineering. They are only 45 minutes from me. Will check out their cranks, plastic washer.. I need something that either pushes the panel back a little or the handle angled out a bit more to not catch the panel at the bottom turn..
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:25 PM

If you are in Iowa, you can't be 45 mins from Ames, they are in NH. They don't do any retail over the counter, I live about 12 miles from them. Ok...right...2 grades of handles, and it's not just the handles, the repro clips suck, too. There are different handles that look the same, but they are offset more from the panel. One other thought...there were different latch/shaft assemblies, too. Olds had the plastic chrome plate behind the armrest, some GM models didn't, so they had a shorter shaft. Some one could have changed that one latch. When these cars are this old, you never know what people did to them, or which parts are original.
Old January 28th, 2016, 02:59 PM

Just noticed their location when looked for their contact #. Spoke to them and their splines also do not go from the lip inwards...
Think i bought the one correct handle from OPGI...