1976 Hurst Olds

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2013, 01:17 PM

This is what I keep finding and trying to find more about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (55.5 KB, 41 views)
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:19 PM

Another one
Attached Images
image.jpg (46.5 KB, 30 views)
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator

I refrained from comment for most of this thread and although my car appreciation stopped in 1972, I agree its a very nice car. I noted above on the Hurst Equipped emblem and Phoenix Graphics makes the rear fender decal for the 72-74's.

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm/1973ho.php
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I refrained from comment for most of this thread and although my car appreciation stopped in 1972, I agree its a very nice car. I noted above on the Hurst Equipped emblem and Phoenix Graphics makes the rear fender decal for the 72-74's.

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm/1973ho.php
Thank you. The one thing I notice different on the reproduction quarter decals vs the one on the car is the reproduction ones the black in the O and in in half the H is a decal. Where the ones on the car it's not a decal. It's the black from the paint of the car and the Olds in top of that. Not a decal.
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

It was hard to get a clear pic plus yours is a black car, but it's a graphics company and they note custom graphic's available. I'm not by any means knocking you or your car, just pointing this out as anything is possible. There are 2 colors available Black and Gold on the complete kit.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:05 PM

It was hard to get a clear pic plus yours is a black car, but it's a graphics company and they note custom graphic's available. I'm not by any means knocking you or your car, just pointing this out as anything is possible. There are 2 colors available Black and Gold on the complete kit.
No I understand. I don't take it as knocking the car at all. Maybe they don't belong on car maybe they do. Long story still finding out history of car. Way to much to type! Got to talk to previous owner she(yes she)said it came with all that stuff on car. I didn't buy car directly from her. Another long story! Lol. Found old insurance card in car and tracked her down. Her brother owned before her for many years and she said he changed the shifter to what's in there now. She claimed the one that use to be in there went side to side(probably dual gate?). The car was purchased at a Pa dealer Pa titled in 3/76 and was always in Yardley area which is not to far from Warminster, Pa (maybe 20 miles) which is where Hurst was. Maybe the original owner had Hurst do? Don't know. The previous owner was expecting company so couldn't talk anymore and this was just the other night. There is suppose to be a car show near me in a couple weeks where she is suppose to meet me and tell me more history she knows about the car and look for and documents she may have on it and let me know
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Administrator

It would be nice for you to find out.
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:14 PM

It would be nice for you to find out.
Really trying too! Lol
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mikel7099
Thank you. The one thing I notice different on the reproduction quarter decals vs the one on the car is the reproduction ones the black in the O and in in half the H is a decal. Where the ones on the car it's not a decal. It's the black from the paint of the car and the Olds in top of that. Not a decal.
A few more items on rear quarter decals I think I can show you. There are 4 pictures below, a 72 H/O, 74 H/O, the 76 H/O proposal car and your car. Note what I guess we can call the 'font', in the first 3 decals, the 'O' in 'OLDS' is an oval, where yours is a round 'O', the letter 'D' is similar in nature. Another item to check out, look at the H and the O and their distance from the / in H/O. The first 3 there is a 1/2 inch to maybe an inch? separation, on your car it seems that they are very close to almost touching. It also seems your entire decal is a bit larger than what you would expect a qtr decal to be, looks larger in relation on your quarter compared to the others. I can measure the dimensions on my 74 if you want to compare.
Attached Images
Qtr0.jpg (36.7 KB, 42 views)
Qtr1.jpg (60.6 KB, 39 views)
Qtr2.jpg (67.3 KB, 42 views)
Qtr3.jpg (65.2 KB, 45 views)
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:17 PM

Seeing how you guys lack knowledge and can't handle the facts there is no point
The people in this thread know more than you ever will about Oldsmobiles, You, obviously, are the village idiot.
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:35 AM

'76 Olds Hurst Options

Still looking for facts, technically the truth is there was a Cutlass Hurst option in '76. But it's only the Hatch Roof opt code AE1. But they also had a Hurst Delta Royale opt Y61.

