How did Demmer do it?

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

How did Demmer do it?

After months of scrounging, I'm ready to install a vintage 1969 Dual Gate shifter in my 1969 Cutlass. Although I have all the parts I need, I am missing one of the most important things for a correct installation....information. If someone here could enlighten me I would appreciate it greatly.

1) Where exactly along the transmission tunnel did Demmer mount the shifter? My Cutlass is a column shift so there is no console bracketry to get in the way of the mini-console, but I wasn't sure if there is a reference point or measurement to help me determine the location.

2) What is the diameter of the hole for the shifter cable? Did they seal the hole with anything or was the foam rubber sleeve on the cable the only seal?

3) Was the shifter mounted on top of the carpet or did Demmer just cut out a section of carpeting and mount the shifter directly onto the tunnel? There's a great drawing of a 1969 Dual Gate and it looks like it's mounted on top of the carpet, but I just want to be sure.

If anyone has any tips or pitfalls to avoid, please let me know. I'm trying to make this as accurate an installation as possible.

Thanks so much for any help!
Uncle Hulka
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Have you looked in the 1969 Cutlass Assembly Manual? Can't see them doing anything different than Olds did.
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Hi Alan,
I have that manual, but I didn't think the Dual Gate is covered there since the factory didn't install the dual gate. Demmer did. Am I wrong?
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM

post up your parts I will later tonight go out and get some numbers and photos for you this has come up before I did a templet of the brackets for another member back some time agoe he didnt ask that I will see if I can find it and post it too.

found it https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-bracket.html

Last edited by firefrost gold; June 4th, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Here are a couple of pics of shifter placement from a 68.
Tom
68 442
70 F85
Attached Images
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tom442
Here are a couple of pics of shifter placement from a 68.
Tom
68 442
70 F85
Is that a 68 H/o
Tom thats not your top cap is it ?
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
post up your parts I will later tonight go out and get some numbers and photos for you this has come up before I did a templet of the brackets for another member back some time agoe he didnt ask that I will see if I can find it and post it too.

found it https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-bracket.html
Thanks so much for the offer to help! I followed the bracket thread a while back and it was helpful, but I'm still trying to figure this out. The first illustration in your thread has been a big help. Lots of great info there!

Here are some picks of my shifter. The crossed flags emblem on the top plate was home-made and no longer there.

The cable in the pictures was for a dual gate, but much longer than 32". I found everything I needed (except for the neutral safety/reverse switch) from classic-olds.com. Jim and Connie were great folks to work with and they had what I needed (including the dual gate shifter conversion parts specific to 1969.

I'm hoping to get this installed this weekend. I'm guessing about 4 or 5 hours.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help!

Uncle Hulka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
07.jpg (81.0 KB, 54 views)
02.jpg (96.5 KB, 53 views)
03.jpg (81.6 KB, 54 views)
04.jpg (79.5 KB, 54 views)
05.jpg (106.4 KB, 51 views)
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:28 AM

No, Some one here on CO sent those pics to me... I can't remember who sent them to me but ...Thanks!

Here is a link to what my top cap looks like.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/Tom...tml?sort=3&o=4
Old June 4th, 2014, 11:11 AM

I'm sure others on here can give you exact info and the dimensions you need. My ancient recollections of my H/O were that the modifications done by Hurst were not terribly exact, as you will realize if you ever see the hole cut in the hood for the ram air. My guess would be that the Dual Gate they installed was the same aftermarket one they sold to anyone at that time with a cut-to-fit plastic console and attachments to match the transmission involved. Before I had my 69 H/O I had installed a Dual Gate in a 67 Plymouth GTX and from what I remember the units above the floor looked identical in appearance although the specific support brackets may have differed in size or shape. Not sure if it will help you but I found the direction sheet from that GTX install and have scanned it in. If nothing else it is an interesting 60s artifact. One thing I do remember for a new install - be sure to keep that plastic cable away from the exhaust pipe! You can easily figure out how I know that... Good luck with your install.
Attached Images
hurst17.jpg (89.5 KB, 72 views)
IMG_0004.jpg (66.7 KB, 88 views)
IMG_0005.jpg (68.2 KB, 86 views)
IMG_0006.jpg (67.4 KB, 69 views)
IMG_0007.jpg (45.2 KB, 70 views)
Old June 4th, 2014, 12:03 PM

