Bought a 75 hurst olds.

Old March 1st, 2015, 01:06 PM

Bought a 75 hurst olds.

I haven't posted in a while but I just bought a 75 hurst and wanted to share. I just got the car to my garage yesterday. I know this is a smog year engine with the j head but I intend to keep it that way. The engine and transmission were out of the car but are numbers matching. I dropped the pan and the front cover on the engine and the inside of the engine is clean and it turns freely with compression. I intend to put it back in place to see if it will run. I looked the body over today more closely and it has very little rust except for the floor pans that will need to be replaced. I assume the floor pans rusted because the T-tops were leakers when new. The trunk is very clean with only minor surface rust. The jack is still there with a spare and a trunk mat. I am not sure if the trunk mat was oe and if the spare was regular size or smaller, does anyone have answers to this?? The interior looks good but am not sure if the seats are oe and if the color scheme is oe. I was told the front seats were swivel but these do not. I have not found any build sheet, any location info would be appreciated. I also need a driveshaft for a short turbo 400.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
75 HURST 001.jpg (53.3 KB, 107 views)
75 HURST 002.jpg (72.4 KB, 96 views)
75 HURST 003.jpg (91.4 KB, 94 views)
75 HURST 004.jpg (48.8 KB, 117 views)
75 HURST 005.jpg (38.6 KB, 120 views)
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM

75 hurst

More pictures
Attached Images
75 HURST 006.jpg (56.8 KB, 115 views)
75 HURST 007.jpg (37.6 KB, 94 views)
75 HURST 008.jpg (38.6 KB, 104 views)
75 HURST 009.jpg (37.6 KB, 95 views)
75 HURST 010.jpg (52.3 KB, 96 views)
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads with pictures. Congrats, looks like a fun project.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:09 AM
1983 Hurst/Olds #2330

Good score!!
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:54 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by ScottM47448
I haven't posted in a while but I just bought a 75 hurst and wanted to share. I just got the car to my garage yesterday. I know this is a smog year engine with the j head but I intend to keep it that way. The engine and transmission were out of the car but are numbers matching. I dropped the pan and the front cover on the engine and the inside of the engine is clean and it turns freely with compression. I intend to put it back in place to see if it will run. I looked the body over today more closely and it has very little rust except for the floor pans that will need to be replaced. I assume the floor pans rusted because the T-tops were leakers when new. The trunk is very clean with only minor surface rust. The jack is still there with a spare and a trunk mat. I am not sure if the trunk mat was oe and if the spare was regular size or smaller, does anyone have answers to this?? The interior looks good but am not sure if the seats are oe and if the color scheme is oe. I was told the front seats were swivel but these do not. I have not found any build sheet, any location info would be appreciated. I also need a driveshaft for a short turbo 400.
Welcome...nice score! Even though its as you put it a smog era car its still beautiful IMO, especially with the T-Tops(Hurst Hatches). Uncle had a neighbor across the street who would buy a new one each year they were available until at least 75, not sure after that. I do recall the 68, 69, 72, a black 73 & white/white/white 75. For 75 a total of 2535 units were produced.
Not sure on your questions. Id recommend contacting the Hurst Olds Club. hurstolds.com to answer specific Qs. I cant ever recall seeing a red gut in one?

Consider not keeping the OE trunk mat down for long periods of time. Maybe only to show it. The rubber OEMs(or did they get felt?) keep the moisture trapped between it and the pan. There are breathable repros out there that function and breath that you could install for daily use. Again 75 might have had felt as OEM but I think the felt backer prevented breathing just like the rubber did. Check with Year One or Fusick to see what they sell.
Year One & Fusick are two of the better repro vendors for Olds. Not sure about the spare. I thought they had a full sized spare verses the space saver donut? I think the 79s had the donuts? I too thought they all had swivel seats? Who knows whats been changed through out the last 40 years.
The build sheet if it exists could be anywhere. Seat springs, seat backs, above the glove box under the carpet in the door panel etc...Just have to look.
As for the drive shaft find a Fleetpride or a drive shaft shop locally and have one built for the car. Look at the shafts Dennys builds too. They offer aluminum as well. His site also shows the proper way to measure for a new shaft.

Last edited by droldsmorland; March 2nd, 2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Scott,

- Looks like it's a survivor car from the pics. Is there a hole in the hood where the HO hood ornament would go?
- Interior wise did this car spend a lot of time stored in the sun? Dash looks a bit cooked on top? Hopefully it can be reconditioned or replaced if needed. Can you post a picture of the cars Cowl tag? It will show the Trim it came from the factory with.
- The upholstery looks original to me.
- Swivel buckets were an option - they didn't come with the car unless it was ordered.
- Spare tire for the car was a full size and would be on a SSIII if the car originally came with those rims.
- I believe the roof is what is dubbed 'Hurst Hatches', but the trim that goes across the top looks wrong for an HO

The trunk looks like it's in great shape and the undercarriage doesn't appear to be more than really surface rust. Did you pull the carpet to look at the floor pans or just have the car up on a hoist? The rust around the rear window is a bit of a concern as I don't believe anyone makes repro parts to repair that. Likely it will have to be fabricated so I hope your skills are up to it, or you know someone.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I will get pictures of the cowl tag tomorrow evening and post it. The floor pans will need to be patched or replaced, I understand the t-tops leaked on these when new and rotted the floor pans. The story I get is the car had set in a barn for 20 years or so in Kansas before the guy I bought it off of bought it, he had it for about 6months in his garage before I bought it. I found an old partial registration form in the trunk from Topeka Kansas so the story may be true.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:18 PM

Oh, it does have the hole for the hood ornament but it is missing.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You may be interested in this information (cut / paste from OLDS FAQ -- Hurst Olds --1975)

Authentication:
The 75 H/O was available in the Cutlass Supreme Coupe in either white or black with gold accent striping. Interior colors are either white or black.

