General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Dip stick tube

Old August 29th, 2015, 09:22 AM

Dip stick tube

This may sound stupid, but after removing the driver side exhaust manifold to assist in installing the dip stick tube, it goes it only as far as the ribs on the tube, and then will not go in any further. I don't want to hammer on it. Is there a secret to be able to get it past the rib on the tube and properly secure the tube. Contact me @ yalikeme@Hotmail.com

Bob Wormell
Old August 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by yalikeme
This may sound stupid, but after removing the driver side exhaust manifold to assist in installing the dip stick tube, it goes it only as far as the ribs on the tube, and then will not go in any further. I don't want to hammer on it. Is there a secret to be able to get it past the rib on the tube and properly secure the tube. Contact me @ yalikeme@Hotmail.com

Bob Wormell
The secret is that you have to hammer on it. The special factory tool for installing it looks like a length of thickwall tube that just fits over the dipstick tube and bears against the bead on the tube. The side of this tool is machined away so that it can slip over the side of the dipstick tube. Think of half a cylinder. Some have had success using an appropriately sized open end wrench to bear against the bead and provide a place to hammer. Good luck. It's very easy to crush the bead and render the dipstick tube worthless. DO NOT ask me how I know this...
Old August 29th, 2015, 11:51 AM

With the manifold off I have used a box end wrench and slide it over and then get under the car and tap on it right by the block. it is a pain no doubt. Joe is very right on this.