The body looks right the brackets are hard to see some feet look gone but again hard to see. instructions above are very cool !
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Originally Posted by Don R.
I'm sure others on here can give you exact info and the dimensions you need. My ancient recollections of my H/O were that the modifications done by Hurst were not terribly exact, as you will realize if you ever see the hole cut in the hood for the ram air. My guess would be that the Dual Gate they installed was the same aftermarket one they sold to anyone at that time with a cut-to-fit plastic console and attachments to match the transmission involved. Before I had my 69 H/O I had installed a Dual Gate in a 67 Plymouth GTX and from what I remember the units above the floor looked identical in appearance although the specific support brackets may have differed in size or shape. Not sure if it will help you but I found the direction sheet from that GTX install and have scanned it in. If nothing else it is an interesting 60s artifact. One thing I do remember for a new install - be sure to keep that plastic cable away from the exhaust pipe! You can easily figure out how I know that... Good luck with your install.
Thank you, Don, for taking the time to scan your instructions. I'll see if I can print and read them. How cool is it that you were able to put your hands on it after all these years!
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
The body looks right the brackets are hard to see some feet look gone but again hard to see. instructions above are very cool !
If you're talking about the pictures I uploaded, you are absolutely correct. One of the shifter's mounting feet (the rear, right-hand foot) was broken off at the outward bend . However, my friend Bob (who has awesome fabrication skills) repaired it so that you can hardly tell there was ever an issue. Once I paint the bracket, the repair will be invisible. He is an incredibly talented friend. Without him, I would never have gotten as far on this Cutlass project.

As far as my original questions, any measurements or reference points would be extremely appreciated.

Man, there are some really helpful folks here on CO. A great group of guys and gals. I appreciate all the aid.

Thank you, my Oldsmobrothers!

Uncle Hulka

PS - BTW, would you say that I am correct in believing this is an actual 68-69 Dual Gate? For the record, it wasn't sold to me as such; No specific year was ever mentioned.
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:05 AM

pics are of a 29k mile '68 H/O with a stolen Dual/Gate
Attached Images
68 ho 2.jpg (44.1 KB, 96 views)
68 ho 3.jpg (70.5 KB, 87 views)
68 ho 4.jpg (77.3 KB, 84 views)
68 ho 5.jpg (77.0 KB, 85 views)
68 ho 6.jpg (44.6 KB, 82 views)
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:09 AM

I was trying to find a reference point - I can get more pics.
Attached Images
68 ho 7.jpg (50.4 KB, 64 views)
68 ho 7a.jpg (88.3 KB, 53 views)
68 ho 8.jpg (50.8 KB, 56 views)
68 ho 9.jpg (48.2 KB, 52 views)
68 ho 9a.jpg (45.7 KB, 62 views)
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Those are great shots, but man, what a piece of $hit to steal a Dual Gate right out of a guy's car! I hope they caught him. Do you know the story?

Hard to tell, but it looks like they just chiseled a hole in the floor for the shift cable and De-burred it with some duct tape. "A real knife and fork job" was how I remember an article in "MuscleCar's Of The 50's & 60's" described how Yenko installed their Dual Gate shifters in a 1969 Camaro.

Please, reference points would be a tremendous help, but regardless, thank you so much for posting those pictures!
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Hulka
Thank you, Don, for taking the time to scan your instructions. I'll see if I can print and read them. How cool is it that you were able to put your hands on it after all these years!

Hope they are of some help. Not sure how cool it is , just proves I never throw anything away, isn't there a TV show about that?
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Hulka
Hard to tell, but it looks like they just chiseled a hole in the floor for the shift cable and De-burred it with some duct tape. "A real knife and fork job" was how I remember an article in "MuscleCar's Of The 50's & 60's" described how Yenko installed their Dual Gate shifters in a 1969 Camaro.