The Hurst Conversion Package Included the following as standard:

Hurst Hatch Roof, Smoked Glass Panels with Storage Cases
Hurst/Gold Body Accents
Padded Half Top (black or white)
Blocked Off Quarter Windows
Recessed Hurst/Olds Exterior Emblems (3 total)
Hurst/Olds Interior Emblems (2 total)
Custom Hood Ornament with "Oldsmobile" Script
W-25 or W-30 Fender Identification
The W-25 or W-30 option included the following as standard:

Cutlass Salon Grille
442 Louvered Hood
Sports Styled Outside Mirrors
Super Stock III Wheels in Hurst Gold (DuPont paint #43655L)
Swivel Bucket Seats with Reversible Cushions
Console with Hurst Dual Gate Shifter
Power Brakes with Front Discs
Hurst Conversion Package-optional items:

Hurst Splash Guards
Wheel Locks
Hurst/Olds Tachometer with Memory System
Hurst/Olds Identification License Plate
Motor Minder Economy Guage
Auto Alarm System
Hurst/Hatch T-Tops introduced and installed in all cars. This was the last year for the 455. Exterior colors were Cameo White or Ebony Black.

A total of 2535 were built, as follows:

Engine Units
455 1193
350 1324
Color Units
White 1293
Black 1242
Engine Specs:
Rocket 455 or Rocket 350. W-30 option was the Rocket 455 (and TH-400 trans), while the W-25 option was the Rocket 350 (and the TH-350 trans). While the cars with the 455 carried the familiar "W-30" decals, those with the 350 had a "W-25" decal.

Transmissions:
TH-400 (M-40) with the 455 engine (drivetrain with the W-30 option). TH-350 (M-38) with the 350 engine (drivetrain with the W-25 option).

Rear Axles:
2.56:1 was standard. Optional were the 2.73:1, or 3.08:1 differentials. Anti-spin was optional in all ratios, and all ratios were available with the W-25 and W-30 option.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:38 PM

Thanks for that info. The carpet in red in not original but the center console is red and appears to be oe. The hurst shifter is still there and it appears to have the mounting holes for the tach in the correct place but the tach is gone.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The wheels and paint are cosmetic issues. Do you know if it has the proper grilles? I was also curious if that roof trim was just showing thin from being an angled camera shot? I don't know what's up with the interior badging and holes in the sail panels though.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:45 PM

I will try to get better pictures tomorrow evening and post them.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:01 PM

75 hurst olds

More pictures. Can anyone decode the body tag??
Attached Images
75 HURST OLDS 001.jpg (24.9 KB, 68 views)
75 HURST OLDS 002.jpg (21.0 KB, 65 views)
75 HURST OLDS 004.jpg (64.3 KB, 122 views)
75 HURST OLDS 005.jpg (73.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by ScottM47448; March 3rd, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old March 4th, 2015, 06:08 PM

Congrats Scott & Welcome to the site, what you have per the cowl tag is as follows:
75-----1975
3AJ57------Cutlass Supreme Coupe
LAN-----Born in Lansing
419430-----body sequence unit number
TR 110-----Trim code: White Vinyl swivel bucket seats w/ reversible cushions
Paint 11 11U-----White Lower body Color/White upper body color
04C-----Chassis built 3rd week of March 1975
AN7-----Swivel Bucket Seats
73X-----Cranberry. Compati-color interior for package shelf, dash, instrument panel, carpets, console, kick panels

Congratulations on the car, looks nice. Please don't take the following as critisism, only pointing out what I can see to help confirm your cars authenticity. There are a couple areas of concern the inner quarter sail panels are wrong (std Supreme) as noted that you can see the exterior landau covering the glass which should have been plugged by Hurst during the conversion. The Buckets should be swivel, and your Fisher Tag confirms it left GM that way. The steering column is not correct should be painted the Cranberry color. The Supreme grilles should be bright chrome, possibly all the chrome is worn off though. The Targa band is missing, the backlight trim is correct for a Hurst with textured paint not bright polished. Wheels should be painted Hurst Gold, The Hood looks to be correct it should be a 442 hood, not a Supreme style. The Hurst Hatches look correct, the shifter looks to be a His & Hers dual gate but has incorrect shifter handle.
Again everything points on the surface to it being a HO, and the body tag number falls into the window of a run of units sent over to Demmer for conversion. You might reach out as I believe others have said to the HO club for specifics.

Please preserve & enjoy what you have, those shall never pass this way again.

Brett
Old March 4th, 2015, 06:39 PM

My build sheet was under the back seat
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:49 AM

I also have white on white 75. Mine is the same color scheme, it should have swivel buckets with the cranberry and white reversible cushions. As far as your sail panels mine were completely disintegrated (AZ car) . I am 99% sure mine is original and it has cranberry velour back seats which I have never seen before.