Looking for info for Sunroof in 72 H/O

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:37 AM

Looking for info for Sunroof in 72 H/O

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone has any information on the sunroof in the 72 Hurst. I just acquired a 72 sunroof car and I'm looking for manuals, parts, headliner install instructions, etc...... I found the car in Idaho and I am starting the restoration. It is a W45 coded real deal, but it is in pretty rough shape. Kids had decided to use the roof as a trampoline and caved the roof and sunroof assembly in along with breaking out all the windows. Not concerned much with the roof and sunroof damage as I have two sons who are expert metal fabricators and I've found out that the sunroofs put in the car were pretty common. All in all the car is in pretty good restorable condition with the typical A-body rust issues. It only has 63,000 miles on the odometer. It wasn't very highly optioned but it has the factory alarm and at one time had the Hurst Performance computer. It even still has the factory firewall stamps visible on the firewall. The hood, bucket seats, and dual gate shifter were missing from the car. At least I saved it from the scrap yard which is where it was headed had I not found it when I did. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM

I've got a 72 sunroof car. I don't have any drawings; however I took the sunroof apart 20 years ago. Since then the car has sat and I eventually gave it to a restoration shop to finish. They didn't do the sunroof assembly, but gave most of the parts back to me. I just got the sunroof back together after several hours of trying to remember the assembly and test fitting. She's now back in! Email me or call and I'll be happy to describe or send photos while it's still exposed.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Info for 72 sunroof H/O

H/O Driver- Thanks for the reply. I would be greatful for any pictures and info you could provide. I am in the process of building my shop right now so the car is sitting in storage, but I plan on having the shop completed before the snow flies. I am currently trying to acquire parts for the sunroof but need to know how it goes together and any info on parts sources if you have any. My email address is garandnut@comcast.net. I will stay in touch with you if that is OK so that I can get any needed info. Thanks again.
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM

hi
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Hey, 72hurstpilot, or anyone else out there, I need a headliner template or an original headliner for a 72 Hurst Olds sunroof car. A source for a company or individual that has these headliners would be great as well. I haven't had any success finding a headline manufacturer that knows this headliner. I will be willing to pay up to $150 towards the cost of your new headliner as well for your troubles. Brothers Automotive apparently used to be able to get these, but they said that their source went out of business and didn't return the template.

bob@ourgulfcoast.com
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:50 AM

Anyone have a source for parts for the sunroofs?
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:05 AM

Gregg Neubert found a motor for me. Somehow I have misplaced his number, but his email is: neuberts@verizon.net. Sounds like he had a lot of experience with older sunroofs, but the H/O was new to him.

I have some parts left over from the motor swap out, if you think I may have a part you need, let me know.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:27 AM

I'm looking for the front seal retainer. It's the piece that holds the front seal in place. Even if you could take a picture of it, that would be awsome. Mine is missing.

I did contact Greg at Neuberts and he's been looking for a couple weeks now.

Originally Posted by H/O Driver
Gregg Neubert found a motor for me. Somehow I have misplaced his number, but his email is: neuberts@verizon.net. Sounds like he had a lot of experience with older sunroofs, but the H/O was new to him.

I have some parts left over from the motor swap out, if you think I may have a part you need, let me know.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:27 AM

That retainer may be hard to find; however, it is a pretty basic "L" shaped piece of aluminum. I still happen to have mine out and can either give you the dimensions or I can get a quote from a close friend of mine who owns a CNC machine shop.

Let me know how I can help.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 11:51 AM

I know this post has been inactive for a number of years, would like to see if anyone has any information on the sunroof restoration (refurb). I am restoring a 72 HO and will be in need of some parts, have some fabricators so I can make some things if needed. Seems to be very little information available for these sunroofs.
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:04 AM

I've got a few parts. If you want to send me a photo of all the pieces you have, there's a pretty good chance that I will be able to tell you what your missing. I couldn't find any information about this sunroof when I was looking 3 years ago, and it was difficult to finally get it sorted out.
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:30 AM

This sunroofs were made by Webasto, a European company that also supplied them to BMW< MERCEDES and AUDI. In the US thet were know as WISCO and the documentation from the Hurst Olds archives shows them as the sub contractor to Hurst. They were also used in Cadillac sevilles 1976-1979 but not exclusively. A lot of the Europen cars had manual sunroofs The company still exists and is in the sunroof business,

https://www.webasto.com/int/markets-...iding-sunroof/

Best bet is to look for 70-73 BMW 7 series or Mercedes SEL with a power sunroof.
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:34 AM

Parts on ebay for Webasto

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...nroof&_sacat=0