Factory literature I have lists all items and part numbers included. (Note that Olds had handling & warranty procedures for any Hurst products). The Y61 option even included an emblem that Hurst installed. AE1 T-tops include a carrying case but nothing said about any emblems or decals. So that leads me to believe an "H/O" or "Hurst Equipped" emblem was not installed by Hurst or dealer. If so there would most likely be part numbers & warranty procedures if put on a new car.

Been awhile since looked at 442.com so I looked only to find same old incorrect faqs! And yes, most every site you refered to has incorrect statements too. I tried correcting 442 dot com many years ago without success. Same wrong stuff on the '73 & '74s. Probably the most accurate Hurst/Olds info can be found on wikipedia. Go ahead and contact club advisors or whoever but you should get the same answer from a knowledgeable person that the car is a Cutlass Salon with Hurst/Hatches.

I myself use to have a '76 Salon & a '77 Cutlass which is my favorite year. Like the Salon seats in '77 better because they are not so big. Personally I would remove the qtr panel logos and put the Hurst Equipped badge on the trunk if it were my car.

Olds literature says that the space saver spare tire opt N65 is required with opt AE1 Hatch Roof in '77. In '76 both options were available but haven't found anything yet saying manditory but it was a new factory ordered option that year. So just note that '77 cars with T-tops and regular spare positively means they were added later by an authorized installer.

Don't know why I even reply again because you have laughed & dissed every comment I made! I figured you had a reason for negative comments because it's your car. You are not going to find the answers to really want to hear from any credible source. Those have tried to tell you what it is and what it is not, A Cutlass Salon with Hurst/Hatches. Good luck on finding original owner which is the only way to find out who, when, or why the decals and badges were installed. Maybe a second or third owner could shed light but again they may have bought it thinking it's an H/O because of a bs story told by prior owner, who knows.
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
A few more items on rear quarter decals I think I can show you. There are 4 pictures below, a 72 H/O, 74 H/O, the 76 H/O proposal car and your car. Note what I guess we can call the 'font', in the first 3 decals, the 'O' in 'OLDS' is an oval, where yours is a round 'O', the letter 'D' is similar in nature. Another item to check out, look at the H and the O and their distance from the / in H/O. The first 3 there is a 1/2 inch to maybe an inch? separation, on your car it seems that they are very close to almost touching. It also seems your entire decal is a bit larger than what you would expect a qtr decal to be, looks larger in relation on your quarter compared to the others. I can measure the dimensions on my 74 if you want to compare.
Thanks. If you could give me measurement I would appreciate it.
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by jwsolds
Still looking for facts, technically the truth is there was a Cutlass Hurst option in '76. But it's only the Hatch Roof opt code AE1. But they also had a Hurst Delta Royale opt Y61.

Factory literature I have lists all items and part numbers included. (Note that Olds had handling & warranty procedures for any Hurst products). The Y61 option even included an emblem that Hurst installed. AE1 T-tops include a carrying case but nothing said about any emblems or decals. So that leads me to believe an "H/O" or "Hurst Equipped" emblem was not installed by Hurst or dealer. If so there would most likely be part numbers & warranty procedures if put on a new car.

Been awhile since looked at 442.com so I looked only to find same old incorrect faqs! And yes, most every site you refered to has incorrect statements too. I tried correcting 442 dot com many years ago without success. Same wrong stuff on the '73 & '74s. Probably the most accurate Hurst/Olds info can be found on wikipedia. Go ahead and contact club advisors or whoever but you should get the same answer from a knowledgeable person that the car is a Cutlass Salon with Hurst/Hatches.

I myself use to have a '76 Salon & a '77 Cutlass which is my favorite year. Like the Salon seats in '77 better because they are not so big. Personally I would remove the qtr panel logos and put the Hurst Equipped badge on the trunk if it were my car.

Olds literature says that the space saver spare tire opt N65 is required with opt AE1 Hatch Roof in '77. In '76 both options were available but haven't found anything yet saying manditory but it was a new factory ordered option that year. So just note that '77 cars with T-tops and regular spare positively means they were added later by an authorized installer.