Those 68 pics brought back memories of my 69. I removed the console to replace the carpet and it looked the same, pretty much a hack job. "Get 'em out the door!"
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm kind of curious how the dual gate mounting is much different than the console installed by Olds? Have a look at this picture and maybe someone can point out the variations? (other than the obvious dual gate pattern). I'm sure the dual gate is somewhat wider, but it appears that the shift cable alignment is what determines the placement of the shifter mount?

Attached Images
68 Auto Shifter.jpg (119.2 KB, 344 views)
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'm kind of curious how the dual gate mounting is much different than the console installed by Olds? Have a look at this picture and maybe someone can point out the variations? (other than the obvious dual gate pattern). I'm sure the dual gate is somewhat wider, but it appears that the shift cable alignment is what determines the placement of the shifter mount?

By God, I think you might be onto something, Allan! To be honest, I never looked at the 1969 Assembly Manual until I read your post. It sure does look like the cable, combined with the shape/angle of the shifter mounting feet, will help determine the mounting position of the shifter! I'm hoping to be able to install the shifter this weekend. I will report my success or failure.

Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have to apologize - I used the 1968 AM for the diagram. Just looked up the 69 one, and it's identical, so I guess no harm done.
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:12 PM

trying to get some photos to upload but in not winning
Attached Images
dual gate .jpg (19.3 KB, 57 views)
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

No apology needed or wanted, Allan. You are trying to help and that's all that matters. Thank you! No diff that I can see.

Firefrost, that's a great drawing! Am I right in assuming that the 17" is measured to the front of the bracket that secures the cable from the shifter? Also that the hole for the cable is approx 4" infront of that same bracket and is 1" in diameter?
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:36 PM

yes it is also just to the left of center too photos load on pc come up good just get Error when trying to post ?? still working on it
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Yes, that's what your drawing shows. Just to the left of the tunnel centerline. Good luck with the pictures.

BTW, is the carpeting under the shifter cut out or do I just run the screws right through it into the tunnel?

Many thanks to you and everyone else!
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:49 PM

go to classic Oldsmobile face book i can load them there no problem
Attached Images
hursttest.jpg (58.8 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by firefrost gold; June 5th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:30 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/315069808574395/

Last edited by firefrost gold; June 8th, 2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
pics are of a 29k mile '68 H/O with a stolen Dual/Gate
Mine has the same tape over the hole like yours also.
Old June 16th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

UPDATE.....

Thanks to the bracket fabrication skills of a great friend, the dual gate shifter is installed! It actually took me longer to trim the console than it did to do everything else. It works beautifully and adds a whole new dimension of fun to a car that was already a blast to drive! Under accelleration there's a lag between moving the lever and when the trans shifts. I'll look into that, but for right now it's in and I'm LOVING it!!!

I'll take some pictures of the installed shifter and post them later.

Many, many thanks to everyone here that helped. A fantastic group of guys!
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Very glad you now have the shifter installed and are enjoying the car. I'm sure the shift points on the dual side of the gate will be an easy adjustment for you. Love it when a plan comes together!
Old June 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

Thanks, Alan! I don't think the lag has anything to do with the shifter, but before I rule that out I want to make sure that everything is as precisely adjusted as possible. I have a theory that if my manual shift to, say, 2nd gear does not allow the shift bracket on the transmission fully rotate to 2nd gear, due to mis-adjustment, that might possibly be the reason for the lag. It's just a theory, but it's one that I should be able to proove out easily.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words and assistance.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:07 AM

were did you get the shifter cable ? glad to see you got it in .
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

I got the cable and some other needed items (brackets, etc.) from Jim & Connie Michael at Classic Olds. Jim sure knows his Oldsmobiles! I told him what I was trying to do, he asked a couple key questions and told me exactly what I would need. Sure enough, thanks to Jim, the installation went as smooth as silk. They also had some other 'correct' items I needed.

Would I would buy from Jim and Connie again? In a heartbeat!

You can reach them at info@classic-olds.com