Hurst's @ Mecum Auction

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:12 AM

Hurst's @ Mecum Auction

I see several H/O's at the current Mecum Kissimee auction, looks like 4 69's and several others as well as a convertible replica....

What baffles me is when someone goes through the trouble of restoring a car or replicating one and put's the DAMN HOOD SCOOP decals on BACKWARDS!?!?!
And.... takes a close up picture to highlight it......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kiss_201301.jpg (46.2 KB, 166 views)
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:27 AM
No Dr. but play 1 on TV

Mecum Prices

I've been watching the 69's go through at Mecum. I also talked to a guy who has 1 going through and 2 other Olds also.

It looks to me as if the 69 Hursts are not bringing in as much as they thought.
When I look up the details on the cars, it does not say clone, tribute or other.
Some may read matching numbers and some may not, but even the prices on the matching number cars seems low to me.
Anyone else notice this???
BQ
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:08 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by Benton Quest
I've been watching the 69's go through at Mecum. I also talked to a guy who has 1 going through and 2 other Olds also.

It looks to me as if the 69 Hursts are not bringing in as much as they thought.
When I look up the details on the cars, it does not say clone, tribute or other.
Some may read matching numbers and some may not, but even the prices on the matching number cars seems low to me.
Anyone else notice this???
BQ
I agree with you ...to me the69 H/O has always been the standard and pinnacle of olds performance and always had an ultra mystique to it....now with backwards decals, poorly done clones, tributes etc along with reproduced parts for everything...the cars have lost a bit of their identity and rareness. also the market is funny somethings are hot one year and not the next...example only 89k for the 68 H/O and over hundred thousand for resto-mods olds at BJ auction, some people I guess are just happy with a COKE and a new pair of NIKE'S and no offence to coke and nike ''people'
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Why does one own a rare car like the 69 H/O ?
I think the market for these cars will slow as the people that would like such a car age and die off.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Bernhard I fell for them when I was about ten years old . Seen one for sale in the back of a hot rod magizine .
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:03 PM

I was REALLY surprised at how low those 2 sold for last night ($32.5k and $40k)! They looked pretty good from the photos I saw. Could have been the Thursday crowd?
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Bernhard I fell for them when I was about ten years old . Seen one for sale in the back of a hot rod magizine .

I also fell for the 69 when I was a kid for me any 69 is special cutlass 442 H/O. This is why I think as the population ages the love for these cars will fade.I would love to own a H/O or even a clone/tribute car because I would buy it not for its resale value. I just find the value of these cars hard to justify.At 32K and 40K I think that is more like there real value.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:24 AM

One crossed the block last night and was a 'no-sale' at $80k which. IMO, is where they should be for a real nice example. I'm thinking that's about all the money for one right now.
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I think the market for these cars will slow as the people that would like such a car age and die off.
This cracked me up!

I think this sentence applies to the entire old car hobby, or at least the old Oldsmobile hobby. The heart of the Olds hobby is the late '60s/early '70s Cutlasses with early/mid-60s Cutlasses second, full-size cars from the '50s and '60s third, and everything else fourth or lower.

But the point is, those mid-'60s to early '70s cars are just getting older and older, and the people who are old enough to remember them in their youth and thus most likely to be interested in them are, as you put it, aging and dieing off!
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Administrator

I don't know, I think as the young people age I think they might get interested in real cars.
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:21 AM

A lot of young pepole do not have the skill set to work on these cars,the trade programs in schools have been cut.When I left hi school I would say 1/3 of the grad class had hand skill from that number most went on to trade school.When you have a skill set that lets you build or work on cars there is more interest in the old car hobby. The new muscle cars are so well made, I think it hurts the value of the old car market. If I did not have such a strong bond to the Oldsmobile,I would have just bought a new muscle car.I think the big three banked on this age group to re- live there youth, and with old muscle car value at an all time high you can't blame them.
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't know, I think as the young people age I think they might get interested in real cars.
This is a hugely loaded statement as exactly what is a "real" car? We all think it's these old Oldsmobiles, but not everyone does, and certainly not the Generation X'ers or later.

People are often interested in the cars they grew up with, just like we are. Real "car guys" will recognize the era of the '50s and '60s cars and how unique they were, but many will just be interested in the cars of the '80s and '90s because those are the cars they know. But those cars are not as interesting, and they're certainly not as easy to work on with all their computer control components and all.

This has been pointed out time and again, but all you have to do to recognize the problem is to look at the average color of the hair on the attendees at the OCA National meets. Everyone is in their 50s or older. Young people do come into the hobby, but not at the rate that old people are "dieing off." It will be interesting to see how the old car hobby fares over the next generation or two.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM

I don't know about the old guys getting older argument. Maybe some of that but my kids ages 23 and 26 and their friends all think muscle cars are cool. I think the spikes and valleys are all about the latest hype. I mean a couple years ago some hemi cudas we're selling for millions. And they may again after the collectors keep them off the market long enoughthat they get rare again! It's all about what BJ and Mecum and whoever else think they can work their audience up into a lather about. Nothing wrong with that but I am more interested in the guys I meet at the shows who drove their car there and know something about the car and its history. True car guys not just collectors.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:25 AM

Imho

As people get older they want to relive their youth, and part of that is the cars they owned in their youth. I am going to be 60 this year. I grew up with "cheap" Muscle Cars. I had a 1969 Hurst Olds in College(1975) and found another one in 2004. At that time I thought I paid way too much, but I figured "now or never". I think the cars that are going to depreciate are the Ford Model A's and T's.. The people that owner those cars in their youth are "really" dying off. The Muscle Car generation are just getting into their "highest income" earning potential and will keep the prices of these cars on the rise.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:28 PM
RAG

I restored my '69 H/O to drive it (not as a show car), and enjoy it, as I was 17 years old when they were in the showroom floors in Lansing were I lived. To me it's the ultimate Oldsmobile. When I'm too old to drive my grandson wants it to enjoy. But to park them in a collection and never drive them is a shame. I'm driving it to the Olds show in Texas next week.