Don't know why I even reply again because you have laughed & dissed every comment I made! I figured you had a reason for negative comments because it's your car. You are not going to find the answers to really want to hear from any credible source. Those have tried to tell you what it is and what it is not, A Cutlass Salon with Hurst/Hatches. Good luck on finding original owner which is the only way to find out who, when, or why the decals and badges were installed. Maybe a second or third owner could shed light but again they may have bought it thinking it's an H/O because of a bs story told by prior owner, who knows.
Not laughing at or dissing. I never bought car thinking it was a H/O. Bought car because I liked the car it has some options a 455, buckets and console. I seen the H/O badges and googled to find out more info about car and found the stuff about a Hurst option. Wanted to find out more about it. During my Google search I came across this thread. The OP isn't even my neighbor. Apparently when my brother was over my house to look at car he took pics of the car knowing his neighbor was a Oldsmobile fan he asked him to find out about it. So I was shocked to see pics of my car on here and questions being asked about it. So I joined to ask questions to find out more. I never claimed the car to be a H/O or a prototype at all but some keep referring to as if I did. Everyone was saying the badges weren't dealer or Hurst installed which I am fine with so I ask for proof of why so that way I can learn and if they belonged on car to leave and preserve if not I will be more than happy to take off I am not into cloning or making it something it's not.

Last edited by Mikel7099; September 26th, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
The people in this thread know more than you ever will about Oldsmobiles, You, obviously, are the village idiot.
Coming from you it means a lot. Lol. I might lose sleep tonight
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:03 AM

I remember a 67 Hurst olds thread that went similar to this. can we see the fornt end of it ?
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
I remember a 67 Hurst olds thread that went similar to this. can we see the fornt end of it ?
Absolutely. I don't have straight front pics on my phone.(I am in work) I will take and post when I get home

Last edited by Mikel7099; September 26th, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:41 AM

3K57T6W282009 that's the VIN
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM
NôôB

The main important thing is this thread is FINALLY getting somewhere, and we are talking like human beings . Although, I am not going to lie I was enjoying the poo throwing .
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM

Hopefully it lasts. Sometimes poo throwing is fun!
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
NôôB

I am glad you like the car and it sounds like a bad *** setup on her. I think you should let everyone know what your plans are for it and show us more pictures. And I have forgot to say, as i went straight to poo throwing, Welcome aboard and these can be some of the nicest and most informed people in the Olds community
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I'm going to suggest you two get a room in a minute.
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:27 AM
NôôB

Oh you have enjoyed watching it for this long mine as well wait til the end lol
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Yeah, but now I'm waiting for one of you to propose.
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
I am glad you like the car and it sounds like a bad *** setup on her. I think you should let everyone know what your plans are for it and show us more pictures. And I have forgot to say, as i went straight to poo throwing, Welcome aboard and these can be some of the nicest and most informed people in the Olds community
Thank you for the welcome. It depends on if badges are fake to be honest(please no poo throwing on that) if a previous owner put them on then they will come off and time for a freshen up of the engine. A little higher compression, headers, cam swap you know all that good stuff. If for some reason the badges belong(not saying they do) I will just try to preserve the car the best I can. Not trying to be difficult but if for some reason they do belong on car and I pull them off that would suck! I got home from work now and it's pitch black out. I will try to post pics after work tomorrow. Needs some work but not a basket case at all. We'll to me anyways.
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Administrator

I like the way the car is real or not. Although I would cam and header it anyway, hahahahha
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:23 PM
NôôB

I like the way the car is real or not. Although I would cam and header it anyway, hahahahha

Back off thats my man LMAO
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Oh snap!! Lol
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:35 PM

That's a nice car. A 76 Salon equipped with Hurst Hatches that has had the emblems added, as others have mentioned. They are newer reproductions. I have a couple of those repros myself but never stuck them on the car. My car is a 76 442 with Hurst hatches. My car has the Hurst sticker in the door jamb and didn't come with any Hurst badging but it wouldn't have, it is not a Supreme, just as your car is not a Supreme. Your car is a Salon and all your posted pieces of "proof" mention Hurst converted Supremes. I don't see the Salon mentioned for the 1976 model year anywhere you posted this "evidence". You may need to read it a little closer. A Salon is not a Supreme. Also 442.com is well known for having incorrect information. That's a great car but you can rest assured Hurst didn't put those emblems on your car. Not trying to beat a dead horse by throwing poo at it, just pointing out that the references YOU posted say, "Supreme".
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator

I'm not the one who threw poo at him... We can let him choose.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:33 AM

I'm not the one who threw poo at him... We can let him choose.
Dam it! It's a tough one. Can't I have both or do I have to flip a coin?
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Eh, who am I kidding. I have 2 left feet and giggle when I kiss, plus who can compete with a guy in uniform.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Eh, who am I kidding. I have 2 left feet and giggle when I kiss, plus who can compete with a guy in uniform.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mikel7099
This is what I keep finding and trying to find more about.
Not sure where you found this but it is full of diddly doo. It is a cool looking Salon and a factory 455 car to boot. A real H/O (which it's not) would have a Hurst shifter and H/O emblems. Not a Hurst t handle on a stock shifter or Hurst equiped emblems.

You should check out the 73-77 olds board.

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/index.php

Last edited by DennisG.; October 2nd, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM

Dont some of the 74 or 75 that came with a standard shifter no dual gate. in the H/O ? wasnt it the w-3o H/o's that got the dual gate or was it just the 455 for them I will have to see if I find more on this.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Dont some of the 74 or 75 that came with a standard shifter no dual gate. in the H/O ? wasnt it the w-3o H/o's that got the dual gate or was it just the 455 for them I will have to see if I find more on this.
In 1974 the W-30 455 equipped H/Os got the dual gate. The 350 equipped H/Os got the stock console shifter with a small Hurst Olds emblem mounted towards the rear of the shifter bezel.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM

thats what i was thinking sort of I was looking at the one one here for sale back a few months ago talked with some more well versed in them and found out i didn't think i wanted it so didnt go any further . I like the cars that one just wasnt the one.
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by texxas
In 1974 the W-30 455 equipped H/Os got the dual gate. The 350 equipped H/Os got the stock console shifter with a small Hurst Olds emblem mounted towards the rear of the shifter bezel.
Yup. I forgot about the 74.
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:18 AM

The 1976 Hurst Olds Cutlass Salon was a real carr!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, one-of-none.
Old November 20th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Oldsdruid

Boy, talk bout diggin' up bones...

Jon (jwsolds) knows more about the 73-77 Hurst/Olds production and prototype cars than anyone I know. You can bank on what he tells you.

The 1976 and 1977 H/O prototypes were based on the 37 fastback coupe bodystyle as shown in the pics in front of the AACA Museum, not the 57 notchback Supreme/Salon. Hurst/Hatch option AE1 was available for the 57 cars as a factory authorized option with conversion done by Hurst, but not available on the 37 body. The door jamb decal Hurst installed on these conversion cars was required by federal law for warranty and liability purposes. It does not make a hatch roof equipped car a Hurst/Olds. Besides, those same years Hurst was also putting them in Monte Carlos, Grand Prixs and Buick Regal S/R's and installing the same federally required decal. Those are certainly not Hurst/Oldsmobiles.

Bottom line is: a 1976-77 GM 57 bodystyle MAY have a Hurst Hatch roof installed, but its presence does not confirm a Hurst/Olds, no matter what additional decals or badging have been added over the years. LIkewise, if you want to get technical, the Y61 Royale Crown Landau conversion was the only production Hurst/Olds for 1976- and those carry no H/O badging whatsoever, only the fed door jamb decal.
Old April 9th, 2022, 07:45 AM

hi gents,
was looking for part for a friend with 87 cutlas and came across your forum,
i couldn't help myself to register so i can reply,,

so my whole Brooklyn child hood life growing up my Dad was an Olds Man..3 of them.
in the 80's looking for a second car to drive around, I had a Z8 Camaro always in the garage,
i actually found and bought cross my heart 1976 Cutlas Supreme Salon Hurst Edition,
Forest Green, Saddle interior.

i hope this helps in your conversation,,
perhaps and maybe somewhere buried I may have a picture

stay well my Olds Friends

Quick Reply: 1976 Hurst Olds